Ethercon for the MFC 101 - The missing link

Haven't been over to this area of the forum in a while...WOW, this is brilliant...nice work! I will definitely be doing the same. Any chance you could post a quick diagram of the pins and colors of the stock RJ-45 on the circuit board and their termination spots in the Ethercon?

Haven't been over to this area of the forum in a while...WOW, this is brilliant...nice work! I will definitely be doing the same. Any chance you could post a quick diagram of the pins and colors of the stock RJ-45 on the circuit board and their termination spots in the Ethercon?

Thanks. The color code is standard, tons of them if you google RJ45 color code. Here's a link: Ethernet Cable Colour code standards
Because this is not actual ethernet, the colors only matter to the degree that you want the connectors wired properly. Inside the controller, colors have no significance.
The Ethercon connector came with a little color coded diagram pasted on the inside. I just followed the diagram.

One more detail, the ethercon connector is a bit finicky when it comes to latching. If your panel mount receptacle and connectors do not align properly, the jack will not latch and you won't get a clean connection. Be sure to use a small file and de-burr the holes made both for the panel mount and for the screws so the two surfaces (connector and panel mount ring) and exactly parallel. I hope this is clear.

Thanks. The color code is standard, tons of them if you google RJ45 color code. Here's a link: Ethernet Cable Colour code standards
Because this is not actual ethernet, the colors only matter to the degree that you want the connectors wired properly. Inside the controller, colors have no significance.
The Ethercon connector came with a little color coded diagram pasted on the inside. I just followed the diagram.

One more detail, the ethercon connector is a bit finicky when it comes to latching. If your panel mount receptacle and connectors do not align properly, the jack will not latch and you won't get a clean connection. Be sure to use a small file and de-burr the holes made both for the panel mount and for the screws so the two surfaces (connector and panel mount ring) and exactly parallel. I hope this is clear.

You followed standard B from your diagram link when soldering to the MFC board...correct?

You followed standard B from your diagram link when soldering to the MFC board...correct?

I did, but it's irrelevant because you're not dealing with actual ethernet signal. Just make sure it's pin to pin perfect. I only did because it was a natural way for me to wire the connector and would be somewhat useful for troubleshooting if the need arose. Which it didn't.

I did, but it's irrelevant because you're not dealing with actual ethernet signal. Just make sure it's pin to pin perfect. I only did because it was a natural way for me to wire the connector and would be somewhat useful for troubleshooting if the need arose. Which it didn't.

Ah, right...makes sense...thanks!

Instead of modding the Axe II you can just get an ethercon jack and mount it to a rack panel then hardened the back of the jack to an RJ-45 and plug that into tue Axe II.

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Instead of modding the Axe II you can just get an ethercon jack and mount it to a rack panel then hardened the back of the jack to an RJ-45 and plug that into tue Axe II.

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Very true, but I didn't mod the AFX, just the MFC. I'm not worried about anyone stepping on my Axe ;)

Pardon my ignorance guys but what are the advantages of cat5 over Midi with the MFC and Axe II? My understanding is that with a 7 pin midi cable you can run phantom power to the mfc. Thanks.

Pardon my ignorance guys but what are the advantages of cat5 over Midi with the MFC and Axe II? My understanding is that with a 7 pin midi cable you can run phantom power to the mfc. Thanks.

With the Cat5 you don't need to use the wall wart supply--it picks up power from the Axe II

Danny W.

Last edited:
IMO the main advantage is the physical connection. The ethercon is a locking connector. More security.

danmo said:
Do you need the wall wart with the 7 pin MIDI? I thought you could run phantom power through the mid?

You need the wall wart. Phantom power refers to powering it via the signal cable (like a condenser mic), not the lack of an external power supply.

Additionally, your chances of finding a 7 pin midi cable at a Walmart at 10pm on a Saturday night is nil to none.

If you put a patch panel in your rack, it's not necessary. Just add the ethercon jack to the panel and leave the other end plugged into the AxeFx all the time.

Does anyone know of a company that will wire up a rack panel with the connectors you want and terminate them into the required cables to mate to the back of the Axe FX? I'm not handy and would rather just order it from someone.

Does anyone know of a company that will wire up a rack panel with the connectors you want and terminate them into the required cables to mate to the back of the Axe FX? I'm not handy and would rather just order it from someone.

I do that myself. PM me if you are interested. I was thinking about making one for myself too. To bring all the I/O to the front of my rack.

Back
Top Bottom