Bogner Ecstasy Excursion Settings

E-Sound

Inspired
So, one of my all time favorite amps is the Bogner Ecstasy 20th anniversary.

The Bogner Ecstasy amp has a switch called “excursion” with 3 settings; Tight, Medium and Loose.
As far as I know, this is modeled with the Depth knob in the Axe.

Does anyone know what Depth settings corresponds to the 3 settings on the actual amp?

Am I correct in assuming that:
Depth 0 = Tight
Depth 5 = Medium
Depth 10 = Loose

So, one of my all time favorite amps is the Bogner Ecstasy 20th anniversary.

The Bogner Ecstasy amp has a switch called “excursion” with 3 settings; Tight, Medium and Loose.
As far as I know, this is modeled with the Depth knob in the Axe.

Does anyone know what Depth settings corresponds to the 3 settings on the actual amp?

Am I correct in assuming that:
Depth 0 = Tight
Depth 5 = Medium
Depth 10 = Loose
Why does it matter? Adjust it until you get the desired amount of bass boost.

Why does it matter? Adjust it until you get the desired amount of bass boost.

It sounds good all the way from 0 to 5, so no problems with the sound at all. Just a question of interest more than anything.

It is one of my favorite models in the axe, as well as being one of my favorite “actual” amps of all time. So I just got curious.

Depth knob... BTW, someone at Bogner told me years ago the excursion 'tight" was where to set it to get a Marshall 4x12 kind of bottom end.

Found this after some Googling, comparing a Fender Super Reverb to the Bogner Ecstasy clean channel:

“Excursion setting. There isn't any type of bass boost in a Fender pwr amp so set the XTC to Tight which is OFF“

So based on this, it looks like Depth on 0 is the same as the Bogner set to “Tight”. Definitely going to check this out :)

Found this after some Googling, comparing a Fender Super Reverb to the Bogner Ecstasy clean channel:

“Excursion setting. There isn't any type of bass boost in a Fender pwr amp so set the XTC to Tight which is OFF“

So based on this, it looks like Depth on 0 is the same as the Bogner set to “Tight”. Definitely going to check this out :)

I was just playing around with lowering the depth on stock settings, I think it makes it very Friedman HBE-esq

Found this over at Rig-Talk. BrentSP opened up his XTC 20th and wrote this about Excursion:

“The excursion or resonance switch is redone with different values. 101B and Classic has a 470p boosting low mids with L and M giving you different variation of how much boost and T with no boost. The 20th is a little different. It has two choices of frequencies to boost with T being no boost. M is .0047uf like Soldano, Friedman, Cameron (I've seen Cameron using a .0022uf also). Boosting the low end. The L is something I haven't seen before. Its value cap is .01uf which is boosting the really low frequencies.”

So based on this, it pretty much confirms that setting depth to 0 in the Axe is the same as setting the real XTC Excursion switch to “Tight”.

Here’s the link for anyone interested. He wrote a lot about the XTC circuit. Pretty interesting stuff:

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=200526

There's a lottt of information about it on the sloclone forum, and how Reinhold Bogner went about avoiding a patent infringement with James Brown, and the 5150 negative feedback circuit.

Back
Top Bottom