feedback issues, can you have a look see?

Dudeskin

Inspired
Hi all.
ive been meaning to put this up for a long time, but i always forget.
so, i have my main patch that im mostly happy with. sounds really good through my studio monitors, and sounds nearly as good through whatever cab i might be using at the time at the practice room.

now i know a lot of you guys say you have never had feedback problems, so i think i have your share of it haha.

this video was taken a few weeks back, and it was just to show what im dealing with rather than a thought out video.
ive put some pic of it too of the bits in the patch.
please dont assume i know anything haha.

TURN DOWN YOUR SPEAKERS JUST INCASE! :lol:lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZLZZPeq8Kw

(cab bypass when at practice)

i have sometimes the gate so harsh its hard to play and i still get that high pitch ringing after. even when my hands are fully damping both ends of the strings.
i need to be able to play short stop starts and its so difficult at the moment. it does get better in one of the rooms we use. but it seems like i can have a good start of practice and then as time goes on it gets worse. it doesnt matter where i stand most of the time either.

i dont know what to try. ive already gone into global EQ and played around to try and find if its in one area but no luck.
the guitar is chambered. its a strandberg boden 8 with lace x-bars if that helps.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

what you're hearing is called "microphonic feedback". if your gate wasn't on, you'd hear that all the time when standing in front of your speaker with the guitar volume up. it's usually caused by poor quality pickups. some vintage pickups do it as well and the problem can be solved by "wax potting" (or dipping them in hot wax). a better solution for you may be to invest in some decent pickups.
until then, with the gate off, try turning your back to the speaker and moving away from it slightly. the process is mechanical and relies on proximity and volume, so you may be able to move far enough away for it to stop. otherwise turn down, or reduce gain.

The key word that explains those pups is (Extended Range) How do they mount to the guitar?

I wondering because of the way those pups are made if you place a PEQ 1st the signal chain and work the highs you might be able to reduce the squealing effect. Use a Blocking type and start at 20k and roll the freq down and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
sounds right to me, its in my 8 string.
as far as i can see, then screw direct to the body. its a really tight fit so i cant see down too far and they dont move.

sounds right to me, its in my 8 string.
as far as i can see, then screw direct to the body. its a really tight fit so i cant see down too far and they dont move.

So that somewhat rulles out lose vibration, the foam under the pup might help with the really small vibrations which will contribute to the squealing. There are defiantly some weird things going on with the combination of FRFR and those pups. I'm totally guessing here but because they are an extended range pup it's working both ways, so a lot like a mic would and we all know what happens when you get to close to a monitor with a mic.

You're getting that feedback from Lace Alumitone pups? You should contact Lace about that and see if they have any suggestions as those pickups shouldn't be microphonic.

For the record, I use Lace Alumitones (not that model but the pickup design is the same) in most of my guitars and have never heard anything like that even playing pretty loud with gobs of distortion.

What is the position of your axe FX relative to your cab?
It is possible that input module on your Axe FX is itself microphonic, as they all are to a degree, and that when your preset is "too hot" if there's contact between your cab and the Axe FX chassis.

Cheers guys. Appreciate the help.
I've just got the contact info for lace and will contact them tomorrow.

As for the axe fx it's sat on too of the cab. I haven't got practice for a few weeks so it's hard to test that one at the moment. Very interesting though. Anything else I can do to check that?

Cheers guys. Appreciate the help.
I've just got the contact info for lace and will contact them tomorrow.

As for the axe fx it's sat on too of the cab. I haven't got practice for a few weeks so it's hard to test that one at the moment. Very interesting though. Anything else I can do to check that?

Somehow I doubt it's the AxeFX, as in your video, you only got feedback when standing in a certain place relative to the speaker, which is typical of microphonic pickups. It was very consistent, yet the Axe wasn't being moved.

I'm betting on a loose magnet that is mounted in the aluminum "fork" that makes up the Alumitones. I believe the fork is plated in nickel, which would make it highly susceptible to feedback -- same reason that non-ferrous nickel silver humbucker covers can cause feedback issue - the nickel is highly ferrous. Does it stop if you press down on one of the magnets?

What you are getting is likely magnetic feedback. This is an issue unique to FRFR amplification. The tweeter creates a magnetic feedback loop with the pickups. The closer you get to the speaker the more feedback until the point it squeals. The only solution is to move away from the speaker or turn down the gain/volume.

Since I see this come up a lot, are there any FRFR speakers that don't suffer from this issue? Or any that are less sensitive to it than others?

Do you have the same feedback issues with that guitar when playing over other gear then the Axe?
I also have much more feedback issues when playing with my Axe fx then when playing with the exact same guitars over other gear. I am using Axe-Matrix GT1000-2 Mesa Thiele cabs. Really don't know what to do about it. Tried multiple guitars so the guitars can't be the issue. Also don't use very high gain. Just light to medium drive. I guess for metal guys it must be really annoying. I feel that the Axe is more sensitive to feedback somehow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom