Does the FM9 devalue the FM3 on the used market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are you getting that amount ($850)? I'm not seeing it on Reverb, which seems to be what most people measure by. Also, where's your source data on saying "most" people wanted an FM9 (I don't and others have chimed in with similar sentiments)?
in TGP, there was on at 850 and one at 885 shipped, they sold immediately. One just sold at 875 here as well. Go check it. In reverb there s one at 900 as well. I m not saying everyone will sell. I said most wanted really a device like FM9 and compromised with FM3, as the most discussed subject with FM3 is how to add switches. These ppl will probably sell. I don't have data on this. It is my perception. I don't say it is the universal truth. Just my opinion observing the market and seeing the FM3 used market cheaper than ever.

in TGP, there was on at 850 and one at 885 shipped, they sold immediately. One just sold at 875 here as well. Go check it. In reverb there s one at 900 as well. I m not saying everyone will sell. I said most wanted really a device like FM9 and compromised with FM3, as the most discussed subject with FM3 is how to add switches. These ppl will probably sell. I don't have data on this. It is my perception. I don't say it is the universal truth. Just my opinion observing the market and seeing the FM3 used market cheaper than ever.
I'm sure they did sell immediately at those prices. Sounds like emotional reactions or because some people always price to move, so, yes, you might find one offs, but not in general.

The one on Reverb for $900 was for local p/u only. Reverb advertises the cheapest used FM3 at $999 (I suppose they exclude local stuff).

The purpose of money is to be spent, ultimately. Yeah you can do all sorts of shit with it like investing and all that, but ultimately it's entire reason for existing is to exchange it for shit you want/need. So if you got it, spend it, and enjoy the shit you buy. That's why you're buying it.
But that's only part of it. Unless you die early (and you cannot know this), there will come a time when you can't generate the same income you used to, unless somewhere along the way you learned how to use money as a tool, as opposed to simply a medium of exchange. Saying its entire reason for existing is to exchange it, is an immature understanding of money.

I'm sure they did sell immediately at those prices. Sounds like emotional reactions or because some people always price to move, so, yes, you might find one offs, but not in general.

The one on Reverb for $900 was for local p/u only. Reverb advertises the cheapest used FM3 at $999 (I suppose they exclude local stuff).
there were some others in fb groups as well below 900. In any case the point is that the FM9 definitely affects the price of the FM3. if it s short-lived is to be seen i guess.

there were some others in fb groups as well below 900. In any case the point is that the FM9 definitely affects the price of the FM3. if it s short-lived is to be seen i guess.
Exactly, it's got to be reliably reproducible. And you can't determine the value of a used car just because your buddy found a "steal of a deal" somewhere. These are statistical outliers.

The apparent value of my FM3 is pretty close to the original purchase price, using Reverb as a yardstick (I purchased before the price increase).

Last edited:
I think that people who are in panic of a potential "devalue" are much less than the delusionals who believe they will get a mint Fm3 for a dollar and complain on the internet about the high used Fm3 prices all day long during last week.

So, due to increased demand prices will also increase, at least temporarily. But the simple truth is that apples can't devalue oranges

Exactly, it's got to be reliably reproducible. And you can't determine the value of a used car just because you buddy found a "steal of a deal" somewhere. These are statistical outliers.

The apparent value of my FM3 is pretty close to the original purchase price, using Reverb as a yardstick (I purchased before the price increase).
i agree but 5-6 cases on a relatively small amount of FM3s ever sold, i would not call that statistical outliers. It will be interesting to see the next few months, as both devices will start shipping , how the used market will move.

I think that people who are in panic of a potential "devalue" are much less than the delusionals who believe they will get a mint Fm3 for a dollar and complain on the internet about the high used Fm3 prices all day long during last week.

So, due to increased demand prices will also increase, at least temporarily. But the simple truth is that apples can't devalue oranges
Maybe the delusionals are the ones making posts about the value dropping! Market manipulation!:p

Every new Fractal thing, there's an initial bulge of sellers of the previous thing. I've notice the bulge usually slows after the first few weeks. In the case of FM3, it was an initial bulge of AX8s being sold in panic by a lot of guys who regretted selling over the next year when it took a lot longer to get their hands on the FM3 than they expected.

Every new Fractal thing, there's an initial bulge of sellers of the previous thing. I've notice the bulge usually slows after the first few weeks. In the case of FM3, it was an initial bulge of AX8s being sold in panic by a lot of guys who regretted selling over the next year when it took a lot longer to get their hands on the FM3 than they expected.
1630446920297.png

Where are you getting that amount ($850)? I'm not seeing it on Reverb, which seems to be what most people measure by. Also, where's your source data on saying "most" people wanted an FM9 (I don't and others have chimed in with similar sentiments)?
Wow. I guess 850 is optimistic. Just seen one sold for 799 shipped. Crazy.

Do we all need to discuss the law of averages again???? ;)

Seems like sellers could find the highest sold listing and then assume that must be the price to sell at.

Meanwhile buyers look for the lowest sold listing they have seen and assume that is the price to buy at.

The reality is kind of in the middle of those two partial truths, no?? :)

Do we all need to discuss the law of averages again???? ;)

Seems like sellers could find the highest sold listing and then assume that must be the price to sell at.

Meanwhile buyers look for the lowest sold listing they have seen and assume that is the price to buy at.

The reality is kind of in the middle of those two partial truths, no?? :)
indeed but seems that the mid point goes lower. There is one for sale now for 825. Again let's wait for a few months as more devices will be shipped.

Maybe Cliff could come up with an Axe FM9 unit that costs only half as much but, in return, you have to watch advertisements every other minute, with an eye sensor that tracks if you really watch, and fill out lengthy questionnaires about your spending habits on a bi-weekly basis?

I'm so ready for threads like "My hi gain patches sound killer only after watching Ford Bronco commercials" or "My wife caught me filling out the questionnaire...this will be my last post"

I wish people would stop putting so much stock into gear flip/resale value. Just play guitar and stop treating your amps like investments. Beat your guitars up. Take the screen protectors off of your Fractals. Let your buddies flog your most expensive axe. Crank the hell out of your amp.

Worry about your house or your retirement funds devaluating. Don't ruin something as cool as playing guitar by constantly fretting (hah!) over the fact that your effects processor might now be worth $100 less on the used market. Life is too short for that shit and it's not very rock and roll at all.

I think this is a marriage thing…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom