Dyna-cab, general consensus is that they're "better" than legacy?

For, references I use certain YouTube videos from guitar channels, since you can find many high quality recodings of the sound of the guitar in isolation, just perfectly balanced. This way I don't lose my mind in the minutia of audio engineering, as I can easily do otherwise.

For vintage tones I really love to enter the world of one Mr. Johan Segeborn. I don't follow his gear or knob settings; I just like to use what he's mic'd as a loose framework for a nice tone and character. The Marshall YouTube channel also has a couple great videos for tone reference, and, as you might expect, many of the videos Seymour Duncan has released. Leon Todd and Burgs have great ears, as most of us have experienced, and I reference them too. I'm sure there are tons of great channels for tone I haven't explored.

I think you just have to find what is most pleasing to you in isolation for practicing and try to stay sane and focused in the world of every piece of gear at your fingertips, remembering this is just a ramp up to your playing.

A mix, whether live, rehearsal, or recorded, is of course an entirely different story!

For, references I use certain YouTube videos from guitar channels, since you can find many high quality recodings of the sound of the guitar in isolation, just perfectly balanced. This way I don't lose my mind in the minutia of audio engineering, as I can easily do otherwise.

For vintage tones I really love to enter the world of one Mr. Johan Segeborn. I don't follow his gear or knob settings; I just like to use what he's mic'd as a loose framework for a nice tone and character. The Marshall YouTube channel also has a couple great videos for tone reference, and, as you might expect, many of the videos Seymour Duncan has released. Leon Todd and Burgs have great ears, as most of us have experienced, and I reference them too. I'm sure there are tons of great channels for tone I haven't explored.

I think you just have to find what is most pleasing to you in isolation for practicing and try to stay sane and focused in the world of every piece of gear at your fingertips, remembering this is just a ramp up to your playing.

A mix, whether live, rehearsal, or recorded, is of course an entirely different story!
John Nathan Cordy (not only Fractal) and Shawn Tubbs (not Fractal) too. Not heavy stuff really (me neither), just great cleans and mid-gain stuff.

Problem is, like Burgs and some others, they both just always sound great, whatever amp and effects are up, more their touch and vision than settings.

Last edited:
John Nathan Cordy and Shawn Tubbs (not Fractal) too. Not heavy stuff really (me neither), just great cleans and mid-gain stuff.

Problem is, like Burgs and some others, they both just always sound great, whatever amp and effects are up, more their touch and vision than settings.

I have such a familiarity with high gain tones, but all I care about right now are dynamic amps and playing that exploits their capabilities, any kind of Plexi being the king to me in that regard. It's like a foreign language to me, and I love it!

Most of the fun is on FC1 Pedal2, so if your expression pedal is a different one, adjust those accordingly to match your stuff....

Dude, the modifiers. Knowing you, I had to open that page first. This preset is insane. I have only one expression pedal, so I just plugged into slot 2 first, then slot 1, then back to slot 2, since you're right, that's where the fun is! I saw your per preset overrides too, so I opened Layout 6 on my FC12. This felt like I was in a studio wonderland. I loved playing with the chorus with the expression pedal. On my guitar, I think the humbucker ones matched it a little better. It probably sounds glorious through one of your guitars. This is the kind of preset they should include with the unit so users can tear it down and study it. Excellent work.

Dude, the modifiers. Knowing you, I had to open that page first.

Yup. Mr. Modifier, that's me. :)

This preset is insane.

Thank you. :D All the best presets are....
download (51).jpeg

I have only one expression pedal, so I just plugged into slot 2 first, then slot 1, then back to slot 2, since you're right, that's where the fun is! I saw your per preset overrides too, so I opened Layout 6 on my FC12. This felt like I was in a studio wonderland. I loved playing with the chorus with the expression pedal. On my guitar, I think the humbucker ones matched it a little better. It probably sounds glorious through one of your guitars. This is the kind of preset they should include with the unit so users can tear it down and study it. Excellent work.
Thanks! It is a culmination of quite a bit of trial and error and refinement. I truly think I could get through an entire gig on this preset, even switching guitars where needed - at least with the material my old bands played.

Dude, the modifiers. Knowing you, I had to open that page first. This preset is insane. I have only one expression pedal, so I just plugged into slot 2 first, then slot 1, then back to slot 2, since you're right, that's where the fun is! I saw your per preset overrides too, so I opened Layout 6 on my FC12. This felt like I was in a studio wonderland. I loved playing with the chorus with the expression pedal. On my guitar, I think the humbucker ones matched it a little better. It probably sounds glorious through one of your guitars. This is the kind of preset they should include with the unit so users can tear it down and study it. Excellent work.

Small improvements to sloppy channel assignments and copy/paste errors. I think I found 'em all this time.

New copy of preset.

Ok. since so many praise the DynaCab feature, I decided to give them one more shot. This time I started from a completely blank preset and told myself that I would stay with the Dynacabs for the entire evening (regardless of how I felt about them).

The result was much better this time. And I ended up with many presets that sounded great! I still think some of the DynaCabs are a bit too scooped (looking at you Double Verb; you are not this scooped as a legacy IR). Also, using a single sm57 (which is my usual go-to in the Legacy IRs) is a bit thinner and weaker sounding with DynaCabs, so I had to mix in other mics to get some body back.

But I did find some great tones with DynaCabs, so I do have to walk back some of what I said earlier.

I still think the difference between Legacy IRs and DynaCabs are substantial. They sound completely different from each other (more than just mic placement). But I now appreciate the DynaCabs more and will continue exploring them further!

Ok. since so many praise the DynaCab feature, I decided to give them one more shot. This time I started from a completely blank preset and told myself that I would stay with the Dynacabs for the entire evening (regardless of how I felt about them).

The result was much better this time. And I ended up with many presets that sounded great! I still think some of the DynaCabs are a bit too scooped (looking at you Double Verb; you are not this scooped as a legacy IR). Also, using a single sm57 (which is my usual go-to in the Legacy IRs) is a bit thinner and weaker sounding with DynaCabs, so I had to mix in other mics to get some body back.

But I did find some great tones with DynaCabs, so I do have to walk back some of what I said earlier.

I still think the difference between Legacy IRs and DynaCabs are substantial. They sound completely different from each other (more than just mic placement). But I now appreciate the DynaCabs more and will continue exploring them further!
I'm glad someone else thinks that a DC with a single dynamic mic seems pretty thin.
I have said before that IMO, I shouldn't need a ribbon or another mic for a dynamic to sound good. I've never toted a $1500 ribbon mic around with me all these years to play gigs... a single 57 has always done the job and I cant understand why it doesnt do the same with DC's. I just can't seem to figure out the DC's for right now.
For me, the best rock/metal tones I have ever gotten has been from Fractal and the use of an IR of a single 57, whether FAS legacy stuff or Ownhammer IR's. If I use Ownhammer stuff, it's typically a "57-05".
The Lynch 57 cab in Factory 2 is glorious as well. If I need some bottom end from any 57 IR, I use a little of the "proximity" parameter.
Ultimately, I really think it comes down to what your use case is and also the genre of music. I don't do any studio work so maybe a ribbon or condenser isn't necessary for me. A 57 has always sounded like rock n roll to me.

I'm glad someone else thinks that a DC with a single dynamic mic seems pretty thin.
I have said before that IMO, I shouldn't need a ribbon or another mic for a dynamic to sound good. I've never toted a $1500 ribbon mic around with me all these years to play gigs... a single 57 has always done the job and I cant understand why it doesnt do the same with DC's. I just can't seem to figure out the DC's for right now.
For me, the best rock/metal tones I have ever gotten has been from Fractal and the use of an IR of a single 57, whether FAS legacy stuff or Ownhammer IR's. If I use Ownhammer stuff, it's typically a "57-05".
The Lynch 57 cab in Factory 2 is glorious as well. If I need some bottom end from any 57 IR, I use a little of the "proximity" parameter.
Ultimately, I really think it comes down to what your use case is and also the genre of music. I don't do any studio work so maybe a ribbon or condenser isn't necessary for me. A 57 has always sounded like rock n roll to me.
I know what you mean cause I felt exactly the same thing. I first tried a 57 on a 1960tv and said « what so thin?? «

but I decided to try other mics and combination and guess what it sounded way clearer and natural than any irs I’ve tried.

So who cares if the name are different if you can get the tone you want :)

Do you use the default distance of 0, or start that at 5 too?
I have a few ready starting point distances, depending on the overall character of the cab (too many lows, too few lows, and just right). All landed on numbers that are rememberable as years belonging to historical events, oddly enough, just by using the arrow keys and cmd-arrow keys. :) I usually use the same "just off the center" setting to start. Usually those sound good and require no further tweaks....

Back
Top Bottom