Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities Volume 5: Based on Friedman Amplification® DIRTY SHIRLEY 112™ 1X12

dr bonkers

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities™ Volume 5: FLTHY 1X12 Guitar Cabinet IR Collection is based upon a Friedman Amplification® DIRTY SHIRLEY 112™ 1X12 Guitar Amp Cabinet. This cabinet included the original 1X12 Celestion® G12-65 Creamback speakers for Guitar. 3 mic positions using 17 mics captured both with the secret reference power amp as well as using Mic+Di method. 8 Choice mixes & 8 HypeReal mixes.

No post processing was done to any guitar or bass tracks or overall mix, regarding the clips posted in on my site in the URL below.

Purchase the IR files here:

https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/p...me-5-flthy-1x12-guitar-cabinet-ir-collection/

I also offer a Wav version IR guitar cab pack. Fractal Audio Systems® Axe-FXII™, Axe-FXIIXL+™, AX-8™, & Cab Lab3™ are also supported either with the Fractal pack or the combo pack as applicable.

Nice job on this! Love the mic choices, and you have the perfect amount of choices to blend as well. And easy to navigate.
Really digging this cab a lot.

completely agree with Perdikament, this cab is really cool, nicely balanced and sharpened !! i've played it this afternoon and i'm feeling inspired by the sound i've obtained!
well done Dr Bonkers!
it will be a long night ;)

Last edited:
I went into Cab Lab and mixed the RE20 Cone with the RE10 Cap straight up, & am loving it. Haven't gone any further than that, cause I got stuck in just playin', which is a great thing.

The RE-10 is a mic I stumbled across years ago for being great on rock guitar. When a certain amount of dB SPL hits the diaphragm, it compresses the signal in a really cool way.

Surprisingly enough, it's also the type of mic that was used to record the guitars on "The Weight" by The Band according to recording lore.

I been messing around in Cab Lab a bit, made a few more mixes, basically the same formula, but with a few other mics, the D12 and the M160. Both are killer with the DS.

What's the deal with the Power Amp IR's? I didn't load those, cause I wasn't really sure what they were all about & my user cab banks are such a mess I figured I'd just start with the DI. Is there that much difference & what's the purpose?
EDIT: I just loaded up a few of them to compare, is it me or are they just a tad bit warmer sounding? My ears are a bit shot at this point, but am I hearing a tad more low, a tad more high & a tad more string to string separation? Or am I a combination of 1/2 deaf & 1/2 losing my mind? Lol

Last edited:
I been messing around in Cab Lab a bit, made a few more mixes, basically the same formula, but with a few other mics, the D12 and the M160. Both are killer with the DS.

What's the deal with the Power Amp IR's? I didn't load those, cause I wasn't really sure what they were all about & my user cab banks are such a mess I figured I'd just start with the DI. Is there that much difference & what's the purpose?
EDIT: I just loaded up a few of them to compare, is it me or are they just a tad bit warmer sounding? My ears are a bit shot at this point, but am I hearing a tad more low, a tad more high & a tad more string to string separation? Or am I a combination of 1/2 deaf & 1/2 losing my mind? Lol
The power amp included files are a little tubbier to my ears, others call them warmer. A lot of Two Notes users demanded that I give them the power amp baked in as an option.

The power amp files don't rock my world personally, but some people like them, so I try to help people out by providing them.

The power amp included files are a little tubbier to my ears, others call them warmer. A lot of Two Notes users demanded that I give them the power amp baked in as an option.

The power amp files don't rock my world personally, but some people like them, so I try to help people out by providing them.
Tubbier, good adjective, I thought I was hearing something.. it seemed fairly subtle from what I was hearing, but I only loaded up 4 of the PA IR's. Hey, at least I know I'm not going nuts!!

Agreed, the power amp amp files seem superfluous to me,...but again, I'm not a fan of the the Two notes stuff...but the rest of it agrees Very well with my AustinBuddy Friedman models....

The Audix D6 is an interesting mic because it was engineered with a smile curve frequency response initially for use on kick drum.

IRL during a session once, when a player had a godawful tone with a Mesa combo during recording and I was afraid to ask him to change his amp settings, I threw this mic on the cab in desperation. The player thought I was a magician. He wanted to know what outboard gear I put on him while tracking to make it sound so good during playback.

I saddened him when I told him it was only a mic change that made that difference to his sound.

Since then I held this mic as a secret weapon in my bag of tricks.

The Audix D6 is an interesting mic because it was engineered with a smile curve frequency response initially for use on kick drum.

IRL during a session once, when a player had a godawful tone with a Mesa combo during recording and I was afraid to ask him to change his amp settings, I threw this mic on the cab in desperation. The player thought I was a magician. He wanted to know what outboard gear I put on him while tracking to make it sound so good during playback.

I saddened him when I told him it was only a mic change that made that difference to his sound.

Since then I held this mic as a secret weapon in my bag of tricks.
I always liked the Audix mics on the drums. The D6 and the I think the i5's, I used them for years doing live sound.

Where might one find that particular IR?
The MicDi folder. I don't know if he's referring to the cap, cone, or edge file for the SM57. I'm afraid to ask because TGP gets a little banging around like Thor's hammer if they think you are remotely steering a conversation in a promo kind of way.

The MicDi folder. I don't know if he's referring to the cap, cone, or edge file for the SM57. I'm afraid to ask because TGP gets a little banging around like Thor's hammer if they think you are remotely steering a conversation in a promo kind of way.
Yeah, it took me a few to make the connection between "Filthy" and Dirty Shirley, (damn I'm getting old,) then I realized I already had the pack. Then I looked to see if there was one that was a solo 57 IR and there was not.. lol. Either way, the IR's in this pack are fantastic, and the 57 is a definite winner as well.
I was just a little bummed out cause I thought I was hot on the tail for another killer Doctor Bonkers. :mad::p

Yeah, it took me a few to make the connection between "Filthy" and Dirty Shirley, (damn I'm getting old,) then I realized I already had the pack. Then I looked to see if there was one that was a solo 57 IR and there was not.. lol. Either way, the IR's in this pack are fantastic, and the 57 is a definite winner as well.
I was just a little bummed out cause I thought I was hot on the tail for another killer Doctor Bonkers. :mad::p
If you like the Dirty Shirley, then my Marshall pack, Tone King Falcon, or Gibson Lab Series may be in your wheelhouse too.

If you like the Dirty Shirley, then my Marshall pack, Tone King Falcon, or Gibson Lab Series may be in your wheelhouse too.
I'll grab that Marshall, that is a speaker I don't believe I have. I gotta find some good 1x15 and some 3x10 / 4x10 for Fender. VibroKing, VibroVerb, Super & I'd like to try and find something I could resemble a Mesa Maverick, I had a 1x12 & 4x10 version of that amp. Sweet little amps.

I'll grab that Marshall, that is a speaker I don't believe I have. I gotta find some good 1x15 and some 3x10 / 4x10 for Fender. VibroKing, VibroVerb, Super & I'd like to try and find something I could resemble a Mesa Maverick, I had a 1x12 & 4x10 version of that amp. Sweet little amps.
Cool stuff. Let me do some digging and see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestions.

Not to hijack the Dirty Shirley Friedman Cab Pack Thread, cause it is an absolute killer fantastic Cab Pack. Everyone needs to grab this!
But I grabbed the Marshall G12-80's. I like these speakers.. started off with a fresh patch with the Brown Eye & used both Cone IR's of the M160 & 57. Those 80's have a lot of bottom end, but it's totally workable. Another great Cab Pack man.
Man I wish you had more, I really dig how you organize everything. Cap, Cone & Edge is perfect; easy to find, mix & keep track of & ya have a good mic selection that covers a lot of ground as well.
The only thing I don't understand, (well I do cause I'd probably do the same) is why you only charge a few bucks for your work!
If only ya had some 1x15's & 4x10's laying around!! :D

Back
Top Bottom