Examples of excellent vibrato

Lynch, DiMartini and Vai all use a similar very nice sounding vibrato. I like Timmons as well. I think everyone has clued in to Hammett's lack of vibrato skills ;) but I'll add another name to the bad vibrato list, Steve Morse. He's a great player but his vibrato is in the same league as Hammett's (when I've seen him live anyway). I always thought Jeff Healey had a great unique vibrato too because of the way it was created.

+1 Steve Morse vibrato = baaaad. It's amazing to have achieved such a high level of playing and totally missed that aspect of it. To me, vibrato, almost infallibly (Morse is an exception here), is a tell of the guitarist's maturity and playing ability. In a In The Listening Room, Malmsteen said of Morse something to the effect of "with a vibrato like that, he should play the f*n banjo!".

FWIW, I dislike that Yngwie is softening up. I much preferred his diarrhea-of-the-mouth style interviews where he dissed other famous guitarists without hesitation or abandon. The thing is is he's basically like a child - his abuse doesn't come from a place of malevolence, but rather is honesty unhindered by social filters. Most of the time I agreed with him. I would be excited to a read a Yngwie interview because I always felt like I got my money's worth afterward. Now's he's playing nice(r). I vote Yngwie gets back on the drugs.

I don't like Hammet's vibrato BTW but Bill Gibbons has an excellent one.

And don' forget Hendrix...

For the first few years of playing guitar, I pretty much worshipped Metallica. I remember the first time I discovered a scale naturally where I proceeded to map these series of notes out in every position and developed a few distinct patterns amongst the positions. I took it to my music instructor and it turns out to be E Minor Pentatonic. Of course. Needless to say, I didn't even know vibrato existed, much less that it was important.

Back
Top Bottom