Does anyone use a distortion pedal in front of the Axe-Fx 3?

I used to do this a lot with the Axe FX II. Favoured clean amp models were Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb. Occasionally Hiwatt or Vox AC30. Weird how I gravitate towards amp models where I am really familiar with the physical amp. They are great, and behave in a familiar way, so I don't doubt the accuracy of the models of amps I always dreamt of that go on to disappoint. ;)

Pedals tended to be mild drive: Klon Clone, Boss BD-2, OCD 2, Full drive 2, and of course a Tube Screamer (TS-10 back dated to TS-8 circuit with mods most often.) At some point maybe 3 years ago I figured out I was generally trying to replicate a particular feel, quite often with a Fender amp parked next to the Axe FX rig, and my long term pedal obsession was obstructing me from embracing what the Axe FX can do.

Since I got the Axe FX III, almost 2 years ago I guess, I don't think I have taken a single stomp box back out of the crates I packed them away in. (Actually I did, thinking about it, but just to check what fuzz pedals I still own a few weeks back).

In answer to the original question, I used to, it works well, but it feels slightly pointless after a while. I used to "kind of" care that I couldn't quite replicate the feel of a Klon or a Keeley modded Boss BD-2. Between v13 software and @2112’s recent video on the drive blocks, I think might have got over it.

Liam

Aye! I have a mimiq doubler connected to the input-output 3 as a loop. Easy enough to connect a different pedal to input -output 3 to try it out that way as well. I have the mimiq doubler sitting near me on top of the desk, quick and easy to swap a pedal in place of it. 👍
How’s the Mimiq working for you?

Yep! Full pedalboard with drives, modulation, wet effects all in front of the Axe III. Sounds amazing!
Hey, please help me with the setting of the axe fx for using the pedal board...as in ..any change in the input parameters or whats the signal chain in the axe fx coz when i try using a pedal, it doesn;t sound anything good....
Thanks in advance!

I love the Suhr Badger 18 as a clean amp when using real overdrive pedals with the Axe (my favourite cab in this case is Legacy #43 4x12 Recto SM57). I'm a big fan of overdrive pedals of any kind and the Suhr/Recto combi fits all of them, making me smile everytime I'm into.

Does anyone place a distortion pedal (for example the Suhr Riot or EVH 5150) in front of the Axe 3 (front instrument input) then put a clean amp and cab in the grid layout. If so what clean amp do you like or prefer?

Just curious. Thanks!!
I feel like a complete idiot when I read these boards. How do you guys know so much about so many amps, efx, etc.etc I feel like I am reading a different language. Where is a good source to learn about this stuff without having 30 years experience?

I feel like a complete idiot when I read these boards. How do you guys know so much about so many amps, efx, etc.etc I feel like I am reading a different language. Where is a good source to learn about this stuff without having 30 years experience?
There's an author named Dave Hunter who's written a couple of great books- detailed, but approachable- the one on effects is a little old now, so the exact pedals discussed are all "classics" now, but it's a really interesting, easy read that's worth picking up if you can find it. I think it's been out of print for awhile. He has one on dream rigs, one on amps, one on pickups, and one of effects. Start with the effects one.

There's an author named Dave Hunter who's written a couple of great books- detailed, but approachable- the one on effects is a little old now, so the exact pedals discussed are all "classics" now, but it's a really interesting, easy read that's worth picking up if you can find it. I think it's been out of print for awhile. He has one on dream rigs, one on amps, one on pickups, and one of effects. Start with the effects one.
Thanks. I'll see if I can find it.

Just found him on Amazon. He has quite a few books on Amps, tones, etc. All in paperback, none on Kindle that I see. Thanks for the info.

Hey, please help me with the setting of the axe fx for using the pedal board...as in ..any change in the input parameters or whats the signal chain in the axe fx coz when i try using a pedal, it doesn;t sound anything good....
Thanks in advance!
So here's my main preset for use with my pedalboard. The two inputs are setup the same, but create a dual pathway for stereo from your pedalboard all the way through to the output. I use the front input and input 2L on the back as the two inputs. From there, set amp gain to taste, make sure you have everything panned correctly and you should be good to go.

Disregard the PEQ and Delay, they were experiments... I don't use those.Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 4.28.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 4.31.09 PM.png

I have several clients who use analog overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals in front of the AxeFX. The cool thing is that different amp blocks react differently to the same pedals so more options to finely craft your tone.

I run an Analogman modified Fuzzface because it cleans up so much better than the Axe Fuzzface and a Fat Fuzz Factory for the velcro, both out front. Planning on adding a WMD Geiger counter too.

Basically I just want fuzz + weird in my pedals because Axe does basically everything else

I run an Analogman modified Fuzzface because it cleans up so much better than the Axe Fuzzface and a Fat Fuzz Factory for the velcro, both out front. Planning on adding a WMD Geiger counter too.

Basically I just want fuzz + weird in my pedals because Axe does basically everything else
If its ok with you, please help me with the axe fx settings you use for putting pedals in the front ? I tried a keeley super phat mod in the front and it sounded horrible....just makes me thing if its something about the inout settings. I dont like the fuzz and muff tones in the axe either!!

Thanks

Dont be too harsh on yourself! It's all just fun, after all. If you haven't watched That Pedal Show on YouTube, it's a great resource. I thought I knew a lot about pedals until I watched it, and got THOROUGHLY schooled.

You don’t want to slam the inputs of the axe so you may have to set the level of the pedal lower than in front of a tube amp. Also experiment how the pedal reacts to different amps and clean vs edge of breakup etc.

Super new to all this but those are a few I’ve picked up so far

Back
Top Bottom