• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Examples of excellent vibrato

groovenut

Forum Addict
Lynch, DiMartini and Vai all use a similar very nice sounding vibrato. I like Timmons as well. I think everyone has clued in to Hammett's lack of vibrato skills ;) but I'll add another name to the bad vibrato list, Steve Morse. He's a great player but his vibrato is in the same league as Hammett's (when I've seen him live anyway). I always thought Jeff Healey had a great unique vibrato too because of the way it was created.

Brock

Veteran
+1 Steve Morse vibrato = baaaad. It's amazing to have achieved such a high level of playing and totally missed that aspect of it. To me, vibrato, almost infallibly (Morse is an exception here), is a tell of the guitarist's maturity and playing ability. In a In The Listening Room, Malmsteen said of Morse something to the effect of "with a vibrato like that, he should play the f*n banjo!".

FWIW, I dislike that Yngwie is softening up. I much preferred his diarrhea-of-the-mouth style interviews where he dissed other famous guitarists without hesitation or abandon. The thing is is he's basically like a child - his abuse doesn't come from a place of malevolence, but rather is honesty unhindered by social filters. Most of the time I agreed with him. I would be excited to a read a Yngwie interview because I always felt like I got my money's worth afterward. Now's he's playing nice(r). I vote Yngwie gets back on the drugs.

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
For the first few years of playing guitar, I pretty much worshipped Metallica. I remember the first time I discovered a scale naturally where I proceeded to map these series of notes out in every position and developed a few distinct patterns amongst the positions. I took it to my music instructor and it turns out to be E Minor Pentatonic. Of course. Needless to say, I didn't even know vibrato existed, much less that it was important.

Top Bottom