Does FM9 system backup from non-turbo restore correctly on Turbo?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM

As the other guitarist in my band just purchased his FM9 Turbo and we'll probably have "mirror" setups, I'm curious if I can perform a full backup of my unit and restore it to his?

Mostly concerned about the system backup as presets and IRs I think will work fine...

As the other guitarist in my band just purchased his FM9 Turbo and we'll probably have "mirror" setups, I'm curious if I can perform a full backup of my unit and restore it to his?

Mostly concerned about the system backup as presets and IRs I think will work fine...
Yes, it's all identical except for the CPU speed.

Cool... We'll confirm soon enough :)

He's also generously offered to swap his Turbo for my non-Turbo since I will definitely use the extra processing power and he likely won't. A small amount of money will be involved to cover the difference in price and new vs used, but I thought that was very cool of him!
Very cool indeed.

He's also generously offered to swap his Turbo for my non-Turbo since I will definitely use the extra processing power and he likely won't. A small amount of money will be involved to cover the difference in price and new vs used, but I thought that was very cool of him!
I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work. Only the CPU changed.

I don't know why it wouldn't. Just make copies of your FM9 layouts, saved blocks, and templates (in presets) and save these to your Fractal Audio > FM9-Edit folder on your computer. All you need do with the Turbo is import them from the saved FAS folder one at a time and save them to your FM9T.

EDIT: Not sure blocks can be imported. Layouts and presets, yes; will need to recheck if blocks can be.
RE-EDIT: Sorry, gentlemen, no feature currently exists with which one can import a block. You can save one to your folder, but not import one not currently on your unit.

Last edited:
I don't know why it wouldn't. Just make copies of your FM9 layouts, saved blocks, and templates (in presets) and save these to your Fractal Audio > FM9-Edit folder on your computer. All you need do with the Turbo is import them from the saved FAS folder one at a time and save them to your FM9T.

EDIT: Not sure blocks can be imported. Layouts and presets, yes; will need to recheck if blocks can be.
RE-EDIT: Sorry, gentlemen, no feature currently exists with which one can import a block. Yo can save one to your folder, but not import one not currently on your unit.
No need to export. I want to take a full backup and then restore it.

I want all the system settings ;)

Worked for me too. I was fortunate enough to get my FM9 last November and the bass player in my band just got the Turbo last week. He swapped with me since I’d use the extra processing power way before he’d need it. Took about 10 minutes to have it all transferred and tested out. Played two gigs with the Turbo already 😎

No need to export. I want to take a full backup and then restore it.

I want all the system settings ;)
Worked for me too. I was fortunate enough to get my FM9 last November and the bass player in my band just got the Turbo last week. He swapped with me since I’d use the extra processing power way before he’d need it. Took about 10 minutes to have it all transferred and tested out. Played two gigs with the Turbo already 😎
Could you guys describe how you created a full backup and restored it to the FM9T? With FractalBot? If so, there's your answer. Perform a systems backup and save to folder, then use FractalBot to perform a systems update to the FM9T with the most recent OS/files/folders.

Could you guys describe how you created a full backup and restored it to the FM9T? With FractalBot?
That’s how backups are made. ;)

If so, there's your answer. Perform a systems backup and save to folder...
A full backup is more than just a system backup. There are presets and cabs, too.

...then use FractalBot to perform a systems update to the FM9T with the most recent OS/files/folders.
When you say “systems update,” do you mean “restore?”

Could you guys describe how you created a full backup and restored it to the FM9T? With FractalBot? If so, there's your answer. Perform a systems backup and save to folder, then use FractalBot to perform a systems update to the FM9T with the most recent OS/files/folders.
In FractalBot, you need to change from the Send page (where you load firmware or restore backups, or load IRs, or presets) to the Receive page.

When you click Start it will bring up a dialog to select what you want to backup...

And to be clear, I already know the answer - I wasn't asking how to backup and restore. I was asking if the backup from one unit was compatible with the other.

[…] then use FractalBot to perform a systems update to the FM9T with the most recent OS/files/folders.
The FM9 Turbo ships with the most current firmware for the FM9. There’s no reason, or way, to update it further until another revision is released.

Using Fractal-Bot, simply create a full backup of the FM9, then restore those files to the FM9 Turbo. I’d probably tell FM9-Edit to do a refresh just to make sure it picks up the presets and cabs but that’s just me.

The FM9 Turbo ships with the most current firmware for the FM9. There’s no reason, or way, to update it further until another revision is released.

Using Fractal-Bot, simply create a full backup of the FM9, then restore those files to the FM9 Turbo. I’d probably tell FM9-Edit to do a refresh just to make sure it picks up the presets and cabs but that’s just me.
So you'd need to restore Banks A though D.syx, the systems.syx, and user cabs.syx, yes? Respectfully, that's what I was trying to say regards restore or systems update...

So you'd need to restore Banks A though D.syx, the systems.syx, and user cabs.syx, yes? Respectfully, that's what I was trying to say regards restore or systems update...
A "system update" is firmware, and that's not part of the backup/restore process.

The backup can do everything into a single sysx if I remember correctly, but yes, those are the components.

The backup can do everything into a single sysx if I remember correctly, but yes, those are the components.
The cabs can be combined into a single sysex, as Factory Presets have that option in the distributed .zip file. Fractal-Bot doesn't offer it though unless… maybe… it's a magic contortion.

I'm not sure that the System+FC can be part of that same file though. Sysex can contain and be whatever data the manufacturer wants as long as it'll slip through the MIDI pipe, but I haven't seen anything documenting that particular file format.

PS: I spent some time reading through the published FAS Sysex spec and it only seems to be concerned with the preset contents… hence my thinking the files will only work with individual presets or bank(s). I'd love to be corrected on that because I'm fascinated by the idea of being able to parse the preset and create an inventory database, especially for the factory presets and doubly-especially for the Wiki, and unexpectedly running into globals or FC information would spin me down an undocumented rabbit hole that I'd rather not go down.

Last edited:
A "system update" is firmware, and that's not part of the backup/restore process.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying that. Systems update was my inept description of restore. (That reminds me...time to do a backup for my recent layouts reworking...)

Back
Top Bottom