Dweezil Zappa presets posted on Axechange!

I know it's been said on other post before, but it's true, the IR's can really make a HUGE difference in the tone shaping of a patch. When I played through your first VH patch (Haven't tried the newer ones yet) I thought it sounded very good especially with my Musicman Axis. Then the tweaker side of me decided to try some different cabs, so I put Jay Mitchell's Gold+G12-65 IR mixed with 4x12 25w and the tone was reminding me of Neal Schon's tone in this live CD I have of him playing with Paul Rodgers, smokin' tone!! I found myself playing all day with that patch! So now I'm in trouble for not doing the "honey do list"!

Well, I'm off to mow the lawn, SEE YA!!

p.s. Dweezil, thanks again for sharing your patches and the insight, much appreciated!

dweezil zappa said:
Hello FF's,
On the advice of a fellow Axe Effects user I tried some custom cab impulses on the Eruption preset. It made a huge difference. Thanks!!!

I was able to remove a lot of EQ which drastically improved the playability and made it possible for more different guitars to translate more accurately.

The impulses I used are within the files Cliff uploaded a while back. I don't know where the link is... sorry. I'm sure it's findable on the forum though - I found it. The impulses I used are in the Plexi folder. There are only 2 in there so that makes it easy.

Cabinet 1 uses Marshall Plexi sm57 and Cabinet 2 uses Marshall Plexi sm57 off axis.

I definitely recommend downloading those impulses to properly hear this preset.

I believe this is the link DZ is referring to:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1907&hilit=IR+collection

Daniel

dweezil zappa said:
Hello FF's,
On the advice of a fellow Axe Effects user I tried some custom cab impulses on the Eruption preset. It made a huge difference. Thanks!!!

I was able to remove a lot of EQ which drastically improved the playability and made it possible for more different guitars to translate more accurately.

The impulses I used are within the files Cliff uploaded a while back. I don't know where the link is... sorry. I'm sure it's findable on the forum though - I found it. The impulses I used are in the Plexi folder. There are only 2 in there so that makes it easy.

Cabinet 1 uses Marshall Plexi sm57 and Cabinet 2 uses Marshall Plexi sm57 off axis.

I definitely recommend downloading those impulses to properly hear this preset.

By the way, the Flanger and delay are set up for Ain't Talkin' Bout Love. Turn off the reverb on Cabinet 1 and leave it on for Cabinet 2 to simulate the sound of the intro with tons of reverb on the right side.

There was someone who asked about some of my Tour presets. I haven't fully designed those yet. I will post a Frank Zappa style Dynaflanger Lead tone at some point.

Regards, DZ
Wow!

Step 1 - load Dweezil's preset and plexi cabs
Step 2 - play your guitar
Step 3 - shit your drawers

Seriously folks....it's that freakin' good! Thank you so much, Dweezil!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but when I have the pitch shift engaged on Dweezil's presets, (say VAN HALEN ZAPPA 3), the tracking is WAY off. It sounds like two out of tune guitars playing at the same time. I don't get it... I didn't touch the presets at all? What am I missing?

Steve

Hey Steve,
It sounds like 2 guitars playing at the same time in different tunings if you are not monitoring the electric sound louder than the acoustic sound of your guitar.

The pitch module is tuning the whole guitar down a half step. If you are playing quietly you'll hear both tunings at the same time. Turn it up!

If you're still hearing pitch issues then there is a corruption of "Eruption" of some sort... in short...

Your other option is to tune your guitar down to E flat and turn the pitch module off. The preset sounds best that way in general. I just made the pitch thing for convenience as well as to prove to myself that it was possible.

Regards, DZ

The latest one w/ the custom cabs sounds REALLY good.With some modifications it sounds fantastic on my strat as well.

Thanks

I found the custom IR's but can somebody give me the right URL, because I only find patches from Dweezil with standard CAB's on it.

Thanks!

voes said:
I found the custom IR's but can somebody give me the right URL, because I only find patches from Dweezil with standard CAB's on it.

Thanks!

You have to load the IRs yourself. They in the second stickied thread in the main forum in the Marshall Plexi directory.

dweezil zappa said:
Hey Steve,
It sounds like 2 guitars playing at the same time in different tunings if you are not monitoring the electric sound louder than the acoustic sound of your guitar.

The pitch module is tuning the whole guitar down a half step. If you are playing quietly you'll hear both tunings at the same time. Turn it up!

If you're still hearing pitch issues then there is a corruption of "Eruption" of some sort... in short...

Your other option is to tune your guitar down to E flat and turn the pitch module off. The preset sounds best that way in general. I just made the pitch thing for convenience as well as to prove to myself that it was possible.

Regards, DZ
Dweezil,

:oops: I should have thought of that... My wife was asleep upstairs and I was playing VERY low just to make sure everything was working since I just upgraded to 7.04 as well... Of course, this makes total sense. I'll try 'em again today - LOUD! :D

In any case, I've got guitars that stay in E flat tuning, so I'll prolly just use those with the patch...

Thanks man!

Steve

What a difference the IRs make! This patch sounds fantastic. Looking at the routing, effects placement, and use of the mbc has been a major paradigm shift for me. Great stuff, thanks DZ!
I'm having really good results with various guitars. With my Strat, I'm using a Sun Face for a little boost and it sounds pretty mean. :cool: There goes another productive day of helping my wife around the house. No worries though. How can she bitch when I'm sounding so good?!? :lol:

javajunkie said:
voes said:

Thanks!

You have to load the IRs yourself. They in the second stickied thread in the main forum in the Marshall Plexi directory.

I know that, but I'm looking for the patch DZ posted which uses these custom IR cabinets. The only patches I see are with standard cab's

voes said:
I know that, but I'm looking for the patch DZ posted which uses these custom IR cabinets. The only patches I see are with standard cab's

It doesn't appear on the Axechange page that I searched either but I found it using the editor's search function. :cool:

acwild said:
voes said:

It doesn't appear on the Axechange page that I searched either but I found it using the editor's search function. :cool:

In the editor just click the search button with out putting in any text. It will be the last one. I can't get search to work on exchange.

Van Halen Zappa 3

Remember with the way the flanger, phaser, and delay is setup. each will sound weak in the mix unless you change the unused ones to mute the output. The axe-fx does not cut the volume in 1/2 when you split the signal, it is like a buffered split. When you put those signals back together you will get a boost in volume.

If you don't and you are not using 2 of the effects you will get dry+dry+phaser (27.2%). That will cut the phaser mix down by a third and increase the signal levels by 3x (Row 1 +Row 2+Row 3) when it hits the filter.

javajunkie said:
Remember with the way the flanger, phaser, and delay is setup. each will sound weak in the mix unless you change the unused ones to mute the output. The axe-fx does not cut the volume in 1/2 when you split the signal, it is like a buffered split. When you put those signals back together you will get a boost in volume.

If you don't and you are not using 2 of the effects you will get dry+dry+phaser (27.2%). That will cut the phaser mix down by a third and increase the signal levels by 3x (Row 1 +Row 2+Row 3) when it hits the filter.

I'm not really sure that I understand how to mute the output. :?: Would arranging the effects in a line have the same results?

acwild said:
javajunkie said:

I'm not really sure that I understand how to mute the output. :?: Would arranging the effects in a line have the same results?

On the bypass mode settings for the block. Select MUTE OUT.

Back
Top Bottom