FAMC Liquid Foot+ Axe-Fx III support

I couldn’t get expression pedals to work. I chose continuous pedal types with CC values of 16 and 11 using the axe-fx iii midi channel. The app detects the pedals moving. And I verified the settings on the LF+JR+ itself.

However, the AF3 shows no incoming MIDI data when I move the pedals.

One new feature that I lobbied for allows us to use preset programming lines to turn blocks on and bypass and also select channels.

This is a big deal because #1, the Axe III has more things that are controllable, than 128 Cc numbers. Since the channels feature, is the primary culprit of this problem, I had asked Fractal to allow all channel commands to be assignable to a second midi channel, but they didn’t do it.

What I found with ver 6, is that I ran out of 180 ia slots, if I used the new ia configurator, for every Axe feature. I had no ia slots left for my other gear!

So, now we don’t have to make ia slots for every axe feature. We can control any and every effect and channels via the preset commands.

This means, we really only need to assign midi cc’s to axe features that require sweep ranges. Maybe your primary inputs and outputs, and the 16 modifiers.

The LF will not need midi for on/bypass or channels, because it is using Sysex behind the scenes, to control things now.

Now the axe fx is only using 20-22 cc numbers and has room to grow - if more continuous controllers are added to the axe firmware.

On the LF system side, we no longer need to include an ia in our preset’s ia map, in order to control that parameter. We can load ia slots in the ia map for all the common commands we probably use often Drive, amps, delays, reverbs and their channel ia slots. But we can issue commands in the preset command lines, for any axe feature.

Simplified programming inside the axe and max flexibility in the LF. Now channels and effect on/bypasses do not need to count against our 180 LF slots, unless we want the repetitive ones at our finger tips.

Happy Programming

Ps - if you rely on LF polling the axe for effect status and channel status, ignore this post. You will need LF ia slots for the axe to update.

Last edited:
So far so good! The only issue I've had with v6.02 is the tuner shows weird characters. The Readme doc with tutorials is written a lot better than the v4.10 manual. The External Device Sync feature works a lot better than it used to.

I kind of wish I would have waited to buy my Axe-Fx III bc it's on sale in the USA for 10% off and now the LF+ supports it.

The only wish I have is to make the Axe-Fx II sync the same way as the Axe-Fx III and be able to automatically identify which device is connected. This is possible because the II uses similar MIDI SysEx as the III. The II and III both use MIDI SysEx to be controlled by Axe-Edit. The main difference is that the II MIDI SysEx specs aren't provided by FAS, so you have to rely on the FAS Wiki documentation and trial and error.

I've found bugs in the editor - I'm also using only 1 midi cable, I assume we need 2 to sync preset names, tuner etc..?? I haven't used the lf+12+ in awhile but iirc I didn't need but one cable on the Axe-II.

I've reported some bugs and requested selecting cycle amp channels a-b on one ia switch and channels c-d on another so it will react more like some amp channel switching behavior with 2 switches.

I'm also using only 1 midi cable, I assume we need 2 to sync preset names, tuner etc..?? I haven't used the lf+12+ in awhile but iirc I didn't need but one cable on the Axe-II.

The Axe-Fx III MIDI IN and OUT only use the standard 3 pins, so they only transfer data in one direction. The Axe-Fx II MIDI IN uses 7 pins, so it uses the standard 3 pins for MIDI IN, 4 and 5 for MIDI OUT and 6 and 7 for Phantom power.

You can use 2 MIDI cables with the III and LF+ or if you only want to use 1 cable you can make your own custom cable.

You can make a Phantom power box or buy a FAMC Phantom Power Box for $28.99 at https://www.famcmusic.com/product/phantom-power-box/ but you would need 2 short standard MIDI cables and 1 7pin MIDI cable.

I already have a FAMC Phantom Power Box and 7pin MIDI cables, so I'm going to make some 1ft standard MIDI cables to go from the III's MIDI IN and OUT to the Phantom power box.

The Axe-Fx III MIDI IN and OUT only use the standard 3 pins, so they only transfer data in one direction. The Axe-Fx II MIDI IN uses 7 pins, so it uses the standard 3 pins for MIDI IN, 4 and 5 for MIDI OUT and 6 and 7 for Phantom power.

You can use 2 MIDI cables with the III and LF+ or if you only want to use 1 cable you can make your own custom cable.

You can make a Phantom power box or buy a FAMC Phantom Power Box for $28.99 at https://www.famcmusic.com/product/phantom-power-box/ but you would need 2 short standard MIDI cables and 1 7pin MIDI cable.

I already have a FAMC Phantom Power Box and 7pin MIDI cables, so I'm going to make some 1ft standard MIDI cables to go from the III's MIDI IN and OUT to the Phantom power box.

Do you have a schematic and I'll dig up the ole soldering iron?

Do you have a schematic and I'll dig up the ole soldering iron?

I have the MIDI Pinouts in my Tutorial http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...#MIDI_IN.2FOUT_Pinout_Specs_for_5pin_and_7pin

I'm going to add a schematic when I update my tutorial for v6. I was actually planning to make a cable similar to the one you just bought from ebay because I use Cat6 cable to make my MIDI cables. My cable was going to have one end like yours with a MIDI IN and OUT but with a power connector to connect the power adapter and the other end will only have a 7pin for MIDI IN/OUT/Power.

I was jazzed to see it released for PC, but I can't get the dang firmware to load. My Jr+ keeps giving me a "Firmware Failed Error 033" message. I tried it several times last night without success (actually got a few other error codes). I deleted the firmware from my computer and downloaded it again 1/2 an hour ago without any change. I filed a ticket last night, but assume FAMC is enjoying the holiday today. Anyone else have issues like this? If it matters, my editor is 5.10 and Jr+ is 5.12

Firmware updated easily - still working with the editor to get a setup I want. editor is buggy and I don't have 2 way communication yet.

maybe try another usb cable?

Make sure the jr+ is on and hooked to the computer before you start the editor.

Firmware updated easily - still working with the editor to get a setup I want. editor is buggy and I don't have 2 way communication yet.

maybe try another usb cable?

Make sure the jr+ is on and hooked to the computer before you start the editor.

Good ideas...sadly I've tried all of these without success. Thanks for the ideas and good luck on your programing! I wonder why FAS changed to a 3 pin (wired) plug on the Axe III instead of using the same setup as on the II?

I wonder why FAS changed to a 3 pin (wired) plug on the Axe III instead of using the same setup as on the II?

It's been around since the standard and ultra days I believe, so I'm surprised it stayed as long as it did.

I've been playing with computers since the mid 80's and have seen ports and connections come and go and improvements made everywhere. The only thing that hasn't changed much is midi o_O I wish they would make a backwards compatible adapter and throw it all out and make something better, connectors, speed, function, power standard etc...

I had Editor v5.10 and upgraded my LF+ from v5.11 to v6.02. I then upgraded the editor to v6.02. The only issues I have are that the tuner shows weird characters and the Editor's graphics take a bit to refresh ever time I switch to a different tab.

Back
Top Bottom