Edge with 2 AxeFX's onstage at Apple now

I dont know if this came out yet, but I'm quite sure the performance was not live... it was probably recorded earlier and only vocals were live (you can hear guitar overdubs and drum cymbals dont match with the audio). It would not be the first time, as they already did this 10 years back with top of the pops and this fall with invisible on jimmy fallon...
BTW, the fuzzy riff in the intro is what you get when you bypass the amp (or amp sim).

They use backing tracks, they have since 1984. They were playing live.

It also rankles me to see Bono with his 'holier than thou' attitude on so many subjects playing a corporate gig for a company whose track record on environmental, humanitarian and general business practices is questionable at best.

Don't start that crap. Apple's track record is second to none on those issues compared to any other computer manufacturer.

Don't start that crap. Apple's track record is second to none on those issues compared to any other computer manufacturer.

So.. in a field of scumbags.. they are slightly less scummy ? Is that supposed to be a good thing?

It's kind of disgusting to see U2 shilling for this rubbish really. For all their posturing they are as much of a corporation as any of the others I guess.

They use backing tracks, they have since 1984. They were playing live.

Yes, I know, i'm in a U2 tribute myself (Achtung Babies), official partners with universal (we might be involved with a performance at the cd release party in italy in october).
I'm just saying that it wouldn't be the first time if they recorded the band earlier and only vocals were live (like they did with vertigo on TOTP in 2004 and invisible at jimmy fallon last march). If you pay attention you'll hear cymbals when larry's not hitting them, and wont hear them when he hits them. Just my 2cents, feel free to believe it's all live.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how the Axe will be incorporated in Edge's new rig. I doubt it will replace everything but for the things it does it will probably become a mainstay.

Absolutely! It wouldn't surprise me if he modelled some older sounds with the axe and have all his new toys for the new songs.. Usually on every tour he keeps a few fx from the previous tours / album and adds the new gear, the axe will surely help to have more than a few tones from the past (and present) without having 400 pedals on top of the rack

If you pay attention you'll hear cymbals when larry's not hitting them, and wont hear them when he hits them…..
Is it me, or is this a surprising lack of attention to detail? If you performed the drums in the studio and you're "drum-syncing" your live performance to that…couldn't you at least bother, or care enough, to play the same thing at the same time? Allowing phantom cymbals at something streaming to so many people seems very negligent to me. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Is it me, or is this a surprising lack of attention to detail? If you performed the drums in the studio and you're "drum-syncing" your live performance to that…couldn't you at least bother, or care enough, to play the same thing at the same time? Allowing phantom cymbals at something streaming to so many people seems very negligent to me. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Oh, well, if its aired live you only get one shot... If you watch the performance of invisible on the rooftop of fallon that's even worse.. He keeps messing up the snare hits (that's just 2 patterns), he plays it the other way around 2 or 3 times.. But still, then 99 people out of 100 will believe its live.. A cymbal mis hit is not that much of a big deal.
Also, in the past 2-3 records larry has been recording kick, drums and cymbals separately, so it's not a matter of "remembering the parts"... And he probably thinks that the camera is on bono 90% of the time, so his chances to get spotted cheating are very few! :)

Oh, well, if its aired live you only get one shot... If you watch the performance of invisible on the rooftop of fallon that's even worse.. He keeps messing up the snare hits (that's just 2 patterns), he plays it the other way around 2 or 3 times.. But still, then 99 people out of 100 will believe its live.. A cymbal mis hit is not that much of a big deal.
Also, in the past 2-3 records larry has been recording kick, drums and cymbals separately, so it's not a matter of "remembering the parts"... And he probably thinks that the camera is on bono 90% of the time, so his chances to get spotted cheating are very few! :)

it's insanely difficult to make sure everything works correctly for a live broadcast. especially where the band is not the priority and a "hey can you guys come do just one song" the gear and probably the cost to make that happen all live and correctly with redundancy is not worth the 4 minutes of song.

many production companies prefer for most of the band to be full playback, not live. it's just the reality of production and gear. cases in point: red hot chili peppers super bowl performance with flea's bass not being plugged in, and muse on some italian tv show where they all switched instruments since it was completely full playback.

That wasn't my point.

The point is it's free from a consumer's perspective, therefore events like this just help convince the general populous that music *should* be free so why should they bother paying for it.

It's OK for the likes of U2 who could probably phone in their set and get paid, but not for those 'little guys' for whom this type of event or sponsorship is just a pipe dream.

It also rankles me to see Bono with his 'holier than thou' attitude on so many subjects playing a corporate gig for a company whose track record on environmental, humanitarian and general business practices is questionable at best.

It's none of our business, howbeit being born in '67 and having brothers and sisters that grew during the flower power period I admit to have felt some regrets viewing particularly this band in an advertising campaign for the "amazing" Company and a pure consumption based product (granted : and very succesfull). But it remains their sole business and cannot change me listening to their fine music. The album present is a great present, and I would have liked to have iTunes, but no...I got digitalised on Samsung, another "amazing" company. So I'll have to buy it if I like it.

The bunch of cables to the small amp, is it though just an empty box hiding his midi gear ;-)), or are it hidden microphones from NSA ?

What the heck...we have Axe Fx, no need to know ! What a surprise that he's using Axe Fx for effects and amp tones, he just was a bit slower than us on that, still good to know that I have at least that in common with U2's guitarist. Maybe there's still hope for me !

He's been testing the axe since 2010, I have a soundcheck iem from coimbra where he spends 20 minutes A/Bing the regular rig and the axe, quite impressive (and it was the ultra back then).
You can also hear comments from the foh like "it sounds different, but different good" and stuff like that

I dont know if this came out yet, but I'm quite sure the performance was not live... it was probably recorded earlier and only vocals were live (you can hear guitar overdubs and drum cymbals dont match with the audio). It would not be the first time, as they already did this 10 years back with top of the pops and this fall with invisible on jimmy fallon...
BTW, the fuzzy riff in the intro is what you get when you bypass the amp (or amp sim).

I just watched this again and of course there is a backing track. It was clear from the beginning but I don't think they were trying to fool anyone by it. They've used backing tracks for a long long time and never hid it as far as I know...). But I think they were playing everything. The drums do line up and there's maybe a backing ride towards the end that Larry is not playing but all of the crashes line up. The Edge has some backing guitars and vocals but the meat was him I think. No idea about Adam as I couldn't see his hands.

The only time I've seen them fake it was at a *live* set in front of the US Capital building if I remember correctly. Edge's high snapped and there was no way he could have been playing. He also had a Les Paul during Streets and that's pretty much a sign right there ;0). Anyway, although I think they could perform without backing at all, it doesn't bother me. When it's completely fake and they try to pass it off as real, that's when I really stop enjoying things.

I just watched this again and of course there is a backing track. It was clear from the beginning but I don't think they were trying to fool anyone by it. They've used backing tracks for a long long time and never hid it as far as I know...). But I think they were playing everything. The drums do line up and there's maybe a backing ride towards the end that Larry is not playing but all of the crashes line up. The Edge has some backing guitars and vocals but the meat was him I think. No idea about Adam as I couldn't see his hands.

The only time I've seen them fake it was at a *live* set in front of the US Capital building if I remember correctly. Edge's high snapped and there was no way he could have been playing. He also had a Les Paul during Streets and that's pretty much a sign right there ;0). Anyway, although I think they could perform without backing at all, it doesn't bother me. When it's completely fake and they try to pass it off as real, that's when I really stop enjoying things.

The fake performance you're referring to is the one on the red carpet at Cannes, again, same usual thing (as for most TV shows because of TV production concerns), music prerecorded (live in some studio) and vocals live.
Edge was using the music rising epiphone lp that had just come out to raise awareness on his music rising campaign. At a certain level, making a statement is more relevant than performing live.
I'll have to double check the keynote performance, but I'm sure he hits a crash you don't hear at some point.
Again, invisible at fallon was playback over a prerecorded live performance in a studio a couple days in advance.
To some extent, in our little dimension as U2 tribute, we were musical guests on a national TV show in Italy a few years ago, and they asked us if we had pre recorded audio to use and fake play, we didn't, and ended up playing live.. We had to keep the volume so quite that the result was horrible (no axe back then, an ac30 at bedroom volume sounds as bad as a walkie talkie), if we knew we would have recorded the audio like they adviced..

Btw, I don't see the point in being "offended" by a "fake performance", that's part of the showbiz, has always been and will always be

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom