Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

This is a great FRFR IMHO
It ticks all my checkboxes.

I bought some additional feet for my two, and added them to the side opposite the control panel, and the other large back surface to help avoid scuffing/scratching the surface coating.

And, as an FYI, Studio Slips makes a nice gig bag for them. I keep my cabs in the garage, which in Phoenix means there's a lot of airborne dust drifting around. The bags keep the cabinets sealed up so the dust doesn't get everywhere on and in the cabinet. They'd also do a good job keeping rain off them when carrying them from the car into a venue… if we had rain… which is actually falling right now. :)

Last edited:

I bought some additional feet for my two, and added them to the side opposite the control panel, and the other large back surface to help avoid scuffing/scratching the surface coating.

And, as an FYI, Studio Slips makes a nice gig bag for them. I keep my cabs in the garage, which in Phoenix means there's a lot of airborne dust drifting around. The bags keep the cabinets sealed up so the dust doesn't get everywhere on and in the cabinet. They'd also do a good job keeping rain off them when carrying them from the car into a venue… if we had rain… which is actually falling right now. :)
If you get a chance, would you mind posting up a few pics of your EV gig bag?

You have been my main info source for the EV - thanks for all the help

Anybody tested the EV's against the Yamaha DXR12?
I own DXR12's and although they sound good I wonder if the EV's are better sounding.
I also own a set of Genelec 8040A monitors that I prefer over the DXR's.
But need something to play live.
Thank you.

Interesting.

I wonder if the fix is in place on new units now. I'd hope so, it'd be annoying to buy these knowing that the first thing you have to do is ship them back to the factory.
To close out that conjecture somewhat, I bought a pair new a few months back, no issues. So I'd say it's fixed in retail, at least in stores with a fair amount of stock turnover, Manchester Music Mill in my case.

I own DXR12's and although they sound good I wonder if the EV's are better sounding.
The DXR are designed as PA/FOH speakers. The EVs are designed as floor monitors, so there’s a big difference in the cabinet shape and flexibility in how they can be positioned.

Also, the DXR use a separate horn for their highs and the EVs use coaxial tweeters so the dispersion of the highs is different. The DXR will throw the highs in a tighter beam, whereas the EVs spread them out and have a large sweet spot.

Both companies make good sounding products but for me the ability to use the cabinets at three different angles and at my feet in front of me or behind me while still firing at my head, or behind me firing at 90° as a back line, and being able to move around without losing the highs, was enough to convince me that the EV was what I wanted. All that said, I suspect that two of the 8” Yamaha speakers could have a similar coverage, but at almost 2x the price.

Last edited:
I also own a set of Genelec 8040A monitors that I prefer over the DXR's.
But need something to play live.
Thank you.
If you like the Yamaha brand the DHR12M would probably be a closer comparison! At just a few lbs heavier the specs are pretty close!

Yes. Both are full-range cabinets, with very different dispersion patterns and design intentions. The EV has more flexibility in terms of onboard DSP and setting storage.

If you want "throw," you may be better off with a DXR on a pole (hmmm...sounds like a PA speaker, which you probably already have!). If you want on-stage sound reinforcement (backline) and/or a good monitor, IMO a coaxial design like the PXM or the Yamaha DHR is going to serve you better, and pay attention to the dispersion characteristics before buying.
But as always, YMMV, try before you buy, etc.

What I didn't like about the DHR is Yamaha put the controls and inputs on the back panel, which means that angle can't be used as an alternate position. :-/
LOL...what I don't like about the PXM is that the controls are positioned as though you're operating them with the speaker on the floor, and you're kneeling down looking at them from the side. I'm typically using them on their side, from in front of the speaker, but even if they were on the floor I wouldn't object to rotating the whole control panel 180 degrees. :smirk:

Very useful thread, thanks for all the inputs - I think one of these may be in my future. I have a DeCapo that I use for small solo gigs (guitar/vocals) and an EV Evolve30M that I use for filling a bigger room. I'm a recent convert to FAS, am finding the FM3 to be quite fun and darn useful for dealing with multiple instrument types. I've got it sounding great through both the DeCapo and 30M, but I want to have a solution for just reproducing guitar on some occasions, so I figured I'd pull out my K8 that is in the closet to test (got replaced by the 30M). I did not like the sound at all - boomy in the lows and harsh on the highs. I used it on and off mostly for vocals and didn't have issues but this is a different ballgame. Given the good experience with the 30M, this PXM seems like a good addition to the tool chest.

Back
Top Bottom