External Switches

JohnLutz

There's a video showing how to setup two switches per PDL jack on the FM3...

...Can the same be done on the FM9?

How do I get FM9 to show Switch 2 (Tip), Switch 2 (Ring)?

I have a dual footswitch connected via Y-cable (TS+TS => TRS) to PDL2 on my FM9. When I look at either Setup-I/O-Pedal 2 or Setup-FC Controllers-Stand In Switches, I only see a single Switch 2. How do I get it to understand there are two switches connected via TRS?

John

It was delineated some months back that the FM9 could only support one switch per jack, where PDL 1 accepted TRS or TS for either an expression pedal or a simple TS connection.

PDL jacks 2 and 3 supported, IIRC, solely TS connections. The FM3 and FC6/12 did not have this issue, and could support either TRS or TS for its PDL jacks.

(EDIT: Correction: FM9 PDL jacks 1, 2, & 3 can support either TRS or TS. However, PDL jacks 1, 2, & 3 only support one pedal or switch each.)

Also at this writing, the FM9 external switches can still only support NC (normally closed) or NO (normally open) momentary switches.

Here are some relevant posts that help describe what external switches can and can't do, how to set them up from the front panel, and how they respond when utilized.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/which-external-switch-do-you-use-with-your-fm9.180033/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...to-your-2-button-external-foot-switch.180799/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bug-stand-in-switch-behavior-with-tap-hold.177734/

Last edited:
PDL jacks 2 and 3 supported, IIRC, solely TS connections. The FM3 and FC6/12 did not have this issue, and could support either TRS or TS for its PDL jacks.
This is not correct...

All 3 jacks work with TRS cable with an expression pedal, OR a single external switch each with either a TS or TRS cable.

This is not correct...

All 3 jacks work with TRS cable with an expression pedal, OR a single external switch each with either a TS or TRS cable.

Thanks for the correction. Should have remembered that, as my previous build had 2 expression pedals before one was swapped out and external switches put in as replacements.

As I recall, my PDL jack 3 was feeling lonely at the time, hence the reason for the bon voyage to one expression pedal and the 2 externals nestled next to the expression. My 2 externals' configs are TUNER and HOME. My previous post contains links for setting up your external via the front panel. Also, the OP's video is a valuable resource.

Thanks for the clarification. I still don't understand why the FM9 shouldn't be able to do everything the FM3 can do and more.
I agree that it was a curious choice, but I trust that it was well reasoned. It might have been unreasonably expensive to have the dual switch capable jacks.

The direct price on the FM9 is almost the same as the Helix floor, so I suspect that hitting that price point was a high priority.

I just got an external 2 button momentary footswitch, Amazon product ASIN B0BGP3B6C4. I have it connected to the pedal 3 jack with a TRS cable. Does this mean I won't have access to both footswitches on it, only 1?
Correct. The FM9 jacks only support a single switch each.

You can get a TRS to dual mono and use 2 jacks.

HOSA makes one that actually labels the sides as Tip and Ring, which could help getting things plugged in and setup correctly.

I haven't tried this as I created my own TS switches.

Correct. The FM9 jacks only support a single switch each.

You can get a TRS to dual mono and use 2 jacks.

HOSA makes one that actually labels the sides as Tip and Ring, which could help getting things plugged in and setup correctly.

I haven't tried this as I created my own TS switches.

I do this with a TRS to 2 x TS cable and it works fine. I am using normally closed momentary switches and this Rockboard cable:

https://www.mannys.com.au/rockboard...AcmUsLZQF0ETNCrUw3br-kaPCRAxxYWxoCqx4QAvD_BwE

Last edited:
It is a shame the FM9 doesn't have the same pedal functionality as the FM3 pedal inputs. I have worked around this freeing up an input by running my expression pedal into one of the cute little Disaster Area Midi-Babys. Works well.

y4mRLo4nS4P4g5b-U8h3vqgbP_wyeNRuTCy0A9qdj6oj-LdYbXrbLTf-WffTpOG9kZdoGhB4P9IsaaqWuJ1j_590FRKaj0Q3EP6RTeTiSgGf6XZukonsosRDigOm6bHmax5cq1FRWULQ7V6dyrU02tgi4q8ni545sJxN4__uAgebTCIrHVWpwVUuXPFLiVM6dH4

It is a shame the FM9 doesn't have the same pedal functionality as the FM3 pedal inputs. I have worked around this freeing up an input by running my expression pedal into one of the cute little Disaster Area Midi-Babys. Works well.

y4mRLo4nS4P4g5b-U8h3vqgbP_wyeNRuTCy0A9qdj6oj-LdYbXrbLTf-WffTpOG9kZdoGhB4P9IsaaqWuJ1j_590FRKaj0Q3EP6RTeTiSgGf6XZukonsosRDigOm6bHmax5cq1FRWULQ7V6dyrU02tgi4q8ni545sJxN4__uAgebTCIrHVWpwVUuXPFLiVM6dH4
I use the AudioFront Expression IO for a similar case but with 4 expression pedals ;)

Older picture and a newer one of my updated pedals.B1EBDB26-4F71-44C8-9F45-F7646D4FC6C3.jpeg31933E68-6CAA-4C71-854D-0F3F7586F869.jpeg

I use the AudioFront Expression IO for a similar case but with 4 expression pedals ;)

Older picture and a newer one of my updated pedals.

Yes, I had a close look at the Audiofront after seeing you used it unixguy, but went with the baby as my expression needs are much simpler than yours (way simpler! :) ) and I only have 240V and 5V USB power to the board. That said, I have recently got my hands on a cable with a 5V usb to 9V converter which would probably have sorted the power supply issue.

Back
Top Bottom