Electronic Hum/Hiss coming from Axe Soundclip included!

RJSAudio.

Inspired
Hey,

So I'm getting a nasty hiss from my Axe that's actually part of the the recorded sound. Pretty much when I sit at a certain angle in my studio it's real bad, and then when I swivel a bit it gets quite a bit better, but still there. I demonstrate this in the sound clip, give it a listen.

First off I'm using a brand new Mogami Platinum cable, and I've tried multiple cables, and multiple guitars, same problem. It comes through my K10's, monitors, and headphones, so it's not a amp/speaker issue. It comes through regardless of whether or not I'm hooked in through USB, so it's not a cable/interface issue...it's just flat out in the sound. How can I get rid of it?

Thanks!

P.S. - Can someone explain how to get the fancy SoundCloud player in my posts? I saw one thread on how to do it, but I could never get it to work. Thanks!

Same problem I had with the ultra, tried everything, including re-shielding my guitars, new cables, new power cables and boards. Never was able to fix it just had to try and work around is as best I could.

If it changes when you move position it sort of suggests it's interferance from other equipment - are you facing a monitor or near something in the signal chain?

Are all the equipment items using the same power circuit? Do you have a power conditioner in the rack? Do you use a UPS?

Hey,

So I'm getting a nasty hiss from my Axe that's actually part of the the recorded sound. Pretty much when I sit at a certain angle in my studio it's real bad, and then when I swivel a bit it gets quite a bit better, but still there. I demonstrate this in the sound clip, give it a listen.

First off I'm using a brand new Mogami Platinum cable, and I've tried multiple cables, and multiple guitars, same problem. It comes through my K10's, monitors, and headphones, so it's not a amp/speaker issue. It comes through regardless of whether or not I'm hooked in through USB, so it's not a cable/interface issue...it's just flat out in the sound. How can I get rid of it?

Thanks!

P.S. - Can someone explain how to get the fancy SoundCloud player in my posts? I saw one thread on how to do it, but I could never get it to work. Thanks!

that is EM interference of some type. the fact that it changes when you move your guitar is a good indication. You need to find where the interference is originating. Do you get it with headphones when the outputs are not plugged into anything?

Man, you guys are quick. I'm using a Monster 2500 PowerCenter. I am near my K10's, studio monitors, and Axe. The Axe is the only thing in the chain.

I do still get the same EM interference through headphones when nothing is plugged into the outputs.

Thanks!

Does the room have compact florescent lighting?

You can try turning off everything you can in the room on by one to try and find the interference. Lights, monitors, computers, ac, etc.

This is almost always noise from a computer monitor. Monitors radiate lots of EMI that your guitar will pick up. Move/rotate to reduce the interference.

Another thing I've found is that if you use a laptop and plug in the charger, it'll make the hiss and interference noise you we all love to hear. That happens on my MAC at least.

This still happens even when my computer monitors and computer are turned off.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

This is almost always noise from a computer monitor. Monitors radiate lots of EMI that your guitar will pick up. Move/rotate to reduce the interference.

So theres no real way to stop it? Cables/power won't affect it?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

So, with everything in the room off except the Axe, it still happens? How close are you to the Axe's display?

- John

I have similar issues but different sound. I get more of a amp hum type noise (like single coil) but real similar to the OP's on all but the cleanest of clean presets. I thought it was monitor related as well since I have 3. The volume of the noise varies with guitar and movement. However, I can just sit it in the stand and it hums away. I can get rid of the noise by adjusting the input noise gate but as soon as I touch a string or strum a chord its back. I too have turned off everything. Computers, lights, TV, Routers, Modem, etc. Only thing running in the house is the II.

I am a tad frustrated. :(

Wait...it is my MacBook. When I shut it, the interference goes away immediately. It makes no difference if it's plugged in or running on battery. I turned literally every electronic in my room off except for the Axe and the comp. The machine is a 2-day old 17" MacBook Pro running Lion, 2.2 GHz Quad-core with 8 GB RAM, if any of that matters. Whenever I move the computer near my guitar it gets way worse, and then moving it away fixes it. It's not a very big deal if I have to keep some more space between my comp and my guitar, but is there way of removing/diminishing the hiss? Could anyone explain what parts of the Axe and comp are making this happen?

Really appreciate all your guys' help and expertise, as always!

Last edited:
If the volume of the noise varies with the position of your guitar then it is ambient EMI. This is not a problem with the Axe-Fx. You will get the same noise into any amplification device whether it be a modeler or a tube amp.

Sometimes the noise emanates from a local source such as a monitor, light dimmer or fluorescent light fixture. Other times it may be a large transformer nearby or other industrial source.

This is why humbucking pickups were invented. However, humbuckers can only cancel so much interference as the winding balance isn't perfect and the coils aren't positioned at exactly the same point in the field.

Better shielding of your guitar can reduce conducted interference as well.

If the noise is severe then you need to identify the source of the noise and attempt to remove it.

Cool cool, well ya it's definitely the MacBook, and I just rearranged my desk a bit and now I'm hiss free! Thanks so much everyone!

Since I have turned off everything in the house and I have tested with a variety of guitars I also concluded its some outside influence. I do live in what we call the cell phone black hole... a square mile where cell phone reception is erratic at best and there is often interference with cable. I didn't notice it nearly as much with the Ultra, However, upon testing, I find that going thru my fireface UFX reduces the hum to some degree so going direct to the headphones and/or monitors increased it and subsequently my focus (with respect to previous use).

I am heading over to a friend’s with the II on Sunday so I'll see what changes.

I didn't mean to imply this was a Axe_FX issue. I was just looking for similar experiences and solutions. On the bright side, if it is a physical location thing, I am moving in Jan!

Thanks for your recommendations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom