Electro-Harmonix 44 Magnum 44W Guitar Power Amplifier + Axe-Fx

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Hey guys! This is powering my lazy rig at the moment. I just got it today! Cheap and effective!!

Magnum1-460-80.jpg

1) It's driving my Orange 4x12 cab and it's LOUD!!! I had the volume knob on 9 oclock and it was drowning our loud drummer. Turn it past that and you start to get some power amp distortion but if you want to use cleans also I suggest keeping the master low.. it doesn't really get louder but simply distorted.

2) It's not a tube amp so don't expect miracles but it feels very similar to the ART SLA-2 I used to own so combine it with the Axe-Fx power amp modeling and you'll be fine!

3) I run a cab impulse to FOH and the 4x12 is just for feel, feedback and monitoring.

Tomorrow it'll be competing with a 2:50 Mesa Recto power amp so I'll probably post clips of the results.

Check it out!!

I owned a couple of 22 calibers until recently and really liked them. Its a great option to have in your bag if you normally use a guitar cab.

Okay guys here's a clip from today. This is MESA BOOGIE 50/50 TUBE POWER AMP vs EHX MAGNUM 44:

Mesa power amp master was on 5 out of 10 and Magnum 44 master was around 2-3 out of 10 and the EHX WAS LOUDER!!

So what are we comparing here?
Mesa = 1500€, Magnum 44 = 150€
Mesa = heavy as hell and 44 is around 200 grams.

I must say that the difference is more in the feel of the power amps, that being said the feel is pretty good on both amps. Both can be way louder than you'd want them... ofcourse in the end the Mesa would win if they'd be competing on which one has more headroom. That goes without saying. But... I have nothing to complain about the Magnum 44. I'm stunned to be honest.

And here's another clip of how it sounds clean. This isn't me playing by the way, it's the other guitarist in my band. Goddammit those PRS split coils sound like a dream. :) All the patch has is Fender Twin with reverb.

Okay guys here's a clip from today. This is MESA BOOGIE 50/50 TUBE POWER AMP vs EHX MAGNUM 44:

Mesa power amp master was on 5 out of 10 and Magnum 44 master was around 2-3 out of 10 and the EHX WAS LOUDER!!

So what are we comparing here?
Mesa = 1500€, Magnum 44 = 150€
Mesa = heavy as hell and 44 is around 200 grams.

I must say that the difference is more in the feel of the power amps, that being said the feel is pretty good on both amps. Both can be way louder than you'd want them... ofcourse in the end the Mesa would win if they'd be competing on which one has more headroom. That goes without saying. But... I have nothing to complain about the Magnum 44. I'm stunned to be honest.

First one have some more High`s. But that is just easy to bump up in the axe fx

One interesting thing I noticed was that you don't want to crank that volume. It doesn't get louder but it just adds gain after a certain point. So balance the Axe-Fx output volume with the Magnum so that your cleans are clean and you're ready!

At one time, I was looking at the Magnum as a way to breathe new life into my talk box without having to carry around an actual power amp. I haven't tried it because I just don't use the talk box much.

I used one with the KPA for a while-since it tucked nicely in the back. I should grab another one to keep as a backup. Just silly not to have it at that cost, for at least a backup. Given the choice of that in my backpack or the rocktron velo300 brick, I'll take the little guy any time. I gigged the KPA/Mag a couple of times, and it was plenty loud. I never got over 50% power. Actually I dont recall even getting close to it. Solid, cheap, and powerful-two thumbs up.

Well... I didn't measure it's flatness since I don't have a loadbox. I think the spectrum is limited a bit... like from around 70hz-18khz, so for guitars it should be okay.

The way I run it is that I'm using an impulse signal through my output 1 and a cabless signal through the output 2 into the Magnum and the output 1 is going FOH and the output 2 is powering the cab for monitoring.

Thanks. If you ever get the chance to plug it in to a passive monitor wedge, I'd love to hear how it holds up with clean and acoustic sounds. These being those requiring cleanest and most high end to sound right.

Im actually really interested by this. any idea if it will be loud enough for band rehearsals through a ported 1x12 cab? I might have to pick one up until I put the cash down on a pa speaker...

Back
Top Bottom