Ethercon for the MFC 101 - The missing link

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
The MFC 101 is a fantastic foot controller. Well built, sturdy, fabulous software, integrate extremely well with the Axe II.
The only thing which makes it one small step removed from a touring unit is an Ethercon connector. In fact, two would be great so a touring musician could have two in different locations of the stage.
But for now, one would be awesome.

Having bought mine used, and therefore having forfeited my warranty from the get-go, I decided to, so to speak, make the jump and install that missing link. I figured you might want to know about it so here goes.

1. Dismantling the unit is a matter for a few screws so I won't comment on that.
2. I removed the main logic board, the screen and all connectors to the foot switch.
3. I used a short Cat5 cable and soldered one end to the logic board, using the standard B protocol of color coding.
4. I checked continuity and ensured there were no shorts (I did this about 8 times throughout the procedure)
5. I then cable tied the cable to the board so that there would be NO internal strain on it no matter what.
6. I used a professional panel-mount Neutrik Ethercon connector with punch-block inserts and routed the cable to the proper pins.
7. Using a hole-saw and a reamer, a perfectly fitting hole was made right under the screen on the back panel to receive the panel-mount connector.
8. Tested the unit, put it back together and voila.
9. I used the opportunity to clean the "glass" over the display which had a rather large "bubble" in it. Invisible when tuned on but still offended my sense of propriety!

Here are a few shots:

Attachments

• IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,205
  • IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,091
  • IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,058
  • IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,330
  • IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,119
Nice looking work! So, what does Ethercon do for you exactly? You can put another controller somewhere else and "daisy chain" them together so you can use either one?

Nice looking work! So, what does Ethercon do for you exactly? You can put another controller somewhere else and "daisy chain" them together so you can use either one?
Nothing a standard RJ-45 connector and cable don't do. It's just a ruggedized RJ-45 terminal and connector. It just completes the connection between the MFC and the Axe-Fx II.

You'd have to make custom cables for this approach I suspect, since the Axe-Fx II side of the connection doesn't have an Ethercon type connector and the shield on the Ethercon connector prevents it from being inserted in to a standard RJ-45 terminal.

I wouldn't try daisy chain without knowing in advance how the axe and the MFCs would react to this. Like Ian says. It just makes it virtually impossible for some jackass (and that includes me!) to step on the connector and shear it or break it accidentally while in use. When touring, I just wouldn't trust a simple RJ45 connector. That's why Ethercon was devised.

Patzag,

Great job! Way back in the day, when some of us were practicing on Rockmans, I did something similar on the headphone side of things. They included their little 1/8" jack, and the plug just wasn't solid if you moved even a little. I found a space to install a 1/4" jack, and then never had another issue with sporadic sound.

Thanks for the info and pics.

Best,

Lee

CAT-5 from foot controller to rack device is nothing new.. been around for some time (L6,Roland, etc,).
It works well... but there ARE disadvantage with long-term use. Which is where Ethercon comes in. The RJ connector type was not designed for repeatedly connecting/disconnecting. It was designed to be a standard jack (initially for phones) that would be available in all homes, so when you moved, you disconnected your phone, then connected it at the new location. Simple, limited use.

If you gig regularly and frequently connect/disconnect the cat-5 cable, the jacks in the device get "sloppy" and loose with wear over time, as do the connector ends on the cable. They are PLASTIC after all. Get minimal torque on either end of the cable and you can end up with shorted pins, bent pins and weird sh*t happening. Ethercon jacks use the standard XLR-style locking sleeve - with the RJ45 nestled inside - which minimizes any movement of the connectors, protecting them from torque. Well worth using IMHO!

Thanks guys.

Bert: No, I'm not going to put an Ethercon on the Axe. I'd love to, but I will not do that to the new, under warranty unit. If Cliff sent me an email and said, go ahead, I'll cover warranty if anything goes bad, I might. But that's not likely to happen, is it?
The MFC was already no longer under warranty and it is the unit that gets stomped on, can get kicked, etc.
I've now used this on several gigs and I'm VERY happy I have it. Some guy accidentally stepped on my cable and jerked it with 0 ill effects. Might have been the same with a regular ethernet cable, but I'm not willing to risk it. I have enough slack on my cable that there's no strain on the Axe side.

BefOre seeing this post I ordered a replacement silent fan and ethercon connectors, but I don't think I'll be able to risk the warrantee either.

Nice work. You've certainly given me something to think about, along with mounting a Ethercon connector to a rack panel and feeding it to the AF2.

Of course on a totally different idea to the previous two posts, a patch panel with an Ethercon connector can be left connected to the AF. This will ensure that you do not have to take out the ethernet connector in the AF every time you shut-down your rig.

You're welcome, but I really can't take credit for the idea. paulmapp8306's rig has got a panel for connectors to save him reaching in and out of his rack.

Smart lad that Mapps. :D

The dreaded rack reach around. Yea, you really want to avoid that. That and stopping short are never good plays. :)

Back
Top Bottom