"Drop" Switch for Humbucker Guitars

Would be cool to have some "drop" switch to just drop 6dB of input gain (or something similar) for when you use a humbucker guitar. Similar to when you use the second input on a fender amp. I realize that I can just subtract 6dB of input gain.

Say you're playing your strat, you like the character of the tone, and you wanna switch to your Les Paul and just have a pickup tone, but maybe the same character gain-wise without having to bring input gain up and down until you figure it out and then change it back for the strat. Then you also run the risk of accidentally saving the preset with altered gain and then when you plug your strat next time, you gotta find where it was before. With a "drop" switch (or whatever name) you can just toggle it back and forth.

Does this seem useful to anyone else? Would be great for studio work flow.

Use Input Trim on the AMP block for this.

-6 dB is about 0.500 on Input Trim.

You can even assign it to a controller if you want to toggle it with a switch on an controller.

i think this falls into the same category of "make the Axe do ___ when i use different guitars." the common suggestion is use different presets for different guitars. i think many people would forget or not know there is a "change the amp input gain" switch in the amp block itself and wonder why the preset sounds different.

the common suggestion is use different presets for different guitars.
This.

One bank of presets for your single-coil guitars, and another bank of presets for your humbuckers. When you change guitars, just change banks. Done.

Would be cool to have some "drop" switch to just drop 6dB of input gain (or something similar) for when you use a humbucker guitar. Similar to when you use the second input on a fender amp. I realize that I can just subtract 6dB of input gain.

Say you're playing your strat, you like the character of the tone, and you wanna switch to your Les Paul and just have a pickup tone, but maybe the same character gain-wise without having to bring input gain up and down until you figure it out and then change it back for the strat. Then you also run the risk of accidentally saving the preset with altered gain and then when you plug your strat next time, you gotta find where it was before. With a "drop" switch (or whatever name) you can just toggle it back and forth.

Does this seem useful to anyone else? Would be great for studio work flow.

Yes, that would be useful. If you don't have your usual guitar and you need to compensate for different pickup output levels, it would be handy to be able to make a global adjustment so you can play all your presets with the substitute guitar. The AxeFX II had that feature and I used it a lot. I'm not sure why it was left out of the AxeFX III.

I have 4 sets of presets for my 4 guitars. It is not only singlecoil/humbucker gain, there are other nuances that I like to customize.

Even different scenes for different pickup position.

My preset names start with the initials that identify the guitar

The one thing I miss about the Ultra was having an input level knob I could turn at any moment to change the level of the signal hitting the grid.

Sometimes during a gig, strings break, guitars malfunction, or you just feel like playing different one. Being able to adjust the input level to the first block easily on the fly was a great utility that I really miss.

The one thing I miss about the Ultra was having an input level knob I could turn at any moment to change the level of the signal hitting the grid.

I missed that too. I ended up putting Output Level from Input 1 as a global performance control. It was as close as a way I could find.

This is easy with an expression pedal. Attach it to whatever point you want in the signal chain (depending on if you're going for volume or gain staging changes) and vary to taste for your guitars. And If you use a knob instead of a treadle, you can easily mark the spot you want for different guitars.

Back
Top Bottom