Dyna-cab, general consensus is that they're "better" than legacy?

I’m not sure how playing technique factors into mic’ing up a cab. I can see that argument working for profiling an amp or buying someone else’s modeler presets, however.

Agreed. Another person's taste could, but as we've found out...most of the IRs are "raw" and probably in fairly standard-ish positions.

Plus, IMHO, not knowing exactly where the mics were forces you to actually listen to them as opposed to following your preconceptions. I don't mean to say that you can't do that moving a mic around. But that you have to with the IRs.

user dynacabs

That certainly seems difficult. Plus, if you already have the cab and the capability of making an IR, you might as well "get it right at the source" and just make the IR you want there.

Maybe it would be cool...but I picture the dynacabs being made with a robotic arm moving the mics. I don't think people are going to want to have to buy the cab, and the mics, and the robot, and then take the time.

I wasn’t really excited for them when I found out they were happening, to be honest. I’ve got so many IR’s and already figured out how to dial in tones as fast as I possibly could, it s just seemed a bit unnecessary to me, until I actually tried them.

I have not loaded a single IR since. Any time I go for an older preset using IR’s, I immediately change it to a DynaCab without even thinking if I need to or not. On another forum where someone just bought an FM3 and asked for some startup tips/IR suggestions, I suggested not even touching IR’s and just going for the DynaCabs.

Now I just need York to release their own DC’s and I’ll be set for life!

I can say now after testing DC some more, that that was exactly what I was missing with the usual IRs. Some of the sounds that I had in my head came to life. Changing the mic position makes a huge difference, it gives a completely different texture with small moves. To me it sounds now perfect and lively, I'm having a good time playing like never before.

I wasn’t really excited for them when I found out they were happening, to be honest. I’ve got so many IR’s and already figured out how to dial in tones as fast as I possibly could, it s just seemed a bit unnecessary to me, until I actually tried them.

I have not loaded a single IR since. Any time I go for an older preset using IR’s, I immediately change it to a DynaCab without even thinking if I need to or not. On another forum where someone just bought an FM3 and asked for some startup tips/IR suggestions, I suggested not even touching IR’s and just going for the DynaCabs.

Now I just need York to release their own DC’s and I’ll be set for life!

I still haven't succeeded getting decent Gilmour tones with the DynaCabs. I have spent a lot of time moving and combining mikes with all the available Cabs, but at the end of the day I am going back to my favourite IR (Vinai-T from LiveReadySound). Have you managed to get something there, or are you now on the Gore-Metal arena? :D

Last edited:
I like how you can make any Dyna Cab sound good, but at the end of the day I still prefer a couple legacy cabs for my main tones.

How about some of you guys post screenshots of a well dialed in DynaCab for a Marshall classic rock type of tone. Like Greenbacks or a TV cab or anything really. Or upload a cab block. Not being a smartass, just curious about what other people are getting out of the DC. I have a block that’s pretty good but I’m still using my fav IR’s. It’s weird, I play mostly phones but when I run my FRFR it sounds buzzier than it does through the phones. All my other presets sound like the phones when running the speaker.

How about some of you guys post screenshots of a well dialed in DynaCab for a Marshall classic rock type of tone. Like Greenbacks or a TV cab or anything really. Or upload a cab block. Not being a smartass, just curious about what other people are getting out of the DC. I have a block that’s pretty good but I’m still using my fav IR’s. It’s weird, I play mostly phones but when I run my FRFR it sounds buzzier than it does through the phones. All my other presets sound like the phones when running the speaker.
I posted some raw recorded tones on the previous page.

It’s really perfectible but that does not sounds buzzy or thin to my ears, the opposite I need to cut some unwanted lows.

Like always when I tweak a tone in the digital world, I absolutely don’t care at all about names or whatever is really applied in the real world to get a particular tone. I just experiment with the knowledge I have or informations I can learn from others and just tweak with my ears until I get to a tone that’s close of what I want to hear.

Here’s my previous message if it can help you.
So I updated my fm3 yesterday and gave a try to the dynacabs.

Honestly, really convincing for my taste. It's easy to tweak, dynacabs are really clear and alive. And yes for some it's on the bright side but as always the tone we want can be achieved in many different ways.

So made a 1959Slp press form scratch with the tweaks I like. I've tweaked a single 1960 TV (Ribbon), just added some preamp to it (FET II) and that's it.
To me it sounds really convincing. don't even need reverb anymore.

Here's a short sample, yes it can be perfected but making this preset took me about 15 minutes.
Guitar is the my old warmoth mahogany telecaster, Dimarzio DP411 neck and JB bridge (think I'm gonna try a less hotter pickup though)

IMO, users STILL need to get over the hump of listening to a mic'd amp and cabinet. Also, just because a given parameter is available in whatever block, DOES NOT MEAN YOU NEED TO TOUCH IT.

Rant over.

For me, moving the mic around is much quicker to get to a point that works for the part. It allows me to take any amp in the box and make it work, with IR's I didn't have the time.

IMO, users STILL need to get over the hump of listening to a mic'd amp and cabinet. Also, just because a given parameter is available in whatever block, DOES NOT MEAN YOU NEED TO TOUCH IT.

Rant over.

I got over that hump awhile ago. Hated it at first but it’s normal to me now. I touch pretty much every parameter to see what it does. Lots of them are so subtle it’s hard to tell if there’s a difference. Sure, you don’t have to but I’m just built that way. Each to his own. They’re all there because Cliff wanted them there. It shouldn’t bug you that people enjoy playing around with them.

Rant over.
Unfortunately most guitar players of the new gen have not experience mic'n up a cabinet for recording and doing it the right way, the pain and time (fun) it takes to achieve that great tone. Today it's all given to us in a virtual digital form.

The main thing here is to trust your ears, if you move a bazillion knobs and switches to get that tone you feel inspired playing, that's all that matters.

I still haven't succeeded getting decent Gilmour tones with the DynaCabs. I have spent a lot of time moving and combining mikes with all the available Cabs, but at the end of the day I am going back to my favourite IR (Vinai-T from LiveReadySound). Have you managed to get something there, or are you now on the Gore-Metal arena? :D

I want to say that “Coming Back To Life” clip I did was using Dynacabs but I’ll have to check the preset, I think I ditched the original presets and started fresh. I’ll take a peak tonight and letcha know, mang!

With that many knobs "just trust your ears " becomes a million to 1 shot - there has to be some methodology to go along with that ear trust
The secret to accelerating tone searches is a reference tone. Each person uses a separate or comparable process.

You may learn how the guitar was EQ into the mix by listening to the isolated guitar sounds of your favorite songs. The majority of the time, iso tracks don't sound very amazing by itself.

I got over that hump awhile ago. Hated it at first but it’s normal to me now. I touch pretty much every parameter to see what it does. Lots of them are so subtle it’s hard to tell if there’s a difference. Sure, you don’t have to but I’m just built that way. Each to his own. They’re all there because Cliff wanted them there. It shouldn’t bug you that people enjoy playing around with them.

100%
Quite often I enjoy tweaking parameters as much or more than playing
mad scientist experiment GIF

Back
Top Bottom