Which External Switch do you use with your FM9?

stm113

Power User
I am sure this has been covered and I did some forum searching but I thought I would ask.

I am looking to use 3 external controllers with my FM9 like this...
1- I have a Mission EP-1 (with the return to heel spring) that I want to use for the WAH (auto on)
2- I would like to get a dual switch for 2 & 3 to control Tuner & Tap Tempo,

What dual switch would you all suggest? I have been looking at some but I think if I am not careful I am going to end up spending more than I need to, when there may be one of great quality for a lesser price that I overlooked because I was "switch-matized" by cool.

Currently, 2 externals, both momentary closed:

1. Tuner.
2. Home. (Brings me back to Layout 7 (Perform), user preset 384). Designed to prevent scrolling thru banks + or - and takes me to my MAIN RIG. Would like to consider re-working the HOME button to something else, but cannot for the life of me think what else would be appropriate. A HOME button is already present in my mini-displays on each Layout page. Perhaps the TAP TEMPO button, which is buried among my effects...

I built my own switches from this website:

https://lovemyswitches.com

For my build, I scavenged/soldered a TRS cable for the 2 plugs and cable, and used 2 momentary closed (momentary open might work better for you, if one changes the polarity), as well as large washers which covered the large holes in my Temple Audio board, as well as finishing washers from the switches website which added a nice touch. Topped it off with some Loc-Tite liquid so the screws and washers wouldn't loosen up.

This was my first and only time soldering, and it required a multimeter, a soldering gun, several soldering accessories, the TRS cable, the 2 switches, and both the large and finishing washers.

Be sure to NOT allow the switches to rotate while you're installing them on your board, otherwise you'll break soldering contacts. Lesson learned, and some secondary soldering was needed to remedy the problem.

But now, all switches work correctly, no issues. HOLD function does not work for momentary closed switches; FM9 firmware does not allow for that yet.

Last edited:
The Mosky dual switch works if you get an insert splitter adapter cable to turn the TRS into a pair of TS plugs. I use mine for a couple of extra "floating" control switches for frequently used items, varied per preset....

Back
Top Bottom