Dr Bonkers Guitar Cab-Oddities Volume 5: Based on Friedman Amplification® DIRTY SHIRLEY 112™ 1X12

Hi, yeah, these are great. I sat down for another session in CabLab and exported some 2 mic and 3 mic mixes. Really nice range of colors in the pack. Not too many, and definitely not too few. Cap, Cone, Edge per mic is enough for me. Lots of mics x 2 (DI and Power Amp). For 8 bucks... can't beat that with a stick!

What's your opinion on CabLab mixes beyond 3 mics? I think it depends on several factors, but I have heard it said that beyond 3 or 4 mics you start to lose clarity.
Beyond two or 3 mics plus the PZM added in -30dB to -25 dB on a 1 speaker cab and you start to get the audio equivalent of overcooked oatmeal, everything just loses definition and gets sloppy, just like in real life on a small cab.

Phil Spector was notorious for using 3 mics on one speaker in lieu of using EQ. The differences in frequency response between mics he used as EQ.

If you are really careful with mic positioning on a 3 through 8 speakers in a cab setup, you can use more mics in an IR mix, but it all depends on mix proportions of each mic and listening for that "event horizon" where you start to lose the depth and definition IMHO.

Thanks both of you for your opinion. Yes, I need a real good reason to go beyond three mics. Besides, you can see the waveform display in cab lab sort of lose its character as you add mics.

Again, real good set of captures and great options. Thanks for giving it such an attractive price point! Then again, I think that's smart.

Thanks both of you for your opinion. Yes, I need a real good reason to go beyond three mics. Besides, you can see the waveform display in cab lab sort of lose its character as you add mics.

Again, real good set of captures and great options. Thanks for giving it such an attractive price point! Then again, I think that's smart.
Thanks again for this. If you have questions on my other stuff, please let me know.

Thanks again for this. If you have questions on my other stuff, please let me know.
Just one thing. Probably something simple since I haven't had Cab Lab that long... Let's say you make a mix on CabLab and export it to the Axe FX. Say the volume of the User Cab is not as loud as most of the Factory Cabs. How do you deal with that - since from what I understand, CabLab automatically normalises the mix. In other words, can you fix this in CabLab as opposed to raising the volume of the cab block or amp block within the preset?

Just one thing. Probably something simple since I haven't had Cab Lab that long... Let's say you make a mix on CabLab and export it to the Axe FX. Say the volume of the User Cab is not as loud as most of the Factory Cabs. How do you deal with that - since from what I understand, CabLab automatically normalises the mix. In other words, can you fix this in CabLab as opposed to raising the volume of the cab block or amp block within the preset?
I am not sure. That seems like something that the Cab Lab team can advise about in that forum.

I tend to mix outside of CabLab and just convert from Wav to Syx in CabLab. In this way the levels match the factory cabs.

Fair enough. I'll investigate. One thought that comes to mind is to export a .wav, then normalise it or increase gain in a DAW. I've got some experimenting to do.

I would love to shoot a 4x12 Friedman. No touring backline company has one to rent.

I even emailed Friedman to see if there was any place near me that I could try out. No response.

If anyone in NY/NJ has one I can borrow, please PM me.

hope one day we´ll have a 4x12 friedman ;)

this is a tune i'm working on using your dirty shirley pack :

keep up the good work good doctor!

happy Chrismas!

Hi Nikko,

Is it possible I could have a link to this that I can feature on my site and that I could repost on my FB page?

this is quite exceptional. I love what you did.

Dear Dr. Bonkers,
I will be honored!
if there was a nice gift for me for Christmas, it would be this one!
thank you very much for your interest in my little DiY,
I will PM you asap!
kind regards,
Nicolas.

Back
Top Bottom