Euro Blue and Red excursion switch

rcm78

Experienced
The real amps have a speaker dampening switch labelled Excursion. It has three settings, L for Loose, M for Medium, T for Tight.
Is this feature modeled? Is it the Negative Feedback knob? If so, what is the default 3.35 setting correlate to on the amp?

The real amps have a speaker dampening switch labelled Excursion. It has three settings, L for Loose, M for Medium, T for Tight.
Is this feature modeled? Is it the Negative Feedback knob? If so, what is the default 3.35 setting correlate to on the amp?
I believe it’s the depth control or a combo of depth/ NFB if it is that
Tight would be depth off
NFB higher
Medium would be depth noon
NFB mid
And loose more depth lower NFB

I believe it’s the depth control or a combo of depth/ NFB if it is that
Tight would be depth off
NFB higher
Medium would be depth noon
NFB mid
And loose more depth lower NFB
That could be possible. Some amps had a Depth control that was actually a Negative Feedback control. But I dont think thats how the Depth control in Fractal land works. It's a fixed frequency that we can adjust.

Fractal Audio has confirmed that the excursion switch is modeled on the depth knob in the Axe Fx. But has not disclosed what depth knob settings corresponds to the different excursion switch positions.

So you will have to guess.

Fractal Audio has confirmed that the excursion switch is modeled on the depth knob in the Axe Fx. But has not disclosed what depth knob settings corresponds to the different excursion switch positions.

So you will have to guess.
Where? The Wiki and Yek's write up dont mention it

That could be possible. Some amps had a Depth control that was actually a Negative Feedback control. But I dont think thats how the Depth control in Fractal land works. It's a fixed frequency that we can adjust.
Keep in my mind to the amp modelled is the 20th Anniversary, Reinhold is such a tweaker that’s it likely different values on the 101b
And classic , so if you are trying to compare it to those amps or an XTC you own it could be different

Keep in my mind to the amp modelled is the 20th Anniversary, Reinhold is such a tweaker that’s it likely different values on the 101b
And classic , so if you are trying to compare it to those amps or an XTC you own it could be different
Yeah, that's fine. I'd just like to know if it's Negative Feedback or if it wasn't modeled. Maybe it's speaker thump. I do own a 2001 Classic and that switch makes a big difference in the feel of the amp.

Where? The Wiki and Yek's write up dont mention it
Fractal Audio has confirmed this, on this forum, in the past.

However if you are not on the forum, then it would be very difficult for you to know where “excursion” is modeled (apart from guesswork). So this knowledge is only for readers of the forum.

Also, as stated above, no one knows what depth settings corresponds to the 3 excursion switch setting on the real amp. Fractal Audio did not want to disclose this information the last time this question was raised (which is their right btw).

Fractal Audio has confirmed this, on this forum, in the past.

However if you are not on the forum, then it would be very difficult for you to know where “excursion” is modeled (apart from guesswork). So this knowledge is only for readers of the forum.

Also, as stated above, no one knows what depth settings corresponds to the 3 excursion switch setting on the real amp. Fractal Audio did not want to disclose this information the last time this question was raised (which is their right btw).
You're funny. I've been here longer than you and have participated much more. It's a simple question. One that you asked 4 years ago and Cliff's answer was "Why does it matter". So nothing was confirmed.

You're funny. I've been here longer than you and have participated much more. It's a simple question. One that you asked 4 years ago and Cliff's answer was "Why does it matter". So nothing was confirmed.
I was not trying to be a smart a** or insult you in any way. I actually share your frustrations around this and have searched for the exact same answer on this forum before. The answers I found/got was the same as in this thread (paraphrased): “Excursion is depth” and “The different settings for L, M and T will not be disclosed”.

You might have been here longer than me, but that’s irrelevant for the question at hand. Someone who became a member yesterday could theoretically find an old thread you haven’t found yet.

Case in point (from 2013): https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-bogner-ecstasy-excursion-settings.74584/

I also struggle to see how the fact that you have participated more than me on this forum is relevant for the question at hand. Unless you thought that I tried to insult you in some way. If so; I truly did not intend so.

I was not trying to be a smart a** or insult you in any way. I actually share your frustrations around this and have searched for the exact same answer on this forum before. The answers I found/got was the same as in this thread (paraphrased): “Excursion is depth” and “The different settings for L, M and T will not be disclosed”.

You might have been here longer than me, but that’s irrelevant for the question at hand. Someone who became a member yesterday could theoretically find an old thread you haven’t found yet.

Case in point (from 2013): https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/the-bogner-ecstasy-excursion-settings.74584/

I also struggle to see how the fact that you have participated more than me on this forum is relevant for the question at hand. Unless you thought that I tried to insult you in some way. If so; I truly did not intend so.
All good. Cliff has said depth. Cant say I'm convinced. The real amp blocks negative feedback boosting lower frequencies to the speaker. The frequency and amount of negative feedback changes based on the position of the switch. I'm inclined to think the switch wasn't modeled and the depth control is a close approximation.

All good. Cliff has said depth. Cant say I'm convinced. The real amp blocks negative feedback boosting lower frequencies to the speaker. The frequency and amount of negative feedback changes based on the position of the switch. I'm inclined to think the switch wasn't modeled and the depth control is a close approximation.

The real amp might have fixed selectable resistors in lieu of a pot. Cliff said it’s a depth control so that’s what it is. You can adjust depth to your liking and there it is.

The real amp might have fixed selectable resistors in lieu of a pot. Cliff said it’s a depth control so that’s what it is. You can adjust depth to your liking and there it is.
The 20th anniversary amp that was modeled has different values. I believe the 101b and 101b Classic effects the same negative feedback frequency but varies it from T to M to L.
I get that this is a complicated amp. I struggled with mine for a month or so before really figuring it out. Getting all the features into a model has to be a ton of work. The Euro model has the Bogner low mid voicing but I can’t tweak it to sound like my amp. I’ve AB’d for hours.

Back
Top Bottom