Dweezil Zappa presets posted on Axechange!

Hey, perfect timing Dweezil! I just recieved my midi interface yesterday so needless to say I've been a download junkie! Looking forward to seeing how you set up the MBC, great tip!

Oh, and Welcome to the forum! :D

Great stuff! I had a play with both and they sound really great :) I couldn't get over how much the MB Comp changes the tone, gonna have to try that one :)

Thanks for posting them Dweezil, it's great to see how someone who constantly has fantastic tone goes about getting it on the Axe...

Spence

xpenno said:
Great stuff! I had a play with both and they sound really great :) I couldn't get over how much the MB Comp changes the tone, gonna have to try that one :)

Thanks for posting them Dweezil, it's great to see how someone who constantly has fantastic tone goes about getting it on the Axe...

Spence

Just been messing around with it myself. I found by lowering freq2 on page one gave it more bite.

Sounds Pretty damn good..... looks like after all these years I'm gonna learn Eruption :D
Thanks Dweezil.

Definitely going to be going the Colston Hall, Bristol show now to hear the Ultra used in Anger.........as long as you play Eruption of course ;)

O.K., I guess I’m the first to say “the emperor has no clothes on” …!

I mean, the pitch block is cool, and so is the MBC ( I copied it over to a couple of my other patches ) …, and it really brings them to life when it doesn’t cause a CPU overload !

But on my system it's not anywhere close to the clip that DZ sent Cliff ( or the YouTube of his live performance for that matter) …. Maybe it’s my guitar, because it probably couldn’t be farther from what DZ tweaked it out with ( it’s a Jackson PC-1 w/an SD EVH pickup ), quite a difference between that an an SG !

Anyway, I’m running FRFR ( or an equivalent ), a couple of KRK V8 monitors.

There’s just no punch to the tone ! The saturated mid-heavy - "speakers on the edge of melt-down" I’m listening for is no where to be found …. Plus, it seems like the phase is WAY to subtle, and like I’ve got a blanket thrown over my monitors. The same with the EJ patch, it’s very VERY dark sounding, useably so ?

I'm scratching my head here, because I didn’t touch any of my global settings and everything else sounds fine ?

I'm not saying it's not a very cool patch, I've learned a ton by dissecting it and applying things to my other patches. The MBC makes my patches just "play" better, and by that I guess I mean play easier ! But it just dosen't "sound" anything like VH on my rig .... Pete Thorn's patch is miles closer for me. Oh well …., the licks aren’t in my fingers either.

Back to the drawing board !

Hello FF's,
I'm curious to hear about the translation of the presets. It's helpful. The goal is obviously for each sound to translate well in every environment.

The Eruption preset that I posted is slightly altered from the one that I used during the concert. If anything it is actually brighter. I purposely tamed the high end on the one I used during the concert so I could hear how it would translate.

I can post that one as well and see if it works any better for some of you.

The Eric Johnson sound is very dark because it is actually a replication of his actual rig sound - not the finished record sound. If you were to compare the 2 they are very different. The finished record sound - "Cliffs" - is swimming in reverb and has quite a bit of top end boosted.

I happen to have tracks that EJ played on for me so I have access to original source tone references. My preset is quite close to the source. It's very easy to make it brighter and put lot's of reverb on it. The brightness can be best achieved with a parametric eq.

I'm not sure why the translation is so different on your system. I know that from guitar to guitar on the Eruption preset it does shift sometimes dramatically. I may work on a variation starting with a guitar that has a darker output and see what happens, maybe more guitars will translate better.

Other than that it's likely to be environmental surroundings and speaker anomalies that cause these translation issues. I run directly into a console and then into Nuendo when programming and monitoring. I have Genelec speakers.

Anyway, I'll check it some more and re-post if I make an improvement.

Regards, DZ

The phase is subtle because there are three lines; one for the phaser, one for the flanger, one for the delay. Even though the delay and flanger are bypassed by default, their bypass mode is set to mix=0% on the flanger and mute fx in on the delay. This means that 2 extra dry signals are passed along with the 50% mixed flange. Setting the bypass mode to "mute out" on both will eliminate this or just run them in series. It really depends on what you want to do with them.

Another thing having the 3 signals converging before the amp does is boost the signal. It is like running 3 copies of the signal and mixing them together. You get 3x the signal.

I found it sounded really nice and meaty w/ my Les Paul Studio. I brightened things up a tad because the paul is a bit dark.

The 2 cab choices blended together wonderfully, I thought.

I tried the Phaser in some of my other patches and really liked it. Only thing I changed was bringing the mix up to 50% and then taking the depth down a bit. Acts a little more like the pedal that way (at least to me).

Still, this is in no way meant as criticism. It's probably the closest I've heard to an MXR coming out of the Axe !

Hello FF's,
I posted an improved Eruption Preset called VAN HALEN ZAPPA 2. I also posted my original preset that I used onstage - just as you heard it on the audio clip and the video.

I think the newest one has even better playability and more musical EQ - that is also more accurate to the mastered record.

I changed the mics and cabinets and added a mixer to attempt to blend the 2 cabinets better and then "re-stereoize" them. The mixer doesn't quite have the ability to do that job exactly as I would like since there does not seem to be any discreet ins and outs. Maybe Cliff will be able to work on that at some point???

In any case, I think this one is better. What do you all think?

Regards, DZ

Hi Dweezil,

I like the E J patch a lot. Thank you. It does have that strange darkness vibe that is so beautiful when Eric play. I look forward to trying this Eruption patch out as well.

I was wondering if you have any presets that match some of you big Rig sounds that you've been using on ZPZ shows? If so will you post a few.
Thank you.

Larry

dweezil zappa said:
Hello FF's,
I posted an improved Eruption Preset called VAN HALEN ZAPPA 2. I also posted my original preset that I used onstage - just as you heard it on the audio clip and the video.

I think the newest one has even better playability and more musical EQ - that is also more accurate to the mastered record.

I changed the mics and cabinets and added a mixer to attempt to blend the 2 cabinets better and then "re-stereoize" them. The mixer doesn't quite have the ability to do that job exactly as I would like since there does not seem to be any discreet ins and outs. Maybe Cliff will be able to work on that at some point???

Regards, DZ

DZ,

I didn’t mean for my comments to send you back to “the woodshed” ( so to speak ) …. Sorry about that. I agree completely with your commnts about the environment making things so different. The “rigs” I’ve used in the past ( Tube Amps ) seemed to change night to night based on the damn humidity in the room we were playing …. That’s one reason I sought out the Axe, because I was looking for more consistency in different venues ( night to night, etc; ).

Plus, there’s miles and miles of difference between what and where you’re developing the tone, and where I’m playing it. Sounds like you’re using a studio environment and I’m …, well just not ! Plus I’m not even using a mixer per ‘se. To keep my rack as small as possible, I’m just running the Axe into an old Rocktron, G612 single space rack mixer, then straight to the KRK’s. No pre-amp or any EQ in the Rocktron. The console you’re using ( or more importantly that I’m NOT ) could be accounting for a huge difference right there. Not to mention your Genelec’s are probably at least one generation of technology more modern than my KRK’s ….

Plus I want to reiterate that I thought the Pitch Block you developed to re-tune the guitar is VERY cool ! I made a couple of half-a@@’ed attempts, but couldn’t get out some sort of metaliac ringing so I quit using it. Yours dosen’t have that anywhere that I can here ! It’s awesome to be able to jam along to CD’s when learning parts and not have to switch guitars because the original artists were tuned different ! And you were right, the correct tuning makes a HUGE difference in being able to cop the feel of the song.

And the MBC …. WOW ! Like I said when it’s set up right it really makes the whole guitar just play easier for me. I don’t have to work near as hard to simply play the instrument ! I’ve got a 80’s “hair” guitar patch that I had packed full of effects that it prooved to be too much for the CPU ( overload ). But, once I stripped out the effects and then put in the MBC ( tweaked it a bit ) …. I could play that patch for hours and never even mis the delay and/or reverb. Most times I have to have at least a little of that, just to create the illusion of space …. I feel like Billy Gibbons playing with just the dry guitar sound ! The addition of the MBC is JUST THAT GOOD !

O.K., enough rambling ! I’ll be sure to pull up VAN HALEN ZAPPA 2 and see how that reacts for me when I get home tonight. And THANKS SO MUCH for being so willing to share your work with guitar hacks like me !

BTW – as an aside. I just got my RED BEAR picks last nite too ! I picked up a Classic II and a Tri-Tip just to try them out …. I gotta say, I really like them ! I ordered ex-heavy, and the Classic II has the beveled speed tip. It took a bit to get them, ‘cause I ordered the black onyx color. But my first impressions are very good. They’ve got about the same “pick-chirp” as Vinni Smith’s V-Picks, but they seem to sound just a tad warmer and might slip over the strings just a bit smoother too. Thanks for the recommendation !

L8tr ….

dweezil zappa said:
Hello FF's,

Regards, DZ

Yeah what you did with the mixer would have been the same as using the pan and level parameters in each of the cab blocks.What exactly were you trying to accomplish with the mixer? Maybe there is a another way other than mixer route.

I noticed you are using a (full spread, full ratio) stereo delay before your cabinets. Because you are following it with to mono cabs, you are collapsing 2 separate stereo signals to mono. So you are sending a stereo signal to cabinet 1 and a stereo signal to cabinet 2. Each one of the cab blocks is summing the stereo into mono and then it is processed by the cab sim. The end result is the stereo delay is converted to mono. Is this the issue you are running into?

If so, you can do a couple things. Either use a stereo cab (that will give you a L and R cab that you can set discretely) or use the mixer block before the cabs and pan row 2 and 3).

Hi Dweezil,

I tried the original 2 patches you posted on a pair or Event Studio Precision 8 monitors. I have found the Van Halen patch to sound a bit thin in the high end (I will have to try the 2 other ones you uploaded). As for the Eric Johnson, when I tried I was like WTF is this!!! Is my AXE broken? I was expecting the recording type of sound obviously :mrgreen: . I just read that is the sound as it comes from his rig (thank god). Wow, what a difference with the final sound!!!. I have read about Eric spending hours and hours (or days) positioning the microphones for one of his albums to get the sound he wanted. I understand it now.

Btw I suggest you to try with custom IR instead of the factory ones. Clawfinger has pretty good ones here http://impulses.falstudios.com for example.

Thanks for your patches.

VegaBaby said:
R.D. said:
DZ,

I didn’t mean for my comments to send you back to “the woodshed” ( so to speak ) ….
That would be the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen ;)

Lmao!! That made my day! ^ You passed the Zappa Fan test Vega! You rock!

GuitarDojo said:
VegaBaby said:
R.D. said:
DZ,

I didn’t mean for my comments to send you back to “the woodshed” ( so to speak ) ….
That would be the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen ;)

Lmao!! That made my day! ^ You passed the Zappa Fan test Vega! You rock!
Well...there are just a few things that should be common knowledge, right :lol:

Hello FF's,
On the advice of a fellow Axe Effects user I tried some custom cab impulses on the Eruption preset. It made a huge difference. Thanks!!!

I was able to remove a lot of EQ which drastically improved the playability and made it possible for more different guitars to translate more accurately.

The impulses I used are within the files Cliff uploaded a while back. I don't know where the link is... sorry. I'm sure it's findable on the forum though - I found it. The impulses I used are in the Plexi folder. There are only 2 in there so that makes it easy.

Cabinet 1 uses Marshall Plexi sm57 and Cabinet 2 uses Marshall Plexi sm57 off axis.

I definitely recommend downloading those impulses to properly hear this preset.

By the way, the Flanger and delay are set up for Ain't Talkin' Bout Love. Turn off the reverb on Cabinet 1 and leave it on for Cabinet 2 to simulate the sound of the intro with tons of reverb on the right side.

There was someone who asked about some of my Tour presets. I haven't fully designed those yet. I will post a Frank Zappa style Dynaflanger Lead tone at some point.

Regards, DZ

Hey Dweezil.. was wonderin if you still use/need that Madonna Jackson guitar you have? :lol:

I remember when I first saw a pic of that.. pure sex.

Thanks for the patches.

Back
Top Bottom