Fender FR-12 preamp mod : The Hissterectomy

I bet they haven't "fixed" a single FR under warranty. Seems sketchy as 💩

But yes the IC swap fix absolutely still hisses .. just less.

Even the V2 still hisses a tiny bit. I can make it pretty much dead silent.... But the price wouldst jive with most of us.

Here is a conversation starter:
They have stopped calling the horn a compression driver in all the recent marketing. I believe it is a cheap piezo. I am about to drop the truth. Publically 🙂. The horn sounds nasty to me. I bet I am right. The driver has a heat sink on it like the cheap headrush / alto HF driver. Hoping the threads are standard. This will be an easy fix.

What say you good folks?
Interesting! It sounds really good to me whatever it is. Especially so with V2 installed. Not that there might not be room for improvement but at the moment I don't feel any need to tweak it anymore. But that doesn't mean I'm not game lol

Same here. With All-black , Oxblood, Voxy grillcloth, etc. Something that doesn't look like a Fender HR Deluxe. . There I said it
I actually like that the FR-12 looks like a Hot Rod Deluxe.

One of the quibbles that many players have with FRFR monitors is that they look like stage monitors and not like guitar amps.

When using the FR-12 and something like a Fractal FM9 it looks more like a traditional guitar amp with a footpedal and is less likely to trigger the anti-digital crowd thus enabling them to judge your tone for what it is instead of having hate of anything that isn't a tube amp color their appreciation of what you're playing.

With a FR-12 and FM9 no one thinks twice about your gear instead of looking at a modeler and a wedge shaped FRFR monitor and thinking "WTF is that? Sounds digital."

I actually like that the FR-12 looks like a Hot Rod Deluxe.

One of the quibbles that many players have with FRFR monitors is that they look like stage monitors and not like guitar amps.

When using the FR-12 and something like a Fractal FM9 it looks more like a traditional guitar amp with a footpedal and is less likely to trigger the anti-digital crowd thus enabling them to judge your tone for what it is instead of having hate of anything that isn't a tube amp color their appreciation of what you're playing.

With a FR-12 and FM9 no one thinks twice about your gear instead of looking at a modeler and a wedge shaped FRFR monitor and thinking "WTF is that? Sounds digital."

That's fine. Hopefully we're all different people. I have at least 25 amps, and have owned many others over the years, and the HRD is just the worst looking to me , pretty much by far. It's just a personal thing. I love old Fender Blondes, and liked the looks of my 61 Deluxe Brown, and the BF , and then SF were ok, but then the HRD did me in. lol I care 0% what anyone else thinks of my gear looks though. I use a Splawn head with a custom Tweed 2x1`2 Pine cab at my gigs every 2 weeks, and noone does that. I also use a Wine/Oxblood Jenkins cab with my black heads. All fine and dandy, as long as they don't look like a HRD lol
p.s. I don't have any anti-digital crowd at any gig. We play probably an average of 3 nites/month and I never get any comment from any other guitarist re: whether I use a Marshall, Splawn, or my Fractal Ax8/monitor. I dial them in pretty much the same to me. I think the anti-digital crowd and the people worrying about the looks of others ' gear, exists on internet forums, but it sure doesn't exist where we live

Last edited:
Hopefully we're all different people...I think the anti-digital crowd and the people worrying about the looks of others ' gear, exists on internet forums, but it sure doesn't exist where we live
I don't know where you live but you're one lucky son of a gun.

Thankfully we are different people with different tastes and preferences and if you don't like the way the HRD looks that's fine with me.

I was pretty indifferent to them until I picked up a George Benson HRD that has a 12at7 preamp tube that delays the onset of distortion and provides more headroom at a greater volume. It's a great amp for Jazz guitarists. I put a Celestion Neo speaker in mine and it's now a great portable combo for my Jazz gigs. The FR-12 with a FM9 looks similar and may prove to be an even better choice for many of my Jazz gigs in small to medium sized venues. I like that it looks like a traditional tube amp combo and won't be an issue for the Jazz purist crowd here in Philadelphia.

Aesthetics are a personal thing; we like what we like and don't like what we don't like. It's all good.

I don't know where you live but you're one lucky son of a gun.

Thankfully we are different people with different tastes and preferences and if you don't like the way the HRD looks that's fine with me.

I was pretty indifferent to them until I picked up a George Benson HRD that has a 12at7 preamp tube that delays the onset of distortion and provides more headroom at a greater volume. It's a great amp for Jazz guitarists. I put a Celestion Neo speaker in mine and it's now a great portable combo for my Jazz gigs. The FR-12 with a FM9 looks similar and may prove to be an even better choice for many of my Jazz gigs in small to medium sized venues. I like that it looks like a traditional tube amp combo and won't be an issue for the Jazz purist crowd here in Philadelphia.

Aesthetics are a personal thing; we like what we like and don't like what we don't like. It's all good.

I'm in Vt. I've played gigs as a part-timer for 40+ years now, but solidly the whole time, and most of our bands and acts share musicians, and also support each other. I literally never have had anyone question digital vs tube. Sooo many of our 'famous/popular' guitarists are using digital setups for some gigs, and tube for others. That's what I do . . I never care what anyone else thinks of my setup, or sound, as I dial in what makes me happy and what I consider works for the gigs/song-styles and sizes, and ease of access. . All my stages are big enough for anything, and contrary to what I read on the forums, we play loud music, but I'm never told to turn down. We play at places that expect what we give. Anyway, I also don't dress fancily, and read so many comments on internet forums saying people shouldn't wear shorts on stage, etc, and it just isn't my life. I assume it varies around the country, but many of us wear short and don't care if we're using digital or tubes. lol.. . Oh well, I definitely can relate to your last sentence, and I admit it's dumb for me not to like the looks of a HRD, but that's just me. . I'm glad for choices, and am getting older, so am not holding out for a non Hrd-looking FR10,etc as I can make anything work for me, but if there were one, and that had the ability to dial in the decent compression driver/horn,I'd buy it and use it at gigs. . lol

I'm in Vt. I've played gigs as a part-timer for 40+ years now, but solidly the whole time, and most of our bands and acts share musicians, and also support each other. I literally never have had anyone question digital vs tube. Sooo many of our 'famous/popular' guitarists are using digital setups for some gigs, and tube for others. That's what I do . . I never care what anyone else thinks of my setup, or sound, as I dial in what makes me happy and what I consider works for the gigs/song-styles and sizes, and ease of access. . All my stages are big enough for anything, and contrary to what I read on the forums, we play loud music, but I'm never told to turn down. We play at places that expect what we give. Anyway, I also don't dress fancily, and read so many comments on internet forums saying people shouldn't wear shorts on stage, etc, and it just isn't my life. I assume it varies around the country, but many of us wear short and don't care if we're using digital or tubes. lol.. . Oh well, I definitely can relate to your last sentence, and I admit it's dumb for me not to like the looks of a HRD, but that's just me. . I'm glad for choices, and am getting older, so am not holding out for a non Hrd-looking FR10,etc as I can make anything work for me, but if there were one, and that had the ability to dial in the decent compression driver/horn,I'd buy it and use it at gigs. . lol
Tweed FR12.JPG
Still hate the looks of a FR12/FR10/HRD?

I'm in Vt. I've played gigs as a part-timer for 40+ years now, but solidly the whole time, and most of our bands and acts share musicians, and also support each other. I literally never have had anyone question digital vs tube. Sooo many of our 'famous/popular' guitarists are using digital setups for some gigs, and tube for others. That's what I do . . I never care what anyone else thinks of my setup, or sound, as I dial in what makes me happy and what I consider works for the gigs/song-styles and sizes, and ease of access. . All my stages are big enough for anything, and contrary to what I read on the forums, we play loud music, but I'm never told to turn down. We play at places that expect what we give. Anyway, I also don't dress fancily, and read so many comments on internet forums saying people shouldn't wear shorts on stage, etc, and it just isn't my life. I assume it varies around the country, but many of us wear short and don't care if we're using digital or tubes. lol.. . Oh well, I definitely can relate to your last sentence, and I admit it's dumb for me not to like the looks of a HRD, but that's just me. . I'm glad for choices, and am getting older, so am not holding out for a non Hrd-looking FR10,etc as I can make anything work for me, but if there were one, and that had the ability to dial in the decent compression driver/horn,I'd buy it and use it at gigs. . lo
I actually lost an opportunity to audition for a band when they found out I was using the axefx. They said they were old guys who just plug into amps, blah blah blah. I count it as a blessing so I didn't have to deal with their stupidity for longer than this though.

I'm in Vt.
That explains a lot.

I went to Bennington College and spent decades in Vt. I know the culture there. Everything you said makes sense for Vt.

As a humorous aside, I was jamming with some friends from my former Brooklyn Hardcore band on the second floor of the Vermont Jazz Center in Brattleboro a few years back. I had my Sig:X and a Fryette FatBottom 2x12. We were hitting pretty hard and suddenly I saw a light shining on the window.

I looked out and it was the Police shining their squad car's spotlight on the window. I opened it and asked "Is there a problem officer?"

He yelled up "You've got to turn the music down!!!"

I said, "Could you hear it outside?"

He replied, "We could hear it all the way up the valley!!"

View attachment 142272
Still hate the looks of a FR12/FR10/HRD?

I'm not a tweed fan either lookswise. I have an original THD Plexi 2x10 in Tweed, and have an open-backed Scumback -loaded 2x12 Pine Cab (that was 1 of my 1st internet forum purchases in the 1990's built by White Sands which was in California back then but seems long gone) I use that one on stage all the time and have for many years, but it's because of the sound, not looks. , My style lookwise is Marshall, Vox, Mesa, Engl, Matchless, Komet etc. . Just not a tweed or Fender silver/black-kinda guy lol.. .

I actually lost an opportunity to audition for a band when they found out I was using the axefx. They said they were old guys who just plug into amps, blah blah blah. I count it as a blessing so I didn't have to deal with their stupidity for longer than this though.

That's just bizarre to me. . 1 of our world-renowned Jazz guitarists up here has used Fractal since day1 (Paul Asbell) He owns/owned all kinds of great amps like I do.. ... . (I've used Fractal since day 1 also, but I'm surely not world-renowned!) I saw the Stick Men this past year locally (Tony Levin, and Markus Reuter) use their Quad Cortex's... I saw Steve Vai using his Synergy modules, and Joe Satriani using his Marshalls and 3rd Power amps, and many other shows from all genres in the past few months, and any guitarist can dial in GREAT tones with almost any piece of gear these days if they know how to do. On the forums, people think Mesa Rectifiers are just good for metal, and I just saw Dada twice last week (In New Hampshire and Boston) and to this day Michael Gurley still uses his Rectifier head and Mesa 4x12, and 1's of the absolutely masters of beautiful clean, semi-clean, lo-drive tones (For 30 years now) . . Anyway, I find so much nit-picking on the forums, and just don't experience it in my real musician/musical life.

Last edited:
That explains a lot.

I went to Bennington College and spent decades in Vt. I know the culture there. Everything you said makes sense for Vt.

As a humorous aside, I was jamming with some friends from my former Brooklyn Hardcore band on the second floor of the Vermont Jazz Center in Brattleboro a few years back. I had my Sig:X and a Fryette FatBottom 2x12. We were hitting pretty hard and suddenly I saw a light shining on the window.

I looked out and it was the Police shining their squad car's spotlight on the window. I opened it and asked "Is there a problem officer?"

He yelled up "You've got to turn the music down!!!"

I said, "Could you hear it outside?"

He replied, "We could hear it all the way up the valley!!"

I know.You've told me this stuff before! Lol. It's still not my life at all, as Bennington/Brattleboro are very different than the more northern/central areas where we live and play. Anyway, it is a funny story , and yes very common for those of us who play outdoor events/parties/pavillions,etc to hear from people miles away, saying" Oh wow that was your band, we heard it from home, x amount of miles away". I can not remember ever though any time a police officer asked anyone to turn down! lol

That's how it is in Jazz gigs here in Philadelphia where "Jazz purists" make up a significant portion of the audience.

The prejudice is more against solid body guitars but among guitar players many are still adamantly against digital modelers.

I'd been using tube combos with Fractal gear for effects only which, if you use the effects very sparingly (some chorus, Leslie, or tremolo now and then), you're not likely to ruffle any feathers. Since the FR-12 looks like a HRD, when using a FR-12 with the FM9 no one will know that the amp tone is coming from the modeler instead of a tube amp.

I don't want to blow this out of proportion, on the whole it's a non-issue but it is a small source of comfort knowing that with the FR-12 the whole digital vs analog thing is unlikely to even come up since almost no one will know it's not a tube amp.

That's just bizarre to me. . 1 of our world-renowned Jazz guitarists up here has used Fractal since day1 (Paul Asbell) He owns/owned all kinds of great amps like I do.. ... . (I've used Fractal since day 1 also, but I'm surely not world-renowned!) I saw the Stick Men this past year locally (Tony Levin, and Markus Reuter) use their Quad Cortex's... I saw Steve Vai using his Synergy modules, and Joe Satriani using his Marshalls and 3rd Power amps, and many other shows from all genres in the past few months, and any guitarist can dial in GREAT tones with almost any piece of gear these days if they know how to do. On the forums, people think Mesa Rectifiers are just good for metal, and I just saw Dada twice last week (In New Hampshire and Boston) and to this day Michael Gurley still uses his Rectifier head and Mesa 4x12. (For 30 years now) . . Anyway, I find so much nit-picking on the forums, and just don't experience it in my real musician/musical life.
I'm from upstate NY, and I remember Paul Abell from his time with the band Kilimanjaro, who played in the Saratoga and the Capital District area. A great fusion band back in the 80's. Saw them open for Jean Luc Ponty, and they were a great opening act. Like you and Paul, I have owned and still have many amps and even have many rack effects from the 80's, as well. However, I have had a Fractal unit since the Ultra, and since that time, I have found it much more convenient and effective in recording. For live situations, the gig and the venue will usually dictate my decision as to whether I use my FM9 or an amp and pedals. It's always great to have options.

I'm not a tweed fan either lookswise. I have an original THD Plexi 2x10 in Tweed, and have an open-backed Scumback -loaded 2x12 Pine Cab (that was 1 of my 1st internet forum purchases in the 1990's built by White Sands which was in California back then but seems long gone) I use that one on stage all the time and have for many years, but it's because of the sound, not looks. , My style lookwise is Marshall, Vox, Mesa, Engl, Matchless, Komet etc. . Just not a tweed or Fender silver/black-kinda guy lol.. .
I totally understand. For me, and I'm certainly not a seasoned player nor expert, but it's about sound. Not looks. I only made the comment with the photo of the tweeds as you had mentioned a tweed so thought it was an aesthetic thing that you didn't like. Anyway, all about sound and also as I get older and due to some medical issues, I've been gravitating towards lighter and more portable like the FR12s. For me they are an ideal solution for my digital setup. But like you said, everyone is different and everyone has different needs within the confines of finding the sound that you like. 👍

PIMPED MY FR-10

Had a bit of Purple Duratex cab paint left over from previous cab projects (cover all my cabs in this stuff its amazing), so thought what the hell and ripped off all the black tolex from my FR-10 and covered it with Duratex. Came out pretty good I think. Also changed the red jewel for a blue one. Was never a fan of Red power jewel's. Last was to spray grill cloth black and I am done.

Love this cab to bits. Never had an FRFR that sounded so transparent. Best FRFR ive tried and ive had them all.

Rock on.

Attachments

• IMG_9873.jpg
    IMG_9873.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9874.jpg
    IMG_9874.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 59
PIMPED MY FR-10

Had a bit of Purple Duratex cab paint left over from previous cab projects (cover all my cabs in this stuff its amazing), so thought what the hell and ripped off all the black tolex from my FR-10 and covered it with Duratex. Came out pretty good I think. Also changed the red jewel for a blue one. Was never a fan of Red power jewel's. Last was to spray grill cloth black and I am done.

Love this cab to bits. Never had an FRFR that sounded so transparent. Best FRFR ive tried and ive had them all.

Rock on.
You did a really professional job on that! Prince would have loved it...LOL. Missing the Tone Master badge on the grill though.

I'm from upstate NY, and I remember Paul Abell from his time with the band Kilimanjaro, who played in the Saratoga and the Capital District area. A great fusion band back in the 80's. Saw them open for Jean Luc Ponty, and they were a great opening act. Like you and Paul, I have owned and still have many amps and even have many rack effects from the 80's, as well. However, I have had a Fractal unit since the Ultra, and since that time, I have found it much more convenient and effective in recording. For live situations, the gig and the venue will usually dictate my decision as to whether I use my FM9 or an amp and pedals. It's always great to have options.

I used to see Kilimanjaro as well! Amazingly talented local band who was borderline very big-time for that type of band. I just used him as an example of someone who saw using a Fractal awhile back, and at the same time I know he had a plethora of old Fenders, Tophats, Demeters,etc , and chose to use that Fractal even though it was for absolutely purist jazz during our Jazz Festival. I am not that kind of guitarist by any means, but just never had anyone question digital vs tubes at my gigs. .. . I see lots of Kempers in action now, NUX, Hotone, Fractal , a bit of Line6, Quad Cortex,etc in almost any musical scenario and then the next day see Mesas and Marshalls with 4x12's. .Options most certainly are a great thing. p.s. I used to spend so much time in the Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga area in pre-internet days going on music store day trips. . Many concerts, and now once in a blue moon to the Casino. Next planned trip there is in October seeing BEAT (The New King Crimson with Steve Vai,etc) at the Albany Egg . That should be exciting. Time for bed now lol Good night

Last edited:
PIMPED MY FR-10

Rock on.

SOOOO MUCHHHHHH BETTER!!! Love it. Great job

Back
Top Bottom