Electromagnetic interference

I bought all RGB LED-illuminated components for my gaming PC and disabled all of the lighting because that’s the cool thing to do now.

We have had an ongoing issue in our church sanctuary. Seats about 400. The lighting is supposed to be all new LED's on dimmers.
I even ran my AX8 on a battery backup UPS without being plugged into the wall outlets, NO difference.
Lots of noise on high gain on humbucker guitars.
I'm trying to find the root cause. I'm open to suggestions

LEDs can be bad offenders. If they are mains powered bulbs, each one will have its own power supply in it that can emit a lot of noise. Dimmers can often be bad emitters too. If the humbuckers are not taking care of the noise, it may be getting in through the rest of the guitar wiring or even the cable. Might be worth checking and/or upgrading the shielding in your guitar.

Last edited:
@mr_fender Thanks! All the electric guitars make noise in our sanctuary. We also have another service in the gym. There we have zero noise problems.
I am going to try and get in there this upcoming week, and see if I can disconnect all the lighting by turning off the circuit breakers and see what I can learn. Thanks

This looks promising also. Pyle Audio PHE400 Hum Eliminator.

I ended up buying a Pyle PHE300 (1/4" only) and PHE400 (1/4" and XLR) from Amazon because they didn't have the Behringer HD400 in stock. Both Pyle's were defective in different ways. Neither device's channels are identical, so both are being returned. The BHE300 Channel 1 and BHE400 Channel 2 had the least amount of noise but the BHE300 worked the best for guitar. Both devices lowered the level and low passed the frequency response.

I'm going to buy a Behringer HD400 when back in stock to see if it works better.

I did an Amazon search for both Pyle products. Found a guy doing a demo.
Both Pyle products did not work as advertised.
I won't be purchasing either of those units.

I did an Amazon search for both Pyle products. Found a guy doing a demo.
Both Pyle products did not work as advertised.
I won't be purchasing either of those units.

If you find something that works, post it on the forum.

Last night I found that the power adapter to my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 was causing tons of noise. What's strange is that some days I have more noise than others. This weekend I was getting large spikes at 4khz, 8khz and 16khz. I didn't even have to have my guitar connected. Just connecting my guitar cable to my audio interface showed those frequency spikes. I tried different cables and it didn't make a difference. If I move the end of my cable's 1/4" plug around my room it picks up all different levels of noise. That's how I found my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 power adapter was causing so much noise.

If you find something that works, post it on the forum.

Last night I found that the power adapter to my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 was causing tons of noise. What's strange is that some days I have more noise than others. This weekend I was getting large spikes at 4khz, 8khz and 16khz. I didn't even have to have my guitar connected. Just connecting my guitar cable to my audio interface showed those frequency spikes. I tried different cables and it didn't make a difference. If I move the end of my cable's 1/4" plug around my room it picks up all different levels of noise. That's how I found my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 power adapter was causing so much noise.
An AM radio tuned to static is a good RFI detector. Check out power outlets and wall switches. Dimmers in other rooms can put noise on the line that will radiate out in other rooms.

I was searching YouTube to see what was out there that might work. The problem is that some things that seemed to work great for some people didn't work at all for other people.

hi,
I have a bunch of g10 leds in the studio and replaced them for a warmer light. The new ones emitted a whole bunch of electrical noise so I got a bunch of ferrite chokes that just clip over the supply wires to each light - problem solved! I was so impressed that I bought another 20 and clipped them over the leads on another bunch of devices in the room. I think one of the key installation tips would be to put them as close to the device (in your case the lights) as possible.
thanks
pauly

We have had an ongoing issue in our church sanctuary. Seats about 400. The lighting is supposed to be all new LED's on dimmers.
I even ran my AX8 on a battery backup UPS without being plugged into the wall outlets, NO difference.
Lots of noise on high gain on humbucker guitars.
I'm trying to find the root cause. I'm open to suggestions

Pyle has always been junk.

@FractalAudio Hey Cliff, what did you do to fix the Axe-Fx II MK I Output 2 noise in 4CM? The noise I'm getting with my audio devices is very similar to the noise I used to get with my Axe-Fx II MK I Output 2 noise in 4CM before I had FAS support fix it. Wondering if I can make a similar device to get rid of noise.

Back
Top Bottom