Epic 80's Song that needs recognition

Well I guess you know YT will figure out what you want to watch, so this popped up in my feed. It explains a lot about the Rainbow video above. I remember thinking that Blackmore just looked po'd right from the start and all through the song! :D

Funny that I actually think Graham's fashion sense is a nice clash to the rest of the band.

kinda sympathize as image / style is a big part of R+R, and sometimes pre-conceived / "designed" as in this scenario. If you are a hired musician and told to grow your hair by the boss + for live apprarance effect - its not personal, its show business lol

kinda sympathize as image / style is a big part of R+R, and sometimes pre-conceived / "designed" as in this scenario. If you are a hired musician and told to grow your hair by the boss + for live apprarance effect - its not personal, its show business lol
Sure, there was another video of an interview with Graham and he said people would actually flip him off when he first started with Rainbow.

I got cracked up when Blackmore said he wanted to hit him over the head with his guitar because he was so mad.

Yup - for us here in Canada, signing up Bryan Adams to the Fractal Artist list is right up there with Rush, Metallica. Aerosmith and U2. Congrats Fractal!
I heard Bryan Adams turned down "Don't You Forget About Me" - Simple Minds. I could totally hear him doing it. It's similar to "Run to You", IMO. I do like Simple Minds' version of it though. I'm not sure if that one made it on this thread yet. Ahh.....summer before 8th Grade getting dropped off at the mall to watch Breakfast Club at the movie theatre.

I heard Bryan Adams turned down "Don't You Forget About Me" - Simple Minds. I could totally hear him doing it. It's similar to "Run to You", IMO. I do like Simple Minds' version of it though. I'm not sure if that one made it on this thread yet. Ahh.....summer before 8th Grade getting dropped off at the mall to watch Breakfast Club at the movie theatre.
Yessir! - In the 80s I traded in my 70s jeans + jean jacket with VH crest on the back for big pants, thin ties, cool suspenders, and that odd flail your arms dancing that limits how many people can fit on the club's dance floor. Simple minds: exudes 80s for sure !

When most people think of Thomas Dolby they think of "She blinded me with science". I think his 2 best albums that also happen to need the most love (since so few know them) are "Aliens Ate My Buick" (late 80s) and "Astronauts & Heretics" (1990 I think). He was putting out some great funk on "Aliens ..." The lyrics on these songs are funny as sh*t.

These are from "Aliens Ate My Buick" I think that is George Clinton in this video as "the happy Martian".

When most people think of Thomas Dolby they think of "She blinded me with science". I think his 2 best albums that also happen to need the most love (since so few know them) are "Aliens Ate My Buick" (late 80s) and "Astronauts & Heretics" (1990 I think). He was putting out some great funk on "Aliens ..." The lyrics on these songs are funny as sh*t.

These are from "Aliens Ate My Buick" I think that is George Clinton in this video as "the happy Martian".

Aliens is great fun, I should listen again.
Serious musicianship too.

I'm in love with the tones of 80's City Pop and Jazz Fusion. So here's a few examples.

Mariya Takeuchi - Plastic Love

Tatsuro Yamashita - Sparkle

Casiopea - Asayake

Junko Yagami - Bay City

Pretty much the standard tone is heavy compression and a Roland Dimension/Boss CE-1 chorusy sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom