Edge with 2 AxeFX's onstage at Apple now

While I love seeing them up there, not sure this is a full blown sea change.

The Axe II is such a great widget that an accomplished tone baron like The Edge can use this on a fly gig. The ease of setup is killer; small footprint, little compromise in tone (I'm not going to say that the Axe has the same tone and feel as his full rig, that would be for him to say,) but it sounded great to me.

Is it known whether this has actually replaced his tour rig (NOT one-off's like this)?

R

Yea, I dont expect to see Edge with any less gear on the next tour. Edge has no need to downsize, and given that he still lugs 2 Line POD pro's around, I would expect to see all the old FX and amps, plus the Axe 2's.

Still wondering why Edge would be using a Fender Tweed for the last few gigs. Yesterdays Apple gig was just one song. I am sure the Axe can get a decent Fender Tweed tone... It was mic'ed up, so its not there for show.

My ears are what validate my choice and they do that every time I power up my XL. If the Edge uses the Axe too, then great, but it has zero effect on me. We are all different though so does it really matter if someone feels validated by some famous persons choice or not.

I agree. But I play mostly bars to around 100 people or so. What may sound good in a club may not work when playing to 50,000. It is nice to know that if I ever get the opportunity to do that, it will work for me.

I thought it sounded great' Edge is going for a raw aggressive tone and he got it' with the Axe 2 just about anything is possible' and for me there is no one better to unlock these capabilities than The Edge.

Music is a product just like any other, and as such every producer of it has the right to charge or not charge for it, as their best interest and goals dictate.

Music is a product just like any other, and as such every producer of it has the right to charge or not charge for it, as their best interest and goals dictate.

I think it's important to point out Apple are paying U2, so U2 are getting paid, as Bono said in the keynote, they're not in the business of working for free.

This isn't Radiohead's In Rainbows pt2.

He's using the Axe-Fx for effects and amp tones.

I opened this thread with the question in mind "wonder if he's running with this rig the same way he has in the past? Everything before the amp?" And I see this response. Do you know if he's going into the front of the amp or does it have a loop/direct in?

If you summon the processing power of his double rack rigs years ago just one Axe will probably laugh at them big time.

I would suspect The Edge doesn't want lots of people sounding the same as him. Sharing his presets doesn't help him in any way.

Well you know what they say about imitation...

Thanks to U2GT there's a lot us out there trying. I guess that's part of the fun - tweaking presets, chasing the tone. I'm happy just learning some of my favorite U2 songs to play to a backing track. Maybe a little dream of a cover band some day. Edge is safe for now:p

Last edited:
He's using the Axe-Fx direct to FOH. He has an FRFR monitor.

It's pretty cool that over the last year Metallica and Edge and are using the AFX direct to FOH...these guys have been using massive rigs for decades and kudos to FAS that they feel the AFX is more then up to the task of replacing/consolidating them.

I think it's important to point out Apple are paying U2, so U2 are getting paid, as Bono said in the keynote, they're not in the business of working for free.

This isn't Radiohead's In Rainbows pt2.

That wasn't my point.

The point is it's free from a consumer's perspective, therefore events like this just help convince the general populous that music *should* be free so why should they bother paying for it.

It's OK for the likes of U2 who could probably phone in their set and get paid, but not for those 'little guys' for whom this type of event or sponsorship is just a pipe dream.

It also rankles me to see Bono with his 'holier than thou' attitude on so many subjects playing a corporate gig for a company whose track record on environmental, humanitarian and general business practices is questionable at best.

I dont know if this came out yet, but I'm quite sure the performance was not live... it was probably recorded earlier and only vocals were live (you can hear guitar overdubs and drum cymbals dont match with the audio). It would not be the first time, as they already did this 10 years back with top of the pops and this fall with invisible on jimmy fallon...
BTW, the fuzzy riff in the intro is what you get when you bypass the amp (or amp sim).

Back
Top Bottom