Does the FM9 devalue the FM3 on the used market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both good dudes making good points, near as I can tell. :)

I do have a suspicion that both of you are conspiring to get me to go to Reverb.com
and look around for myself. I am NOT doing it. That place is fraught with danger and
diabolical levels of temptation. ;)

The issue really deals with perceptions more than actual usage. With the processing power being almost 4 times that of the FM3 and combined with more switches believe the FM3 used market will increase significantly and price will drop more and more as time goes on. Right now there is a 'wait list' for the FM9 which helps the FM3 a bit especially on the current used market. I love the current footprint of the FM3 but that is weighed against its much lower processing power and less switches. If the FM3 had similar processing power to the FM9 especially dealing with reverbs I would probably take that over the FM9 but it doesn't . . . . . . . . . . .

Screenshot_20210915-124411.png
Looks like topping off at just under 1k on flea bay. I guess enough haven't sold on reverb to show the history of the actual selling prices rather than just the asking price.

View attachment 88621
Looks like topping off at just under 1k on flea bay. I guess enough haven't sold on reverb to show the history of the actual selling prices rather than just the asking price.
I'd say our posted prices are in agreement because there's still bidding to be done on these. That one at $725-which is really $765, has almost a week to go yet. It'd be more interesting to see the closing prices.

Last edited:
I'd say our posted prices are in agreement because there's still bidding to be done on these. That one at $725-which is really $765, has almost a week go yet. It'd be more interesting to see the closing prices.
Im just saying I'd like to see the time line graph that reverb usually has on stuff. On ebay it looks like the initial bidding war has concluded and now it's the waiting game to try and one up the other bidders at the last minute. I'm curious as well.

The Fm3 is definitely doing better than the Axefx3 mk1 I paid $2500 for a couple years ago lol....but that's ok. It's just like any other cutting edge peice of electronic tech I've bought over the last 30 years.

All a question of personal taste and needs. If you're gigging live and just use one sound with a few effects (as many do), the FM3 is the ideal thing. Why would one want an FM9 for that? In a Coverband with one preset and 2-5 scenes per song, one probably would think about buying an FM9. It's a good portfolio that FAS brought together. So I expect prices for the FM3 not to fall in general because of the FM9.

Last edited:
I think FAS gear has traditionally held 75-85% of it's value in the used market place. For the latest gear that always depends on how used it is. I know I have a cream puff getting ready to hit the forum Soooon!

I think FAS gear has traditionally held 75-85% of it's value in the used market place. For the latest gear that always depends on how used it is. I know I have a cream puff getting ready to hit the forum Soooon!
AX8s are still going for around $850!!!!

Haven't read the whole thread...

If you're interested in having the 'best' then buy it.

I have had sympathy for guys that bought the Ultra, or the II just before the next generation of AxeFX was announced. But if you're speculating on the AX8/FM3 market, then speculate better.

The FM3 is still a great AND CURRENT piece of kit.

Just for fun, here's a weekly update. Going to try and include the number posted as well (going off memory the supply is trending up some):

1632312141489.png

It's the update that you probably don't want or need. Interesting that the number available dropped a bit:

1632953142981.png

The are now 26 results for selling the FM3 on reverb.com. Some are kind of bogus but the point is that many previous FM3 owners are moving to the FM9 as they become more available. The FM3, in excellent condition, could drop into the $800 range or less in a couple of months. Most of the current posted sales have 'Make an Offer" which was not the case a couple of months ago. Not sure that persons in the market will want to purchase new at $1100.00 vs the FM9 at $1600. If you go to the Fractal Audio FM3 buy page, it's virtually empty with a small photo of the product at the bottom with even the price in smaller text. The FM9 page is completely the opposite. This tells me where Fractal is going with this. I would speculate that the FM3 will go legacy in less than a year. Does not make sense for a small company to write updates etc for these two units over time. The FM9 will be the fractal floor standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom