Examples of excellent vibrato

Rook

Power User
Inspired by the technique thread, can you post examples of artists who you think have excellent vibrato. I'll get Dave Gilmour out of the way straight away, but I also think Yngwie Malmsteen deserves a mention. Seriously.

Who does it for you?

Clapton has one of the best slow vibratos, BB King has the best fast and Kirk Hammett (and I'm a huge Metallica fan) has one of the worst IMHO. :)

I'd have to throw Beck in there as well. But he's so frickin' unconventional that its not really the one bit of his playing that stands out if you know what I mean.

Clapton has one of the best slow vibratos, BB King has the best fast and Kirk Hammett (and I'm a huge Metallica fan) has one of the worst IMHO. :)

I'd have to throw Beck in there as well. But he's so frickin' unconventional that its not really the one bit of his playing that stands out if you know what I mean.

Agree on Hammett...

Not on Beck. Listen to some tracks from Emotion and Commotion - some of the best, vocal-esque vibrato around!

Satch and Vai have nice vibrato and especially when they play ballad-y stuff.

Lynch plays a lot of interesting vibrato where he is really slurring across 2 frets... You can't tell unless you watch him do it :)

i'll add Kossoff

finding guys with nice vibrato is easy. i'll bet most of us could identify a player from one note with added vibrato. think Tony Iommi when he bends a string...note goes up...fast vibrato...vibrato stops...note comes back down. i could spot him in a heartbeat. same with all the other guys mentioned here.

what would be more interesting is doing a list of guys who are "famous" or "successful" but have bad vibrato....

i'll add Kossoff

finding guys with nice vibrato is easy. i'll bet most of us could identify a player from one note with added vibrato. think Tony Iommi when he bends a string...note goes up...fast vibrato...vibrato stops...note comes back down. i could spot him in a heartbeat. same with all the other guys mentioned here.

what would be more interesting is doing a list of guys who are "famous" or "successful" but have bad vibrato....

That would be more interesting, but how do you define bad vibrato? I don't think that wide vibrato is technically correct but I like how it sounds. Have you ever seen circular vibrator? That is really impressive.

i would define bad vibrato as...

1) the note does not return to pitch after each deviation and therefore sounds sharp
2) uncontrolled "shaking" of the note...usually always the same speed and too fast
3) unmusical, because of the previous two points, but also because it's unrelated to context

Jeff Beck, Robin Trower, Jeff Healey, Doug Gilmour
Most guys who play the blues have good vibrato.
surprisingly enough Ace Frehley had really good vibrato too (not much else though)

Back
Top Bottom