Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

I think I see why I gravitated toward the tripod mode with the bass and treble turned down a bit, based on those published curves.
I was rereading the thread and ran into this ^.

My concern is that the tripod mode curve expects the monitor to be "flying", with no surface directly against the cabinet (full-mode), so it needs a tripod or to be hung otherwise the curve will change, and what it'll change to we don't know because EV doesn't say.

As a result, EQing it to try to change the curve is just shooting in the dark, or ball-parking it using your ears, unless you have a reference mic and the associated software to see what the speakers are actually putting out.

I just finished an untested PEQ block that attempts to flatten either Monitor 1 using channel A, or Monitor 2 using channel B. It's untested because the monitors are in the garage and I don't feel like dragging them into the house or taking a modeler to the garage. The block is attached.

The settings could be used in one of the system's Out EQs so they'll apply globally, but I like to keep those available to tweak the modeler's output to compensate for room issues when playing live.

Attachments

• Flatten PXM-12MP Monitor 2_20221123_115736.blk.zip
    883 bytes · Views: 8
Last edited:
While we're on the subject of pole mounting, one if the few things that annoys me about these is that there's no setscrew to keep it from rotating on the pole, and it's really easy to change its direction slightly just turning it on.

My cheapo Alesis monitors had one, with a knurled knob that was easy to loosen or tighten by hand.

I was rereading the thread and ran into this ^.

My concern is that the tripod mode curve expects the monitor to be "flying", with no surface directly against the cabinet (full-mode), so it needs a tripod or to be hung otherwise the curve will change, and what it'll change to we don't know because EV doesn't say.

As a result, EQing it to try to change the curve is just shooting in the dark, or ball-parking it using your ears, unless you have a reference mic and the associated software to see what the speakers are actually putting out.

I just finished an untested PEQ block that attempts to flatten either Monitor 1 using channel A, or Monitor 2 using channel B. It's untested because the monitors are in the garage and I don't feel like dragging them into the house or taking a modeler to the garage. The block is attached.

The settings could be used in one of the system's Out EQs so they'll apply globally, but I like to keep those available to tweak the modeler's output to compensate for room issues when playing live.
The main thing I was spotting in those published curves was the bumpiness in the highs. The lows are more where I’d expect to encounter half-space oddities, and I tend to roll off a bunch of those anyway.

All that said, I think I did finally settle on a couple of variations of the Monitor 2 curve, with some high and low massage and something in the mids, too. I don’t remember what.

You should try guitar cab setting, with power amp modeling on and cabs bypassed- it sounds better imho.
you still get to mess with the cab settings in the amp model - it sounds more like the amp in the room to me.
read a post here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/is-it-me-or-are-others-in-the-same-boat.189191/
about that and using a peq block with your Frfr but the EV has the guitar cab setting- for live this works great imho

Last edited:
So if you’re in a band no FOH or micing shut the cab sims off and into your guitar cab.
Or not.

I use my system the same, it goes into my FRFR on its same DSP profile because it's still the same sound as a mic'd cab. The FOH system would just amplify that same sound.

It's the same sort of sound I get when I tip my guitar cabinet back and point it at my ears which I've always done.

The main thing I was spotting in those published curves was the bumpiness in the highs.
It's the same behavior I see in any curve for a speaker once it gets into the higher frequencies. We'd have to spend a lot of money to get around that and I am not gonna go there. I'm not that esoteric. :)

So if you’re in a band no FOH or micing shut the cab sims off and into your guitar cab.
You mean an actual guitar cab?

The "problem" I'm guessing you'd encounter is a real guitar cab sound vs guitar cab mode may not be all that close...

And you can do the same thing while using IRs with thru the EVs.

Use either EVs + Cab modeling or guitar cab + cab modeling disabled.

The good thing is you can do any of those as use what works for you!

You mean an actual guitar cab?

The "problem" I'm guessing you'd encounter is a real guitar cab sound vs guitar cab mode may not be all that close...

And you can do the same thing while using IRs with thru the EVs.

Use either EVs + Cab modeling or guitar cab + cab modeling disabled.

The good thing is you can do any of those as use what works for you!
Yes guitar cab- I split the signal and ran the fm9 output into a AB box - one side rocktron velocity 120 ( old SS power amp) into my different guitar cabs - 4x10 a couple of 2x12s. The other out into EV with guitar cab on - all different sounding but all good - surprised how well the EV sounds at volume compared to my bigger guitar cabinets. I also have tested the EV with cabs off and on, against my vintage silver face deluxe reverb ( which I’ve gigged a lot) again I like the EV best in guitar cab mode with fm9 cabs off, power amp on- but like you said thats what’s great about this stuff- all kinds of options - this thing( FM9 ) is magic

I am about to pull the trigger on the EV PXM-12MP myself. I have tested a little at home with the Behringer F1220D I have been using with my band, and it works well, so I am fairly confident this will be even better.

At 5x the cost, I am unsure of how the law of diminishing returns looks for this particular comparison, however all the positive user experiences have swayed me.

I have also considered the Yamaha DHR12M, but not much information available when it comes to experiences and no opportunity to try before buying, so there you go…

I am about to pull the trigger on the EV PXM-12MP myself. I have tested a little at home with the Behringer F1220D I have been using with my band, and it works well, so I am fairly confident this will be even better.

At 5x the cost, I am unsure of how the law of diminishing returns looks for this particular comparison, however all the positive user experiences have swayed me.

I have also considered the Yamaha DHR12M, but not much information available when it comes to experiences and no opportunity to try before buying, so there you go…
I have zero experience with the Behringer. Lots of experience with Yamaha, and I suspect the unit you mention would be great. I’ve owned (and still own) several Yamaha powered speaker systems that use the Nexo processing, and they’re all fantastic. It’s also coaxial, which helps a lot for close monitoring and phase coherence. But I notice it’s got a 60 x 90 pattern, which is a little narrower on the vertical axis compared to the PXM. That could be good or bad depending on how you want to use it. It will also have a fan, I expect.

I was able to get an EV for a discounted price, and it’s great. However I don’t think you’d be missing much, if anything at all, by going for a slightly less pricey option like the Yamaha, unless you’re a real stickler for speakers. To be able to tell any difference in tone or spread you’d probably have to go to more trouble than it’s worth, and may as well just play your gigs and jam at that point haha.

Well in over a year (7-16-21) and still very satisfied! I did have the issue with the distortion but it didn't happen until I was a few months in. I did send them back no too long ago and I believe the amps in both cabs were replaced on their dime no less! I have had zero issues with these speakers sense then and I have pushed them hard! just like the ZLX 12" cabs I have are stellar in the way they sound and perform.

Highly recommend these monitors to anyone that is looking for a floor wedge that sounds really good and has solid manufacturer backing.

Did EV ever report back what the issue is with the older models? What part are they replacing or changing when you send it back?

Did EV ever report back what the issue is with the older models? What part are they replacing or changing when you send it back?
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think I may remember them saying it was a firmware issue.

They will fix this at their expense, not sure about shipping cost.

Yeah, I know I sent mine back. They were fantastic about it. They paid for everything got it back in two weeks but they never gave me any explanation of what they fixed. I was just curious. It’s a great product.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think I may remember them saying it was a firmware issue.

They will fix this at their expense, not sure about shipping cost.
When I got mine back from repair the screens had protectors on them, I pulled mine off before I sent them in! Also one of the mounting screws (on the bottom) that holds the amp in place was loose. I'm not saying that this is proof that they replaced the amps but it is suspect! They did pay for shipping in both directions which really surprised me.

Back
Top Bottom