Electric Mistress Emulation - Axe-Fx III

Hey, folks!
As I'm a big fan of Pink Floyd and especially David Gilmour guitar tone, I've been trying a lot to emulate the Wall Electric Mistress sound. The tips on the first page were very useful but in my opinion the tone I got was not that smooth and delicate. So here is my example of what I've got with an Analog Flange in Axe FX II - I think it will also be useful for Axe FX III.

Thanks to Gilmourish.com and KitRae I use these setting:

RATE - Somewhere form 0.5 Hz to 2 Hz. I set to around 1 Hz.
DEPTH - From 10 to 20 %.
DELAY TIME - Very important thing. As I know, Electric Mistress uses quite long delay (around 10-20 ms) so I set it to maximum 10 ms.
FEEDBACK - I always set it to 0. No need to color the sound.

MIX - From 50 to 80 % on your taste.

View attachment 105373
View attachment 105374

Thanks for sharing. Btw there is already 2 different types of Electric Mistress emulation in Axe FX III 😉

Hey, folks!
As I'm a big fan of Pink Floyd and especially David Gilmour guitar tone, I've been trying a lot to emulate the Wall Electric Mistress sound. The tips on the first page were very useful but in my opinion the tone I got was not that smooth and delicate. So here is my example of what I've got with an Analog Flange in Axe FX II - I think it will also be useful for Axe FX III.

Thanks to Gilmourish.com and KitRae I use these setting:

RATE - Somewhere form 0.5 Hz to 2 Hz. I set to around 1 Hz.
DEPTH - From 10 to 20 %.
DELAY TIME - Very important thing. As I know, Electric Mistress uses quite long delay (around 10-20 ms) so I set it to maximum 10 ms.
FEEDBACK - I always set it to 0. No need to color the sound.

MIX - From 50 to 80 % on your taste.

View attachment 105373
View attachment 105374

There are a few issues with your settings imho.

First of all the delay time control sets the minimum delay time in the axe II (iirc) so you should set that to around 1ms or less and then set the depth so that at the other extreme of the sweep you get 10-11 ms.

Then Gilmourish suggests that Gilmour used the mistress with all controls set at 10 o'clock, but the problem is that the version gilmour used has the pots mounted in three different orientations, see this pic:

electric-mistress-pot-range-v2.jpg

So the correct settings would be rate at minimum (somewhere around 0.05 Hz), depth at max (where you get 10-11ms of delay) and feedback around -60% (it's a negative value cuz the feedback path in the real mistress is phase inverted and that's exactly what a negative setting on the feedback does).

Another problem in the axe fx II is that you have no control over the VCO and the wet frequency response so you have no way to fully replicate the correct sweep behaviour, the axe fx III model otoh is spot on to my real mistress.

PS: check out this site to dig deeper on the electric mistress: http://www.metzgerralf.de/elekt/stomp/mistress/index.shtml

PPS: Gilmour afaik also blended an amp fed by the mistress with a dry amp on a lot of recordings, so you might want to lower the mix to 25% or so to replicate that (or use 2 amp blocks).
Furthermore in most songs where the mistress was used there are also other modulations going on (rotary speakers, CE-2, etc..) so it's not easy to judge what his mistress sounded like, probably the song where you can hear it more clearly is the album version of In The Flesh, both in the clean arpeggios and the big muff leads

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Well, I would agree with you but... it just doesn't sound right to me. I becomes very dominating even at low mix setting.

All those settings I took from Gilmourish where Bjorn says about Mooer E-lady - probably the closest clone to the Deluxe Mistress on the market. Also there is a comparison between Mooer and Deluxe.
But I made a mistake - Feedback (or Color) should be around 15-20%.

I have Mooer E-lady. So with my settings above it’s quite easy to match its sound.

Back
Top Bottom