Does the FM9 devalue the FM3 on the used market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That one is mine :) Lots of offers at $625 haha Didn’t purchase the FM3 but I am looking to get the FM9
The cost of used AX8s was why I opted to wait on the FM3. I like to hold it up as an example especially as people are fretting over what will happen to the FM3 resale value.

The cost of used AX8s was why I opted to wait on the FM3. I like to hold it up as an example especially as people are fretting over what will happen to the FM3 resale value.
It seems common for people to view music equipment as an ‘investment’ these days. I hate that trend, it’s the opposite of what music is about, for me. Also, in the past year especially, there are too many flippers out there.

If I net $800 selling my AX8, that means it cost me $120 per year over the past 6 years. For the countless rehearsals and numerous shows I’ve used it for, it was worth it.

If you want something that will hold its value, you can buy a Twin Reverb. Modellers are computers that will typically go down in value over time, but they offer many other perks.

If you want something that will hold its value, you can buy a Twin Reverb. Modellers are computers that will typically go down in value over time, but they offer many other perks.
Totally agree. At the time it really didn't make financial sense. I forget the asking prices then, but it was going to basically cost me $900 for an AX8 vs wait and pay $1K for the FM3. It also really piqued my curiosity about Fractal to see those high resales. Anyway, glad I waited.

Last edited:
Personally I could care less, but since the question was raised I got curious today and took a look at Reverb:

1631158381146.png

Well, if everyone's so confident they'll command those prices, then all they'd have to do is put it up on Ebay with no reserve.
Seems like that price point makes sense, given that Fractal is sold out of new units. Once they can deliver it'll probably come down some, but I'm guessing not much.

Seems like that price point makes sense, given that Fractal is sold out of new units. Once they can deliver it'll probably come down some, but I'm guessing not much.
Sure, if for some reason you have to have one right now, and can't wait to get a new one with a warranty, and are willing to take the chance that it wouldn't need anything that would cause you to go in your pocket, and pay for a possible repair that would've actually put you over the cost of a new one. Those prices aren't good enough for me to take that risk. I'd just wait for a new one. But I've said that enough. People buy for all sorts of reasons. I'm just more conservative. And if I had one to sell, I'd wait until the FM9's start making their way into the wild, let the dust settle a bit.

Personally after much thought and investigation, I've just bought the FM3. For me, it was the only contender from Fractal due to size really. My alternatives were the HX stomp and the Quad Cortex. So for people like me, the FM9 has no bearing on my choice.

Sure, if for some reason you have to have one right now, and can't wait to get a new one with a warranty, and are willing to take the chance that it wouldn't need anything that would cause you to go in your pocket, and pay for a possible repair that would've actually put you over the cost of a new one. Those prices aren't good enough for me to take that risk. I'd just wait for a new one. But I've said that enough. People buy for all sorts of reasons. I'm just more conservative. And if I had one to sell, I'd wait until the FM9's start making their way into the wild, let the dust settle a bit.
I'm not saying I'd pay that price either, I'm just reporting what's out there. As I said, it's merely interesting since the question was asked.

You can argue pros and cons all day long, but your own personal feelings aren't going to change the current market. This really sort of mirrors what happened with the AX8 on the FM3's launch.

Which are asking prices.
Sure, that's understood. There's a lot said about "ridiculous" prices on Reverb. You can certainly find those, but I find the price summary which I posted useful as it tells you where the bottom is.

Last week the bottom was around $875. That tells me those units got purchased and so it is creeping up, which makes sense, because no new units are being shipped and the FM3 is still in demand.

I'm just addressing the title of the thread with evidence.

And for FM3's sold that include other items..., wouldn't those sales skew the history #'s?
Not really sure what you're arguing for/against? That the FM3 holds its value?

Again, I'm just addressing the OP. As I stated above, I don't buy with an eye for resale (unless its stock shares or other investments).

Using Reverb as a measure, it is difficult to argue that the FM3 is losing any ground. Not everyone on there is a profiteer, that's why I like to judge by the bottom prices. If I were selling, I could feel good about myself selling mine at break even or maybe for a small profit given the current availability state.

Not really sure what you're arguing for/against? That the FM3 holds its value?
That was just a question that I was curious about. I mean, when Reverb posts the Price Guide, how can those prices truly represent what a used FM3 is worth, since some of them sell with an FC6, some include pedals, on a board, others include commercial presets & IR's...?

So when someone here says, "Oh, just look at what they're selling for. They obviously hold their value," I say, not as much as it may appear.

But in general, it looks to me that the introduction of the FM9 has made the FM3 on the used market less valuable. Supply & demand economics are pretty basic, and when the 9 was announced, the #'s of 3's that I saw on Reverb increased daily. I recall seeing people here willing to sell theirs for around 800.

I get the sense there's a lot of knee-jerk reactions to get their 3's sold. There's an ad here (well, was, looks like it was deleted) for FM3, guy listed it for 11, then right away dropped the price to 1050, now ebay shows it "ended", not "sold", @ 1k. So not sure what happened, whether it was sold here maybe, then the ebay ad was taken down...? But I just don't understand the rush to, 1) get it sold in the first place (he said he's getting a 9), and 2) 3 days listed and right away, 2 price drops! Now, even if he got a grand for it, that DOES NOT reflect what FM3's are going for, because his had $300 additional gear included.

And my overall point is, just because there's a bunch out there at 1100, certainly doesn't mean that's what they're worth, or even selling for. Of the 17 on Reverb right now, 13 are "Accepting Offers," and many include other items.

That was just a question that I was curious about. I mean, when Reverb posts the Price Guide, how can those prices truly represent what a used FM3 is worth, since some of them sell with an FC6, some include pedals, on a board, others include commercial presets & IR's...?

So when someone here says, "Oh, just look at what they're selling for. They obviously hold their value," I say, not as much as it may appear.

But in general, it looks to me that the introduction of the FM9 has made the FM3 on the used market less valuable. Supply & demand economics are pretty basic, and when the 9 was announced, the #'s of 3's that I saw on Reverb increased daily. I recall seeing people here willing to sell theirs for around 800.

I get the sense there's a lot of knee-jerk reactions to get their 3's sold. There's an ad here (well, was, looks like it was deleted) for FM3, guy listed it for 11, then right away dropped the price to 1050, now ebay shows it "ended", not "sold", @ 1k. So not sure what happened, whether it was sold here maybe, then the ebay ad was taken down...? But I just don't understand the rush to, 1) get it sold in the first place (he said he's getting a 9), and 2) 3 days listed and right away, 2 price drops! Now, even if he got a grand for it, that DOES NOT reflect what FM3's are going for, because his had $300 additional gear included.

And my overall point is, just because there's a bunch out there at 1100, certainly doesn't mean that's what they're worth, or even selling for. Of the 17 on Reverb right now, 13 are "Accepting Offers," and many include other items.
You're obfuscating the issue. Reverb is pretty clear about that bottom price for a used FM3 was $1,100 yesterday. Yes, you can find some deals that include other stuff, but if you wanted a used FM3 on 9/8/21 that was the bottom price.

The rest of your post is heavy on opinion and almost sounds like you want the value to come down (which wait long enough and it will). I've posted cold hard numbers. If I had posted it last week, you would've seen an increase from about $875 to $1,100. Opine all you want, but find data to support your claim. There's no way all the sellers are conspiring to up the price when actually the market is falling, not gonna happen.

The take away from this thread: If you want to buy at the lowest price, do not hesitate. The time to buy a used FM3 was just after the FM9 was announced. Now you will wait (either for delivery of an FM9 or for the FM3 to eventually descend).

Obfuscate, heavy on opinion, I've posted cold hard numbers, opine. Whatever dude! I'm not arguing!! Just stating my observations, and yes, was quite careful to word my post with "It looks to me," & "I get the sense," & "may appear." This is a waste of my time.

Obfuscate, heavy on opinion, I've posted cold hard numbers, opine. Whatever dude! I'm not arguing!! Just stating my observations, and yes, was quite careful to word my post with "It looks to me," & "I get the sense," & "may appear." This is a waste of my time.
If you're not arguing or trying to get some point across, then why respond in the first place? All I did was post a couple of prices, without any personal opinion other than to say I was curious what was happening.

I do think there is some knowledge to be gained though. As stated above, the best time to buy is immediately when many are having "knee jerk" reactions. You see the same thing frequently with stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom