DynaCab Pack Limited Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because they're two different things. The black box is the name (actually the metadata name) of the exported IR, while the session is the cab-lab project.
It is actually 3 different things. The session file name (when using SaveAs), the name at the box at the top left, and the name to Save & Export the IR (the box at the bottom left). The three can be different.

What I see problematic is that every time you press the Save button you will overwrite the same file, regardless of the name that you assign at the box at the top left. I have already lost 5 sessions doing that (changing the name at the box and pressing the save button, trusting that it would be saved with that name)
1697121381757.png
What is the purpose of the name at the top-left box if it is not used to save the file?
I thought that it would be used to quickly save your different sessions with different names, not to overwrite your previous session ignoring the new name

Last edited:
Using the 1960TV. Installation of CabLab Standalong was flawless. Ran it through its paces of adding cabs, switching mics, moving mic positions, phase alignment, etc. No problems. Even mixed in a "regular" cab from my collection - after adjusting phase alignment it blended with the Dynas flawlessly. The only bug - if you want to call it that - was when adding a cab or changing a mic, the pointer would hourglass and stay that way UNTIL I made any sort of adjustment to mic position, hi/low cut, etc. It was very noticeable when I'd have three and four cabs.

Sound-wise, the 1960Vs are very nice! The extra mic options are also great. Very easy to get a good sound.
I experienced something similar with the hourglass/spinning circle while changing mics (Win 10 x64). Was using the Marshall 4x12 and changing the mics and positions around. Using two cabs and was most likely to occur when switching from one ribbon mic to another. I have tried to reproduce consistently and was unable to do so.

Phasing issue solved by replacing the CAB block with a Shunt at my preset. For some reason, CabLab was not totally bypassing the CAB block.

Curious thing, because when I muted all the speakers at CabLab there was no sound, so I was convinced that it was really bypassed.
Make sure Air is 0 in your HW Cab Block(s).

Otherwise something in your interface monitoring is phasing.

I would say that's not the expected behaviour... What is your audio input & output configurations in CL4?

It's weird. I don't need to reboot FM3 after using CL4...
Yeah, ASIO UA Apollo USB direct into Win 10/Intel computer, with a separate USB port for the FM3 which is into a powered USB Hub, though everything works fine with the FM3 through the Hub, FM3 Edit, CL4 connected saving to HW etc?

Strange behavior...

I switched to DC power on each amp, but it didn't make any difference. I am not even trying to defeat the ghost notes all together. But the amount literally sounds like an octave below almost as loud as the original note when using the neck pickup ... only on the low E and A strings, and mostly between the 5th fret and the 15th fret. So I have copied the preset to 2 slots. On one version, I have my cab lab IRs, on the other the HW dynacabs with the same settings. It is only doing this on the cab lab IRs.
That description doesn't sound like ghost notes to me. They only occur within the amplifier block.

Does it occur with every preset on the modeler or only a specific one?

If it's a specific one share it so we can try to reproduce it.

That description doesn't sound like ghost notes to me. They only occur within the amplifier block.

I figured out what I did wrong. CL4 defaulted to no trim. Once I changed it to min phase, like it says to do in the instructions, this pitch went away. Now I only am getting the ghost notes as originally intended.

It is actually 3 different things. The session file name (when using SaveAs), the name at the black box at the top, and the name to Save & Export the IR (the box at the bottom left). The three can be different.

What I see problematic is that every time you press the Save button you will overwrite the same file, regardless of the name that you assign at the black box at the top. I have already lost 5 sessions doing that (changing the name at the box and pressing the save button, trusting that it would be saved with that name)
View attachment 127892
What is the purpose of the name at the top-left box if it is not used to save the file?
I thought that it would be used to quickly save your different sessions with different names, not to overwrite your previous session ignoring the new name
Oh sorry, personally I didn't even notice the black box at the top left, I thought you were talking about the "save & export" one. That's probably still metadata and not the filename, but I agree, it seems pretty useless and confusing to separate those two things in this case, or at least the difference between the two should be more clear.

I found that it is still doing the pitch issue on the doubleverb IR I created in CL4. Here is the preset and cab bundle, I added 2 IRs to compare from. You will want to be on scene 1. Switch to your neck pickup and play single notes around the 15th fret, then play the 16th fret and up and it disappears. It won't do it on scene 2 with the AC20 CL4 IR. Disregard other scenes.

Attachments

• CabLabTest.fasBundle
    30.8 KB · Views: 10
I noticed that if you save a session with the Trim set to min phase, if you load that scene it reverts back to no trim in the dialog box. If you click that dialog box, it has min phase checked. Might be just a display bug?

I found that it is still doing the pitch issue on the doubleverb IR I created in CL4. Here is the preset and cab bundle, I added 2 IRs to compare from. You will want to be on scene 1. Switch to your neck pickup and play single notes around the 15th fret, then play the 16th fret and up and it disappears. It won't do it on scene 2 with the AC20 CL4 IR. Disregard other scenes.
I tested it out and can hear what you're saying. The impedance curve in the speaker tab on the amp block looks weird. Try reloading the curve. The IR sounds normal when I try it in a different preset, so I think it's the speaker tab.

1697127748232.png

I tested it out and can hear what you're saying. The impedance curve in the speaker tab on the amp block looks weird. Try reloading the curve. The IR sounds normal when I try it in a different preset, so I think it's the speaker tab.

View attachment 127897
Right on the money. I had this issue since the last firmware release. When I loaded 23, it seemed to be resolved. I see it is back. It didn't have this pitch effect before, though. In the last FW it just sounded harsh. I hope this doesn't keep coming back. At least I have a fix for it now. Thank you.

View attachment 127897
Correct. That's not the right curve for the Deluxe Verb. I stepped through all the factory impedance-curves and it doesn't match.

Here's the default for that amp…

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 9.49.26 AM.png

Right on the money. I had this issue since the last firmware release. When I loaded 23, it seemed to be resolved. I see it is back. It didn't have this pitch effect before, though. In the last FW it just sounded harsh. I hope this doesn't keep coming back. At least I have a fix for it now. Thank you.
I've had it happen a few times. Sometimes it gets messed up when switching the auto imp. curve to off. It doesn't always happen and I haven't been able to reproduce it. Reloading the curve manually seems to fix it when it does happen.

I've had it happen a few times. Sometimes it gets messed up when switching the auto imp. curve to off. It doesn't always happen and I haven't been able to reproduce it. Reloading the curve manually seems to fix it when it does happen.
What is strange is that when I first loaded 23 beta it fixed this curve on all my presets. I am guessing that it changed either when I copied the preset to a new location to start tweaking CL4, or when I rebooted from last night. It changed all 4 amps in both amp blocks, and a couple I left auto imp on accidentally. On the last firmware, it would not fix the curve when switching to a different curve and coming back. On 23 beta it seems to fix it, even if I have to now check the curve any time something seems off. I'll take it.

I am experiencing the same with the 1960TV (that is the only pack I have so far). Random lower octave notes, too loud to be ghost notes. It rather sounds like a broken octave-divider. The amp is a Friedman BE V3 that never had ghost notes with any other CAB.

Furthermore, everything sounds like phasing through a metallic pipe, no matter what microphone or position I choose. Horrible. I would swear that last night it was not bad, but it was late at night when I tried it.

Edit: I have recorded the sound on Cakewalk, to show you how bad it sounds, but the recording sounds ok!! Not phased through a metallic tube. Maybe the signal is doubled and causing out-of-phase issues. What can it be?
I am using the Axe-FX as the only interface. No FX after the CAB block.

I initially had the same issue in SW Live Mode with the bypassed cab block sound behind the CL4 processed sound. I only had that issue connected via SPDIF to my UA Apollo interface . Using output 1 or 2 was ok.
Via the SPDIF connection to the Apollo, CL4 is bypassing the Cab block and applying the IR processing but I can hear both. Phasey and Ring Mod sounding. The fix was to mute the SPDIF channel which allowed only the CL4 processed sound through. Yes I followed the set up instructions, selected the SPDIF inputs on the Apollo.

I'm not sure if this is related to the UA interface or CL4. It could just be me missing something. Just putting it out there for anyone that is experiencing it. Seems counter intuitive to mute the input channel on the interface to get sound.
Add me to the list of phasing issues.

Created new preset with Input, Amp, Cab and Out block to test;

Issues occurs with DynaCab packs or in single IR mode with YA and OH cabs;

Issues occurs with one or multiple IRs are selected;

Phasing occurs if I am using the Axe or Focusrite 18i20 as the interface. I am also using SPDIF. Anytime I select an the appropriate input in Audio/Midi Settings, I get phasing;

I have replaced the Cab block with a Shunt as other suggested and the issue persists;

I also recorded the results in my DAW and the audio is as expected with no phasing.

As others have said, I also feel the output level is too loud.

Having the option of placing a mic on either side of the cone (Angular) vs only on one side in on-board DC really makes CL4 a cut above imo so far. I'm getting some great sound nuances out of CL4 that I can't get as much from the same cab/mic on-board.

What is strange is that when I first loaded 23 beta it fixed this curve on all my presets. I am guessing that it changed either when I copied the preset to a new location to start tweaking CL4, or when I rebooted from last night. It changed all 4 amps in both amp blocks, and a couple I left auto imp on accidentally. On the last firmware, it would not fix the curve when switching to a different curve and coming back. On 23 beta it seems to fix it, even if I have to now check the curve any time something seems off. I'll take it.
I didn't notice a change, but it's still a bit confusing how it works:
  • WIth auto-SIC ON in DC mode, in amp1, it loads the correct curve for the selected cab1/slot1 DC.
  • With auto-SIC ON or OFF in Legacy mode or OFF in DC mode, it loads the default curve associated to the amp or manually entered / previously saved override values if applicable.
  • With auto-SIC ON in Legacy mode, the curve dropdown is not modifiable (greyed out) but the default curve associated to the amp is displayed and active, or manually entered / previously saved override values are active and are update-able.
  • In DC mode, if you turn auto-SIC from ON to OFF the graph does not update until you go to another block and come back to the amp block (appears to be a bug).
  • The cab resonance bump seems to be taken from the default saved non auto-SIC value when in DC mode and auto-SIC is turned ON > OFF > ON but returns to the correct value when you go to another block and return like above.
I like authentic, and plan to always use either on-board DC or a DC cab mix exported from CL4 to a legacy slot, so I always save the correct curve for the DC cab I'm using to the amp block channel with auto-SIC OFF, then I turn auto-SIC back on and save. That way the curve is not flipping back to something else when I go back and forth between DC and Legacy modes using the same cab within a preset.

Last edited:
So I'm getting the hang of it. Lot of spinning icons, staying on throughout several adjustments now. And now what I'm getting is with all 4 cabs muted, it's still putting out audio. I cleared that by saving the session, closing, reopening, reconnecting and into Live mode using the setup wizard to disable the preset cab block. It worked for awhile and then the mutes stopped working again. I didn't see this until I added a 4th cab and started switching mics.

And again with the Live mode, the latency even at the best setting available is unplayable. So I'm running the looper at the input of my preset and use that for making adjustments in CL4. If there is a way to eliminate the latency when using the FM3 as the interface let me know.

If you guys at FAS need any files uploaded let me know.

Like IRs, Sessions have embedded internal names.
You make some good points though.

That's right. But that embedded name is at the bottom left box, under Save& Export. I am wondering if the name at the top left could be used to save the session using that file name, to prevent overwriting the file with your previous sessions.

Otherwise you have to go through the process of File>Save as... every time that you make a change worth to save with a different session name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom