Downgrading to FW9

I can not and will not believe that there is ANYONE using the Axe 2 who is incapable of creating a bitchin' preset of their own accord. There are what? 80, 90 amp models, 120/130 user cabs? THOUSANDS of 3rd party Ir's to get people started. That's like walking into a desert and not being able to find sand.

Download Yek's and Freman's presets as see how they go about creating patches. I do feel like threads like these are a little contrived. People are either complaining in the hop that people will spell it out and reveal the non existent secret sauce or they just don't know the fundamentals of guitar tone in context. Either way, threads like this pop up every week or 2 and in a month's time, they'll have a EUREKA moment and will stop moaning and realise that it is nothing more than user error/effort that was standing in your way all along.

Rant over.

The factory presets rule. If you want to just play and not tweak, theres already a handful of amazing presets for different styles and sounds at the turn of a knob. :)

Reactions: Ole
I can not and will not believe that there is ANYONE using the Axe 2 who is incapable of creating a bitchin' preset of their own accord. There are what? 80, 90 amp models, 120/130 user cabs? THOUSANDS of 3rd party Ir's to get people started. That's like walking into a desert and not being able to find sand.

Download Yek's and Freman's presets as see how they go about creating patches. I do feel like threads like these are a little contrived. People are either complaining in the hop that people will spell it out and reveal the non existent secret sauce or they just don't know the fundamentals of guitar tone in context. Either way, threads like this pop up every week or 2 and in a month's time, they'll have a EUREKA moment and will stop moaning and realise that it is nothing more than user error/effort that was standing in your way all along.

Rant over.

The amp modelling was completely different in FW9 and some people happen to like it better. And YOU are complaining that people are posting about it? The differences in amp modelling between FW9 and 11 obviously has nothing to do with "User Error/Effort". Give the guy a break....and respect his opinion.

Last edited:
FW 9 sounded great. FW 11 sounds great in a slightly different way. Cliff said he is going to provide some shortcuts in FW 12 to achieve whichever sound floats your boat.

Woohoo. Everyone wins. High fives all round.

The upcoming firmware version 12.00 gives you the option. From the release notes:
The Amp block “Grid Modeling” parameter has been renamed and repurposed. The new name is “Modeling Mode” and offers four choices:
1. Authentic – Replicates a tube amplifier with the utmost accuracy.
2. Grid Cond Off – Turns off grid conduction modeling in the power amp simulation. This reduces blocking distortion.
3. Ideal – Removes most of the “warts” from the modeling which includes grid conduction, output transformer distortion, bias shifting and AC power supply modeling. Supply sag, screen voltage effects and crossover distortion are still modeled.
4. Ideal/Smooth – Same as #3 but also sets Triode Hardness to its lowest value. This is in essence an ideal preamp plus an ideal power amp.

The effects of these settings are most apparent when the virtual power amp is heavily overdriven (e.g. Master Volume set high). The use of these modes in conjunction with other parameters can yield idealized tones not achievable with real tube amps.

The first two choices duplicate the previous behavior of the deprecated “Grid Modeling” parameter so no changes are required to existing presets.

So this will be an option PER PRESET, not global (as with the global firmware parameter previously offered) correct (I hope?)

But the other tabs need to be hidden therefor no temptation on going to those tabs!. :encouragement:

funny I like turning all the knobs everywhere, in most advanced parameters. Makes me feel smart, also sounds good. Ya never know what you will stumble on.

The amp modelling was completely different in FW9 and some people happen to like it better. And YOU are complaining that people are posting about it? The differences in amp modelling between FW9 and 11 obviously has nothing to do with "User Error/Effort". Give the guy a break....and respect his opinion.

So then Cliff says "Hey here's how you make it sound pretty much exactly like FW 9"

And people say "Can't you just make a button for it?"

And then Cliff says "I'll make it a feature for it in the next FW"

And then some people say "Man that's too complicated."

ht

So then Cliff says "Hey here's how you make it sound pretty much exactly like FW 9"

And people say "Can't you just make a button for it?"

And then Cliff says "I'll make it a feature for it in the next FW"

And then some people say "Man that's too complicated."

that's exactly what i see time and time again.

yes, i understand it's a consumer product and people will want certain changes for ease of use or whatever, but think of how far cliff could have been with the development side if he wasn't taking the time to make wah types :p

i think many forget or don't realize he created something new with the axe-fx, and instead of just focusing on the new stuff, he's constantly asked to make it act like older gear.

the cool thing with cliff though, is whenever he stumbled onto something new and awesome, he pretty much delivers it immediately to the end user to try out - well, it used to be like that, but now it has to go through the beta team buffer so millions of axe users don't say the beta firmware broke their axe and they have a gig in 10 minutes :)

Better: per AMP block.

better: per AMP X OR Y :p

Last edited:
just had a thought regarding these new fw12.0 options...

my "studio" presets are for practice only...
maybe these are the ones that'll get the new "polished" tone..

my "live" presets could have all that stripped out so that they are more raw and natural..

and my "recording" presets for reamping would be raw too [cos the mixing process would do the polishing]

Last edited:
I just love all the choices.... Previously I ended up with all sorts fo different boxes for different things. Costa fortune and weighed too much.

But for those who get panick'ed by choice, I'm with you, but the key is to start simple and work out exactly what you need - on the premise of the Stones' song; then develop it to what you actually want. Some experts can do this straight off.

My recommendation - as I keep sayin' - is download Yek's system and presets and start by understanding how he works his magic. He uses stock amps.

I substitute stock amps for some of the ones he uses, then try out different cabs, then add additional parameters to Exp pedals... etc etc.

I do think Cliff is doing a great job here. He could so easily just sit back. He seems to be working out 'modes' for the various ways in which we all amplify our Axes: for guitar cabs, FRFR monitors, PA monitors (for those who carry zero backline to gigs), etc. If these modes are easily switchable, that would for me be a great thing to play with at soundcheck. Like being able to alter global EQ using the four Quick Control knobs.

All I can say is that if the OP has never truly played with FW 9, then he should try to embrace FW 11 as it was a big step up from FW 10. Having said that, I never really regarded FW 11 as "polished". I've never had any problem tweaking a usable tone since I had my Ultra.

It would be interesting to know more about the OP's setup and rig. Maybe it's a third party issue?

Blows me away we have 6748 views and 194 replies on such a dead end topic. I'm moving forward. Backward has no future. Just sayin.....
We need a new version of something to get excited about I guess.

We also have 204 likes as of right now, is that 204 people that prefer 9? Or is some a mix of a possible solution provided with FW12? Just remember some of the people that prefer 9 might have noticed some issues in the past that the "each FW is better than the last" crowd missed ;)

We also have 204 likes as of right now, is that 204 people that prefer 9? Or is some a mix of a possible solution provided with FW12? Just remember some of the people that prefer 9 might have noticed some issues in the past that the "each FW is better than the last" crowd missed ;)

What I thought I saw was: fw 9 = idealized, fw 11 = realistic, fw 12 = pick the one you prefer. Or to put it another way, each fw is better than the last. ;)

the "each FW is better than the last" crowd

I'm fed up with those "crowd" comments / accusations. Or "fan boys" or whatever term is being used.
It is generalization and obviously meant to offend. Do you want to be addressed in such a way? No? Then don't do it yourself.

Ah, never mind... It's been a long day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom