DynaCab Pack Limited Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right. But that embedded name is at the bottom left box, under Save& Export. I am wondering if the name at the top left could be used to save the session using that file name, to prevent overwriting the file with your previous sessions.

Otherwise you have to go through the process of File>Save as... every time that you make a change worth to save with a different session name.
Appending (or prepending) a simple datetime stamp to the name would prevent name collision.

'My-nifty-session' could be 'My-nifty-session-20231012.1733' (or '20231012.1733-My-nifty-session')

Finally back from Austria, and back in the USA (hopefully for a while).
  1. Have installed Cab-Lab 4, No issues.
  2. Have purchased the 2x12 and 4x12, to get started. No issues.
  3. Received my order confirmation email immediately. No issues.
  4. Not exactly sure why the purchase is "AWAITING PAYMENT". Should I assume that somebody in a control tower is processing payments by hand?

Just curious - no rush. Gives me time to read the manual a few times.​

4. Not exactly sure why the purchase is "AWAITING PAYMENT". Should I assume that somebody in a control tower is processing payments by hand?

Took about 5h for mine to go through - time to practice your scales

Mine took about 2 hours but it seems weird because I got a email immediately from my credit card co. that the charge had gone through. Maybe there is some manual process it goes through at Fractal before they consider it a done deal.

@Admin M@ I bought the four dyna cab packs and only tried loading and installing two. On both of them I got a Download status error "Failed writing Cab Pack to disk" on both so I just stopped at that point. Here are pics of my system and the error and manager snapshot after both issues.

Attachments

• CabLab4 DynaCabPack downloading issue.jpg
    CabLab4 DynaCabPack downloading issue.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 22
  • PC system.jpg
    PC system.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 22
  • CabLab4 DynaCabPack Manager after issue.jpg
    CabLab4 DynaCabPack Manager after issue.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 19
Purchase, authorization and downloads worked fine for the dyna-cab packs. The one small issue is the default location for the vst3...it was installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins rather than C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3.

Not sure what happened to my three purchased cabs, as they came authorized to another computer, and order lookup had the wrong order number associated with them.

Could you DM me the email for them? And the correct/wrong order numbers if you have them

My purchase said "Awaiting approval" the other night but I rolled the dice anyway and was able to download my 4 cab packs even though the order still read that way.

Same here, the cabs could be downloaded immediately after completing the order, even if the payment was still "awaiting"
In my case, it was not available for download until the second email arrived (one hour later). I recall this lag from previous software purchases through the Fractal Audio Shop. There is probably a disclaimer somewhere, but I remembered it once it happened again.

I paid with credit card and the cab packs became available for download after a few minutes (I live in Norway). Download and installation was very smooth and my experimentations so far have provided some great tones, some of them will be used at gigs this weekend :). A combo of the 1960TV and 2x12 Double Verb with the "Vibrato Verb AB" has given me one of the best "Fender sound" I have heard (or had.....).

Seamlessly downloaded into Cab-Lab 4 and ready to run it through the paces. Also downloaded a primer on studio-engineering speaker/microphone placement.

My purchase said "Awaiting approval" the other night but I rolled the dice anyway and was able to download my 4 cab packs even though the order still read that way.
Actually, I did not try to go into Cab-Lab and download it until the next email arrived. Operantly-conditoned at a catholic school: if we didn't obediently wait for permission, violence was just around the corner.

I'll purchase a third pack, to see if this works. A win-win for both parties.

@Admin M@ I bought the four dyna cab packs and only tried loading and installing two. On both of them I got a Download status error "Failed writing Cab Pack to disk" on both so I just stopped at that point. Here are pics of my system and the error and manager snapshot after both issues.

One possibility is that Cab Lab does not have access to your documents folder. By chance is your Windows user directory set to write only?

Please check Cab-Lab 4 Settings/Preference Cab Pack Installation directory and make sure that this folder is one that your user account has complete read/write access to. (The default installation path on Windows is (Your user)/documents/fractal audio/cab-lab 4/cab packs)

You could also try to run Cab-Lab 4 as an administrator, though you should not need to do this.

I'm finally actually getting to play tones through this for the first time, and it sounds incredible! The ability to move all the way around the speaker is so helpful. I think every guitar matches with a different mic placement, so being able to break the limits of the spots designated in the hardwire allows you really to find what's just right. Here are suggestions I have, which I'm reiterating from before I actually was able to try this hands on:

• To implement Control + Left-Click to change distance. This is a lot more intuitive, just faster and easier, than having to move a different slider. I know it doesn't sound like it would be a big difference in how it feels, but after years of using TH-U, which has their mics move this way, I can tell you, it just feels so natural. Just compare Cab Lab 4 with a trial of TH-U yourself to see how it feels to move the mic each way.

• To make known the wattage of the speakers used in the provided cabinets, or just list the power handling of the cabinet captured. This is important if you want to set Speaker Thump to its real world setting, where it makes sense (since some amp / cab combos would not be possible in the real world). E.g., the Morgan AC20 is advertised on their site as using a G12H-75 Cereamback, but the speaker captured in the cabinet by FAS is a G12 Blue. That's cool to know, and I can research the G12 Blue to find out it's a 15W speaker; it looks like it's only available in one wattage handling. But other speakers are available, in the same model, with different power handling ability. And this is easily dismissable as a small thing, that one can just use one's ears to adjust the parameter, but Speaker Thump is not a small change in tone. I believe in one FW update some time ago I couldn't really hear it, but in it's recent and current iteration, it's very powerful and totally audible, and if that's a key part of the accuracy, I always try to dial it, again, where it would make sense in the real world. Otherwise, I just start at the default of 2.50.

And I second the request to at least list the matching speaker impedance curve for each cabinet, since, again, for accuracy, you need to dial it in manaully now. These thnigs do interrupt the flow when you're trying to set up a new tone. I do think, if it's possible, it would just be way better to have the option to have Slot 1 of Cab Lab 4 connect automatically to the Speaker Impedance Curve of Amp 1 and match it automatically. I know there are those users who prefer not to match the curve to the cab, and they could keep that paramter off, but for me, it would be huge, and a great time saver.

Especially since Cab Lab 4 standalone in SW Live Mode is not set up to work at the same time as Axe-Edit, it becomes a pain to open your cab block, go to Dyna Cab mode, and load the matching cab that you have in Cab Lab 4 in order to ensure you're loading the matching curve.

I did read that some users have found a way to run Cab Lab 4 and Axe-Edit at the same time, but I didn't retain that information, so I'll search for it, but that is definitely less convenient for some operations to be limited only to the front panel of the Axe-FX III by default. I'm really good at using the front panel, and I still find it much more efficient to turn to Axe-Edit for some operations.

Another UI suggestion: to be able to use the up and down keyboard arrows to scroll between mics, speakers and cabs. It's just a small workflow thing, but I think it would help with flow, similar to the way you can scroll though Legacy IRs in Axe-Edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom