Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

So I have this speaker for 3 weeks now. Plugged in my FM3 into the input 1. There is a lot of hiss noise even I don't play any note on my guitar. It's very noticeable, is it the distortion issue you guys talked about? Thanks

So I have this speaker for 3 weeks now. Plugged in my FM3 into the input 1. There is a lot of hiss noise even I don't play any note on my guitar. It's very noticeable, is it the distortion issue you guys talked about? Thanks
Nope...

How loud do you have the EV turned up? How loud is your FM3 turned up?

I don't get hiss with my Axe Fx III, FM9 or FM3...

No hiss coming from my EV Pxm 12mp either.
And no note decay distortion.
The volume on my pxm is at noon. And I can turn the output on the axefx3 to full open without excessive noise.
Maybe you use a lot of gain in your patches? (just guessing)

Like the previous two comments, I get no hiss. Test your system by turning the volume off on the modeler. If the hiss goes away it's not the speaker. Turn the volume back up and switch to a clean preset and see if the hiss goes away, if so, it's your preset.

And, no, that's not the same as the distortion issue.

Just out of curiosity do you run high gain presets? if not I would look at your OP levels in your presets! For frame of reference I run my main volume knob on the EV at 0, Input 1 volume at 0. The preset levels in the amp block -20 +/- depending on the amp used and the physical OP-1 knob anywhere from 9 - 12 depending on how loud I need it, I don't get anything other than the normal noise floor that you will hear from any active.

Thanks guys for quick reply!
I tried my clean preset, even no note playing, hiss still there.
I created another preset just input and output block, nothing in between, hiss still there. If I crank up the volume on EV input, hiss is louder!
Very annoying, it sounds great but just the hissing I can’t get over with

I created another preset just input and output block, nothing in between, hiss still there. If I crank up the volume on EV input, hiss is louder!
How is your FM3 connected? I get no audible hiss either using an XLR from output 1 or a TS => XLR or TS => TS cable from output 2. Also what are your levels set to on the FM3 and EV? Seems like it would be possible to have a higher noise floor if the EV was cranked and the FM3 was set to instrument level. I usually set the FM3 to +4 and run the EV flat 0db on the master.

-Aaron

You didn't answer any of the questions about your levels... We can't offer much help until you do.

Did you plug anything else into it other than the FM3? Output from computer audio, Phone, iPad, or a CD player or something? Use different cables and/or different inputs? If everything you run into it causes noise, then maybe the speaker could have a problem unless it was dirty line power. If the FM3 causes hiss, but pluging in something else doesn't, then it isn't the speaker. You have to try swapping out things to isolate the real problem.

I have 2 of these and I've never had any noise issues with them using an FM9 into them as well as other audio gear.

Did you plug anything else into it other than the FM3? Output from computer audio, Phone, iPad, or a CD player or something? Use different cables and/or different inputs? If everything you run into it causes noise, then maybe the speaker could have a problem unless it was dirty line power. If the FM3 causes hiss, but pluging in something else doesn't, then it isn't the speaker. You have to try swapping out things to isolate the real problem.

I have 2 of these and I've never had any noise issues with them using an FM9 into them as well as other audio gear.
Hey!! This is the answer, thanks man.
I moved my EV to other outlet ( was in my basement), brought it to the main floor and plugged, heck no more hissing sound!! I think my outlet in the basement is the issue.
Thanks so much again guys! Thought i have a defect unit.

Hey!! This is the answer, thanks man.
I moved my EV to other outlet ( was in my basement), brought it to the main floor and plugged, heck no more hissing sound!! I think my outlet in the basement is the issue.
Thanks so much again guys! Thought i have a defect unit.
Out of curiosity, how did you connect your unit to the EVs? XLR? Humbuster? Regular patch cable?

how does it compare to the katana?
The katana works but, you cant run the cabs with it. So you lose that next level of detail you get from the IR's. the Katana is very loud - I used the 1x12 100 watt version. I gigged with the Katana and an FM3 and loved it. The open back of the Katana worked great for me but, im blues classic rock guy. If you are low on funds - i think the katana is a great fill in but, in the end for me - the katana is my back up (another plus to the Katana If your Fractal dies on the gig). I love the EV's sound, built in EQ, volume, great company and warranty - its fantastic IMHO. If you just get the Katana you'll be very happy until you play the EV - that's what happened to me - I've tried everything and settled on the EV but we're all different.

The katana works but, you cant run the cabs with it. So you lose that next level of detail you get from the IR's. the Katana is very loud - I used the 1x12 100 watt version. I gigged with the Katana and an FM3 and loved it. The open back of the Katana worked great for me but, im blues classic rock guy. If you are low on funds - i think the katana is a great fill in but, in the end for me - the katana is my back up (another plus to the Katana If your Fractal dies on the gig). I love the EV's sound, built in EQ, volume, great company and warranty - its fantastic IMHO. If you just get the Katana you'll be very happy until you play the EV - that's what happened to me - I've tried everything and settled on the EV but we're all different.
same opinion of the katana. i rarely even engage the 100w channel. heck ive literally played a gig using the .5w channel. nuts, i know.

and i love that it could be a backup in a pinch w it's onboard fx.

...but the ev pxm has me yearning after reading everything here. might have to sell a pristine genz benz pro LT to free up some cash. really trying to be disciplined in selling something before buying something else.

much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom