FCB1010

Well I've had enough :oops:

I bought an FCB1010 today and for the entire day have been trying to get some stompboxes to switch but no luck.

I'll just come clean here - I am an IDIOT with any midi device (I'm just not that interested until it suits me - like now).

If I could just get a switch on the FCB to control the delay on & off in a preset I made I'd be a happy guy!

Anyone? Help?

Also - not sure if I even have the chip upgrade (I just bought it new today).

here is how jay runs his...
...from another thread...
Jay Mitchell said:
I use a Behringer FCB1010 (non-Uno). I operate it in non-Direct Select Mode. The FCB presets in Bank 00 are all set for stompbox-type use, i.e., they don't send a PC command, only CCs.

I have Bank 01 in the FCB programmed to call up my go-to presets. That gives me access to as many as 10 presets (so far, I've never used more than four on a gig) by pressing two switches (Up switch to select Bank 01, then one of ten preset-select footswitches). Once I've selected the preset I want for the song we're about to play, I go back to Bank 00 (press Down switch once). Now I have 10 stompbox selections available. At present, I've implemented eight of those, including one to set tap tempo and one to select tuner/mute.

that is a none Uno setup...

if you have uno poke around here
http://www.voes.be/fcb1010/index.htm

Can the FCB1010 be set so that all the buttons control CCs? I could use something that just gives me some more CC buttons and was wondering if this would do it.

D

dk_ace said:
Can the FCB1010 be set so that all the buttons control CCs? I could use something that just gives me some more CC buttons and was wondering if this would do it.

D

NO!

voes said:
dk_ace said:

D

NO!
er... really?

I mean, aside from the Up/Down footswitches... I think it can.
Granted, they won't all give you the on/off state feedback via LED, but there's no reason that I can think of that you can't remove the PCs from each pedal and only use CCs.

Or was that a sarcastic "NO!"?

You can have 1-10 (or 0-9 if you will) be all CCs & no PCs. I use it for my bank ".08" to control the looper w/UnO exactly like it's described. I need to take a screen shot of the RipWerx.

LAYGO said:
You can have 1-10 (or 0-9 if you will) be all CCs & no PCs. I use it for my bank ".08" to control the looper w/UnO exactly like it's described. I need to take a screen shot of the RipWerx.

godprobe said:
voes said:
dk_ace said:

D

NO!
er... really?

I mean, aside from the Up/Down footswitches... I think it can.
Granted, they won't all give you the on/off state feedback via LED, but there's no reason that I can think of that you can't remove the PCs from each pedal and only use CCs.

Or was that a sarcastic "NO!"?

Sorry, really thought that it was not possible!

So, I did the modifications to my FCB a month or two back. I finally got around to ordering the female MIDI connectors last week. I worked on the box (I'm storing the MIDI connectors in a small plastic box, complete with a 2.1mm power jack so I can use a standard power adapter without having to chop an end off). I tested out the power by chopping the end off of a universal adapter that I never use, and soldered it on to pins 1+5 of the MIDI connector. I plugged the whole apparatus in, and the FCB powered up!

But with one hitch: It only displays an "8", and never changes. Nothing responds.

Has anyone had this issue? Did I get the polarity (though I'm assuming polarity doesn't matter..) wrong?

thadood said:
So, I did the modifications to my FCB a month or two back. I finally got around to ordering the female MIDI connectors last week. I worked on the box (I'm storing the MIDI connectors in a small plastic box, complete with a 2.1mm power jack so I can use a standard power adapter without having to chop an end off). I tested out the power by chopping the end off of a universal adapter that I never use, and soldered it on to pins 1+5 of the MIDI connector. I plugged the whole apparatus in, and the FCB powered up!

But with one hitch: It only displays an "8", and never changes. Nothing responds.

Has anyone had this issue? Did I get the polarity (though I'm assuming polarity doesn't matter..) wrong?

Here is how I phantom powered my FCB w/o any major soldering of a MIDI jack. I soldered the wires together for the bridge rectifiers/2.5 power tips. Required no cutting of tips on any adapter. Easily reversible on the RDMH900 cable, and can still use the factory method for power.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4002

The only real fault of this setup is that's really only good for the FCB + Axe-FX. You'd need that separate female MIDI pigtail for any other device. But I dunno about you, but I ain't selling my Axe-FX anytime soon! >:D

Jay Mitchell said:
I use a Behringer FCB1010 (non-Uno). I operate it in non-Direct Select Mode. The FCB presets in Bank 00 are all set for stompbox-type use, i.e., they don't send a PC command, only CCs.

I have Bank 01 in the FCB programmed to call up my go-to presets. That gives me access to as many as 10 presets (so far, I've never used more than four on a gig) by pressing two switches (Up switch to select Bank 01, then one of ten preset-select footswitches). Once I've selected the preset I want for the song we're about to play, I go back to Bank 00 (press Down switch once). Now I have 10 stompbox selections available. At present, I've implemented eight of those, including one to set tap tempo and one to select tuner/mute.

This would work for me - but I have NO IDEA how to program a control change (which I think is the ability to switch say, delay on or off). All it does is change from preset to preset by bank & number.

Can I program it to switch delay on & off within the same preset? If so how? I know, I am an idiot. Please help :oops:

Sharkdog said:
Jay Mitchell said:

This would work for me - but I have NO IDEA how to program a control change (which I think is the ability to switch say, delay on or off). All it does is change from preset to preset by bank & number.

Can I program it to switch delay on & off within the same preset? If so how? I know, I am an idiot. Please help :oops:
Are you able to program the presets that it sends yet? (i.e. are you familiar with how to edit anything on the FCB yet?)

If you are able to program presets, the CCs really aren't much more difficult.
Ossandust, who wrote the optional UnO firmware upgrade code, also penned a programming guide for both the UnO and non-UnO firmwares. You can find the non-UnO version at the FCB1010 Yahoo Group here (registration is probably required)...
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1 ... /*%20HELP/
...under "Programming the FCB1010.pdf"
I highly recommend getting that guide and printing it out as it is much easier to follow than the official manual. Preset configuration starts on page 9 of that doc, and under that section, in Step 3, is "How to program CC1 (controller change message 1)" [there are two CCs per footswitch available on the FCB].

Additionally, this passage on pages 3/4 is extremely relevant...
Ossandust's FCB1010 Programming Guide said:
3. CC 1 .. 2
Each patch can send up to 2 Controller Change messages. Each message consists of a CC command byte, followed by a CC number between 0 and 127, and a value, also between 0 and 127.

Toggling CC:
Instead of sending both CC messages at the same time, a patch can also send alternating CC values: the first time a patch is selected, it sends CC1 with value1; if the patch footswitch is clicked a second time, it sends CC2 with value 2.

This mode is automatically enabled when following conditions are met :
  • CC1 and CC2 are both enabled [/*:m:2p9rqwm7]
  • CC1 and CC2 use the same MIDI channel [/*:m:2p9rqwm7]
  • CC1 and CC2 used the same Control number[/*:m:2p9rqwm7]
If that seems over your head, just take it slow. A week of headaches with the FCB and you'll be a genius on it afterward. A day of headaches and you'll have a decent idea of what it can do. Two days, and you should be able to program anything it can do while referencing that guide.

(On the MIDI and Axe-Fx end of things... a CC is a number, and a value. Pick a CC number... any number 1-127 will do (do not pick zero! -- CC number 0 switches between the three Axe-Fx banks; won't harm anything, but can be confusing at first). A CC value of 64 or greater (most people just use the max of 127) will toggle an effect block on, and a CC value of 63 or less (most people just use the lowest value, 0) will toggle an effect block off. How do you know which CC number will toggle which effect block? You set it up by reading about the Axe-Fx's I/O menu, Control page (I think that's where it is, but I don't have my Axe-Fxes powered right now to check for sure.))

Lastly... for the UnO people, voes has a copy of the UnO version of the Guide on his site (see the first post in this thread) in the Howto section.

Also, if you can't get your head around it doing the stomp dance on the FCB, check out RipWerx. It's amazingly simple & effective once you understand it. It's not really hard, just seems intimidating.

OK thanks godprobe. I got the pdf manual from the user group.

I did a PC change (inadvertently) from watching a youtube vid for FCB. I copied my preset #1 on the AFX (used to be 0 until I figured out the display offset!) to bank 01 patch 1 (or 11) - so it goes in order (1,2,3 etc) until 11 which I preset accidentally to 1. So to answer your question, not really ;)

Here's one thing - the way Jay says he has it set up would be perfect for what I want - bank 00 has all of his CC's (he says he has 8) and bank 01 has 10 presets - so he chooses his preset in bank 01 and then goes to bank 00 and can then select stompboxes assigned in bank 00. But the manuals talk about only having the ability to have 2 CC's and apparently they must be controlled by pedal #'s 6 & 7 ????

I'll keep reading.

Each footswitch (1-10) can send two different CCs (or toggle between two values on a single CC). And the built-in expression pedals can each send a single CC of varying value (because it's an expression pedal). Two different things, both send CCs.

Each footswitch can also send up to five PCs, on multiple channels, which is nice if you have five MIDI things hooked up to a single FCB -- you're able to set the patch on all five at once. Not really useful at all with just the FCB and one device (such as the Axe-Fx) though.

And each footswitch can send a Note On/Note Off message, if I recall correctly. Again, not useful with the Axe-Fx. But it's there if you need it later.

And they can toggle the two built-in switches (see the back of the FCB) on/off. You can use this with the Pedal 1/Pedal 2 on the Axe-Fx to toggle some functions, but for now, ignore it.

LAYGO said:
Also, if you can't get your head around it doing the stomp dance on the FCB, check out RipWerx. It's amazingly simple & effective once you understand it. It's not really hard, just seems intimidating.
+1 to that, including the "not really hard, just seems intimidating." Hooking the FCB up to your computer is nearly the same procedure as with the Axe-Fx. Just like with the Axe-Fx Editor, you can edit the FCB's patches on your computer, but IIRC, it doesn't happen in real-time so you load a dump from the FCB, edit away in RipWerx, then send the edits back. I usually do the dancing method though. :)

guitarded said:
Does anyone know...if the Ripwerks editor works on a None-Uno FCB?
I don't think sharkdog has the Uno

Correct - I do not have the Uno. I would just assume foot pedal program it anyway.

guitarded said:
good point... thought it did, but from the Ripwerks web site...
ripwerx.com said:
What's New with Version 2.1?
  • No longer need to reselect MIDI devices upon each use. This was a problem with certain MIDI interface units.[/*:m:z9nxmlr9]
  • Updated to support Ossandust's unofficial firmware version UnO v1.0.2f.[/*:m:z9nxmlr9]
  • Dropped support of Original Behringer firmware.[/*:m:z9nxmlr9]
  • Version checker has been updated to be aware of additional firmware versions.[/*:m:z9nxmlr9]
Here's an alternative (also an excellent editor)...
http://www.mtnsys.com/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

Thinking about doing this:
Midi only uses three out of the five available pins on the plug ( http://www.interfacebus.com/PC_MIDI_Pinout.html ). UTP Cat-5 cables have 8 wires. I could have midi in and midi out and still two wires available for power on an ordinary Cat-5 cable. I don't think the power supply current would induce so much that it would mess up the midi commands.

So, what I'm thinking is this: take the power supply out of the FCB, mount it in an external box, along with a short midi patch cable cut in two (feed both through holes in the box and later connect them to to Axe, mark in and out) and fix an RJ45 chassis mount buss. Connect all the necessary wires to the RJ45. Velcro this to the floor of the Axe's rack case. Or tape it. Or screw it down.
On the FCB close the gap where the power supply used to be with something (probably some sheet metal), put another UTP chassis mount on that something and connect that to the respective terminals of the midi sockets. Of course in parallel to the original midi connections, so you can still use them. Add a commonly found power-supply socket next to the UTP and you can still use the FCB with a suitable power supply and standard midi cables.

Cat-5 cables go for like, three bucks for the 15ft versions? No problem to have a couple of backups, I already have lots of these lying around. Parts for all of this are probably still less than one Rocktron 7-pin Midi cable.

godprobe said:
guitarded said:
good point... thought it did, but from the Ripwerks web site...
ripwerx.com said:
What's New with Version 2.1?
  • No longer need to reselect MIDI devices upon each use. This was a problem with certain MIDI interface units.[/*:m:37r3xn3m]
  • Updated to support Ossandust's unofficial firmware version UnO v1.0.2f.[/*:m:37r3xn3m]
  • Dropped support of Original Behringer firmware.[/*:m:37r3xn3m]
  • Version checker has been updated to be aware of additional firmware versions.[/*:m:37r3xn3m]
Here's an alternative (also an excellent editor)...
http://www.mtnsys.com/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

There is an older version of RipWerx available that does non-UnO FCB's.

I think PC Editor has a spread sheet view as well. I'm way too lazy to try to learn the stompbox method! ;)

Back
Top Bottom