Epic 70’s songs and bands

Hey! Careful there. Now you're messin' with a someofabitch! :)
funny how, unlike in later decades, cuss words were rare in 70s music heard on radio - as a 14 year old in 75 hearing "sonofabitch" coming from your turntable was somehow exhilarating and badass - cuss word overexposure has somehow taken the thrill out of cuss words in music (I don't think my 14yo grandson has many music selections without swearing in it).

Check out the talk box with bag pipes at 2:15

funny how, unlike in later decades, cuss words were rare in 70s music heard on radio - as a 14 year old in 75 hearing "sonofabitch" coming from your turntable was somehow exhilarating and badass - cuss word overexposure has somehow taken the thrill out of cuss words in music (I don't think my 14yo grandson has many music selections without swearing in it).

Check out the talk box with bag pipes at 2:15

I saw them on the No Mean City tour. They were loud! Thanks for sharing.

Came across a list of 76 albums all recorded in 1976 the other day - what an incredible year! scanning thru and picking just some favs by month yields an unbelievable list:

- January:
- Peter Frampton, Frampton Comes Alive​

- February:
- Heart, Dreamboat Annie​
- March:
- Kiss, Destroyer​
- Thin Lizzy, Jailbreak​
- Doobie Brothers, Takin It to the Streets​
- Led Zeppelin, Presence​
- April:
- Rush, 2112​
- May:
- Aerosmith, Rocks​
- Rainbow, Rainbow Rising​
- Steve Miller Band, Fly Like an Eagle​
- Steely Dan, The Royal Scam​
- BOC, Agents of Fortune​
- June:
- Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, IV​
- Rod Stewart, Night on the Town​
- July:
- Al Stewart, Year of the Cat​
- August:
- Boston, 1st Album​
- September:
- Rush, All the World's a Stage​
- Lynyrd Skynyrd, One More for the Road​
- Black Sabbath, Technical Ecstacy​
- October:
- Eagles, Hotel California​
- November:
- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, 1st Album​
- Kiss, Rock and Roll Over​
- December:
- Queen, A Day at the Races​
- Wings, Wings Over America​

Wow, it's been awhile since anyone added to this thread. In all honesty I've got to credit @Jipps0525 for turning me onto this song, but what a great song it is! This could only have happened in the 70's and I never in a million years would've suspected The Osmonds! Here's Crazy Horses:

Since this thread started, now when I see the word "epic" I don't know if it is referring to its original meaning (a heroic and grandiose narrative) or the modern meaning to simply refer to anything "cool". In Spanish language we still use it for its original Greek/Latin meaning. Therefore, 90% of the songs at this thread are non-epic at all for me :D

Epic songs would be on the line of Iron Maiden's "The rime of the ancient mariner" or "Alexander The Great", Rush "2112", Yes "Gates of Delirium", EL&P "Tarkus", Rick Wakeman's "The six wives of Henry VIII" or "Epic Journey to the center of the Earth" , or something like that.

REAL EPIC:

Since this thread started, now when I see the word "epic" I don't know if it is referring to its original meaning (a heroic and grandiose narrative) or the modern meaning to simply refer to anything "cool". In Spanish language we still use it for its original Greek/Latin meaning. Therefore, 90% of the songs at this thread are non-epic at all for me :D

Epic songs would be on the line of Iron Maiden's "The rime of the ancient mariner" or "Alexander The Great", Rush "2112", Yes "Gates of Delirium", EL&P "Tarkus", Rick Wakeman's "The six wives of Henry VIII" or "Epic Journey to the center of the Earth" , or something like that.

REAL EPIC:

If you're not a native English speaker, then it can be confusing. The definition you use is pretty much considered archaic as the original meaning has been eclipsed by the more modern usage of "particularly impressive" or "remarkable".

Examples:
Epic Fail Video
"Last night's party was epic!"

REAL EPIC:
indeed, we broke that definition in many posts, but at the end of the day imo, the 70/80s music threads are quite "Epic" within the history of Fractal forum Lounge threads.

Last edited:
If you're not a native English speaker, then it can be confusing. The definition you use is pretty much considered archaic as the original meaning has been eclipsed by the more modern usage of "particularly impressive" or "remarkable".

Examples:
Epic Fail Video
"Last night's party was epic!"

Indeed! This is what I visualize when I hear "Epic Party", with a troubadour singing epic stories
f375f7540d49e8576b2bb2d63acd4bf9.jpg

Or this:
5c014b680756a.jpg

And this is an "Epic Fail" :D
1000_F_463060565_Tv12t2HN9H7bxjcGbmgyIHUt6PtNqvwa.jpg

Epic must have at least some component of ancient, classical, heroic, grandiose, poetry, or bacchanal :D

No music can be more epic than Romans playing horns 😂
low-angle-line-of-roman-soldiers-blowing-horns-jupiters-darling.jpg

Last edited:
Just for curiosity, I've googled "Música épica" (Epic Music in Spanish) and this is what comes. Exactly what I expected:

So, what word would you use in English to refer to that concept? Cinematic? Heroic?

Just for curiosity, I've googled "Música épica" (Epic Music in Spanish) and this is what comes. Exactly what I expected:

So, what word would you use in English to refer to that concept? Cinematic? Heroic?

You CAN still use epic in the sense you want to, just no one really does. Outside of an English Literature class where perhaps epic poetry was being studied, I've really only heard it applied to the cinema, but again not in the sense you use it. An "epic" film is normally understood to mean it will be a smash or perhaps part of a series of films (such as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy).

For the music examples you've listed, then yes, you could apply cinematic, grand, majestic, or other similar word.

EDIT: Just realized that LOTR was probably a bad example, because it hits on both meanings, but you see what I mean.

I grew up with Beatles songs, they will always be the best.
I'm sure there's lots of love for The Beatles, but don't most people consider them a 60s act?

Let It Be came out in 1970 and wasn't that their last release?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom