Does the FM9 devalue the FM3 on the used market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time a new product gets announced, someone sells their perfectly good "previous gen" unit. Then they moan for months before their new shinny unit gets delivered because they sold it too fast and had to buy some cheap holdover thing that they lost more money on than if they'd waited to sell their "old" unit until they got their new one.

This will be no different.

Beat me to it.

They're my favorites.

Every time a new product gets announced, someone sells their perfectly good "previous gen" unit. Then they moan for months before their new shinny unit gets delivered because they sold it too fast and had to buy some cheap holdover thing that they lost more money on than if they'd waited to sell their "old" unit until they got their new one.

This will be no different.
Having savings means you don't have to do something like this.

My thought was keeping my FM3 in the studio and keep the Ax8 for live.
But hmmm, maybe sell the Ax8, get the Fm9 for the studio and FM3 Live.
I must say, editing on the Ax8 is pretty clunky once using the FM3 edit.

I wish people would stop putting so much stock into gear flip/resale value. Just play guitar and stop treating your amps like investments. Beat your guitars up. Take the screen protectors off of your Fractals. Let your buddies flog your most expensive axe. Crank the hell out of your amp.

Worry about your house or your retirement funds devaluating. Don't ruin something as cool as playing guitar by constantly fretting (hah!) over the fact that your effects processor might now be worth $100 less on the used market. Life is too short for that shit and it's not very rock and roll at all.

I wish people would stop putting so much stock into gear flip/resale value. Just play guitar and stop treating your amps like investments. Beat your guitars up. Take the screen protectors off of your Fractals. Let your buddies flog your most expensive axe. Crank the hell out of your amp.

Worry about your house or your retirement funds devaluating. Don't ruin something as cool as playing guitar by constantly fretting (hah!) over the fact that your effects processor might now be worth $100 less on the used market. Life is too short for that shit and it's not very rock and roll at all.
Amen. If you're worried about electronics (of any variety) devaluing over time, then cease worrying because that is just fact of life. Have some fun. I'm just glad Fractal is continuing to innovate.

Unless the FM3 goes out of production, or stops receiving updates, and it is replaced completely by the FM9 it will not lose value (an FM3 mk II would certainly lower the value of the current FM3).

I hope this doesn't happen in the short term, because IMO the FM3 remains the way to go:
  • In terms of portability even for those who use other pedals.
  • In terms of modularity, you can add FC6 or other switchers to it, e.g. Morningstar, or not (the FM9 can't be cut in two if you need to :p).

For the more DSP, well it depends on your needs. For the actual level of firmware development on the FM3 I'm ok.

That said I'll see in the future, not today, not this year, how much the FM3 will be left behind before I buy a new unit.

It's like the iPhone for me, I buy a new one when the iOS on the model I have has so many less features (that I would like) that it really makes a change necessary.

Last edited:

+1

Unless the FM3 goes out of production, or stops receiving updates, and it is replaced completely by the FM9 it will not lose value (an FM3 mk II would certainly lower the value of the current FM3).
You’re not getting what we’re saying here. Even when Fractal stuff goes out of production, stops receiving updates, and is replaced and obsolesced by newer products, Fractal stuff still holds its value for three reasons:
1 - Theyre iconic for how they’ve pushed the industry.
2 - The market was never flooded with them, like old Zoom or Digitech stuff. They have intrinsic cachet.
3 - The damn things just sound good. Even the oldest stuff fetches a pretty penny.

I really think that my Axe-Fx II Mk.2 is going to hold or increase in value for decades, like an air-cooled Porsche 911.

You’re not getting what we’re saying here. Even when Fractal stuff goes out of production, stops receiving updates, and is replaced and obsolesced by newer products, Fractal stuff still holds its value for three reasons:
1 - Theyre iconic for how they’ve pushed the industry.
2 - The market was never flooded with them, like old Zoom or Digitech stuff. They have intrinsic cachet.
3 - The damn things just sound good. Even the oldest stuff fetches a pretty penny.

I really think that my Axe-Fx II Mk.2 is going to hold or increase in value for decades, like an air-cooled Porsche 911.
Axe Fx II mk2 is sold for 1.000€. This is what you paid?

Axe Fx II mk2 is sold for 1.000€. This is what you paid?
I said decades. When the 964 came out, no one gave a shit about the 930. Look at the prices for an air cooled turbo now. Whomever sold for 1k eu gave it away. And no I don’t remember what I paid.

Last edited:
I said decades. When the 964 came out, no one gave a shit about the 930. Look at the prices for an air cooled turbo now. Whomever sold for 1k eu gave it away. And no I don’t remember what I paid.
Axe II mk2 are sold for like 950 USD. it was launched at like 2200. The POD HD500X for example, that was launched at the same period retained more of its value today. Also there is always the issue that these old electronic devices will start having component failures, that cannot be fixed, if not started already.
People are selling the FM3 for like 850, so yes the FM9 has affected the value of the FM3, as most people that got the FM3 wanted an FM9 in reality and many of those will sell it.

The purpose of money is to be spent, ultimately. Yeah you can do all sorts of shit with it like investing and all that, but ultimately it's entire reason for existing is to exchange it for shit you want/need. So if you got it, spend it, and enjoy the shit you buy. That's why you're buying it.

If I pay $1K for an FM3, and get a couple years of enjoyment out of it, that's money well spent. Even if I never use it again and never sell it. Same for guitars. They're meant to be played and enjoyed.

You get one life. Don't look back on it and say "I wish I'd had more fun".

Axe II mk2 are sold for like 950 USD. it was launched at like 2200. The POD HD500X for example, that was launched at the same period retained more of its value today. Also there is always the issue that these old electronic devices will start having component failures, that cannot be fixed, if not started already.
People are selling the FM3 for like 850, so yes the FM9 has affected the value of the FM3, as most people that got the FM3 wanted an FM9 in reality and many of those will sell it.

That is only partially true. Or maybe barely true. Plenty of folks chiming in around
here about how they are keeping their FM3 regardless of the 9. :)

Selling an FM3 for 850 is obviously reactionary dumping on the market. I have no sympathy and I’m out of this discussion.

Where are you getting that amount ($850)? I'm not seeing it on Reverb, which seems to be what most people measure by. Also, where's your source data on saying "most" people wanted an FM9 (I don't and others have chimed in with similar sentiments)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom