Feedback Question.

the-patient

Inspired
Hey guys!

Just rejoined the Axe-Fx camp this week, after selling my first Standard somewhere around late 7.x.

Needless to say, I'm floored by the strides cliff has taken in terms of the modeling and effects.

Anyhow, I'm experiencing some pretty severe high frequency feedback on some of the high gain patches, even while I'm playing.

I'm running an Art SLA-2 into a 2x12, with the output on the Axe-Fx quite high, and the SLA volume at around 9:30 or 10:00.

Anyway, I'm at a bit of a loss in terms of how to solve the problem, but hoping you guys can help.

I wanna say that I know it's not a flaw in the axe-fx but user error!

Insert a gate/expander block right after the amp block and adjust to taste:)

Mark

A couple of other possible causes:

1. Too much gain;
  2. Microphonic pickups.

Insert a gate/expander block right after the amp block and adjust to taste:)

Mark

Don't need to put it after the amp block. The amp sims to generate any noise of themselves. So you can put the gate in front of the amp (or at least side chain it from the input). You can get away with a lot less gating and its associated issues that way.

Don't need to put it after the amp block. The amp sims to generate any noise of themselves. So you can put the gate in front of the amp (or at least side chain it from the input). You can get away with a lot less gating and its associated issues that way.

With high gain settings, putting the gate after the amp block helps with stopping unwanted feedback especially in very loud stage volume situations. Kinda like an ISP Decimator ProRack G :)

Trust me it works like a charm and yields the same effect as a Decimator.

I didn't know that. Thanks, Mark!

Any tips for similar feedback elimination with acoustic guitars where there may not be an amp or cab block involved?

Thanks for the tips guys! I've been following/listening to your patches for a while now Mark! Enjoying the fact that winter has actually kind of decided to leave Canada now? I know I am!

Regarding the feedback, the gate did solve it for my PRS, but I'm still having problems with my hollowbody, I believe the neck pickup might be microphonic. That coupled with the resonance of the body is causing me a bit of trouble. Ah well, I'll see what I can do!

With high gain settings, putting the gate after the amp block helps with stopping unwanted feedback especially in very loud stage volume situations. Kinda like an ISP Decimator ProRack G :)

I too am having problems with unwanted high pitched feedback (and not only on high gain patches). I use an RCF NX 12-SMA, set to very high stage volumes (necessary because of how loud my drummer plays). How does your method differ from using the Gate on the input (which is the method I have been using exclusively)?

I am having a secondary problem in that I cannot get the sort of controlled, melodic feedback I need, even crouching over the monitor. Is there some secret to dialling in patches that feed back and sustain in a musical way?

Last edited:

I have no doubt that this works well for you. But to get it working similarly (not exactly) the Decimator ProRack G (I have 2), you need to set it up like I described above with the side-chain select set to input. That is what the prorack-G does. It takes the signal from the guitar and gates after the amp.

This is stated here in the decimator manual:
" The guitar plugs directly into the channel 1 input and the level and frequency detectors for both channel 1 and channel 2 measure the direct guitar input signal. This means that changing from a clean sound to a high gain distorted will not affect the signal seen by the detectors. "

I was doing just as suggest after the amp then Cliff informed me that it was not necessary because the amp block doesn't generate any noise so if it is gated before it will be quiet. I tried it and found his statement to be true.

Also, the squealing solution the prorack-g uses has to do with a dynamic filter that is detected at input 1 (guitar) and set by the threshold. I've tried to emulate this on the axe-fx but have not had a whole lot of success.

Back
Top Bottom