Electromagnetic interference

Proper shielding, Faraday cages, ferrite beads, star grounds, balanced lines, twisted pairs...

What is the nature of the interference you want to eliminate?

Where are you getting it ( e.g. your guitar, cable, interface, computer, speakers)?

Narrowing it down helps with a solution.

If it's all over, your best bet is to convert your room into a Faraday cage.

I'm think its comming from my Pc. When I'm using my FM3 with my Focusrite Interface, the FM3 picks the PC's noise,and its noisy as hell. But when I'm turn of the pc ,the noise gone .

That happens with my laptop. The guitar captures interferences when I sit in front of it, specially the single coils. I have found a location at the room, with the guitar facing certain direction, where the interference is minimum. I use that spot when I am recording at the DAW.

Is your PC case properly shielded? Is the PC connected at the same power plug as the FM3 and the Focusrite? It is better if they are, to avoid ground loops. Are the audio signal and USB cables crossing the power lines? Try moving all these components. It may take a bit of trial and error.

That happens with my laptop. The guitar captures interferences when I sit in front of it, specially the single coils. I have found a location at the room, with the guitar facing certain direction, where the interference is minimum. I use that spot when I am recording at the DAW.

Is your PC case properly shielded? Is the PC connected at the same power plug as the FM3 and the Focusrite? It is better if they are, to avoid ground loops. Are the audio signal and USB cables crossing the power lines? Try moving all these components. It may take a bit of trial and error.

Unfortunatelly my PC and my FM3 power plug connected at the same socket. I dont know is my PC case properly shielded or not. But I'm think its not shielded properly.

Unfortunatelly my PC and my FM3 power plug connected at the same socket. I dont know is my PC case properly shielded or not. But I'm think its not shielded properly.

It is OK if the plugs are at the same socket.

Is the PC case totally metallic or is it made of plastic? If it is plastic that can be an issue, like with my laptop

I'm think its comming from my Pc. When I'm using my FM3 with my Focusrite Interface, the FM3 picks the PC's noise,and its noisy as hell. But when I'm turn of the pc ,the noise gone .
Many PCs are poorly shielded (or not shielded at all, i.e. they have a window). How the manufacturers get away with this is beyond me because they are clearly violating FCC/CE emissions rules.

Many PCs are poorly shielded (or not shielded at all, i.e. they have a window). How the manufacturers get away with this is beyond me because they are clearly violating FCC/CE emissions rules.
The FCC certificate can be emitted by anyone, just saying you did the tests...

Most production PCs like Dells, HPs, Lenovos, etc. seem to be decently shielded. I don't know why everything "Gaming" has to look so hideous, but I really wish that trend would go away. Call me crazy, but I actually don't want my PC gear to look like a Battlestar Galactica prop reject that was raped by a disco ball.

I found a quick solution. I have a cheap Behringer Hum destroyer ,and If I put between the fm3 and my audio interface, there's no interference noise

My office is an EM shitstorm. I recently moved my recording rig from a big custom PC build that emitted EM noise like crazy to a Mac Mini, and that helped a decent amount, but I find that monitors (the screen variety) are the absolute worst. In a music studio, a properly shielded computer monitor is worth its weight in gold. Unfortunately, the LCD display panel itself can put out quite a bit of noise, so there's only so much you can do there.

Fun fact, I have an external GPU enclosure I use for my work laptop when at my desk (a Razer Core X) and it is by far the noisiest thing in the room. And I have 5 monitors, 3 computers, and a flat screen TV in here too. The eGPU sounds like a chainsaw through my pickups when it's on.

The FCC certificate can be emitted by anyone, just saying you did the tests...
I actually think they're not covered by emissions rules because they're selling an empty box. It does not, on its own, emit anything. And they're not responsible for what someone might put it in that does.

I recently moved my PC from the right side of my desk to the left side of my desk and have all my audio gear on the right side of my desk. This lowered a good amount of noise because my guitar pickups are now farther away from my PC.

My Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 was getting a lot of noise from my PC when it was next to it. What's really strange is my old Line 6 POD Studio UX2 has never had noise issues and has always been super quite but not sure if that's because it's USB powered and maybe the Focusrite is getting some noise from it's power adapter?

I found a quick solution. I have a cheap Behringer Hum destroyer ,and If I put between the fm3 and my audio interface, there's no interference noise

What's the model name? Is it the Behringer MicroHD HD400 Hum Destroyer?

I've never used the Behringer but I've used a bunch of different Active and Passive DI-Boxes from other brands with no success. I've tried some of the devices made by ART (Applied Research and Technology) like their CleanBOX II - Hum Eliminator and DTI - Dual Transformer/Isolator but they didn't help much either.

What's the model name? Is it the Behringer MicroHD HD400 Hum Destroyer?

I've never used the Behringer but I've used a bunch of different Active and Passive DI-Boxes from other brands with no success. I've tried some of the devices made by ART (Applied Research and Technology) like their CleanBOX II - Hum Eliminator and DTI - Dual Transformer/Isolator but they didn't help much either.

Yes It is the Behringer MicroHD HD400 Hum Destroyer . Today afternoon I will upload a test audio about it.

Back
Top Bottom