Does anyone use a distortion pedal in front of the Axe-Fx 3?

Megadebt

Experienced
Does anyone place a distortion pedal (for example the Suhr Riot or EVH 5150) in front of the Axe 3 (front instrument input) then put a clean amp and cab in the grid layout. If so what clean amp do you like or prefer?

Just curious. Thanks!!

Seymour Duncan 805. Not in front, but at the FX loop

The 805 has a 3-band active EQ that I don't know how to replicate at the Axe-FX III drives. The versatility of having these B/M/T buttons for instant tweaking is priceless.

Last edited:
Dang, I really should get to know this Axe Fx 3 better. I just bought a Suhr Riot when the Axe Fx 3 has three of them - duh me! In my defense I've been in a funk/rut as of late.

I am about to bring my TubeScreamer for a church concert in a couple of weeks. Will test it out properly first, of course. The reason is that I am going to play the 12-stringed Stick, which has two outputs and I want to be able to instantly kick in and out overdrive on just one set of six strings while keeping the other six strings clean for chord and bass playing. And I need to go portable on these gigs, only using the AxeIII's two pedal inputs for an expression pedal (volume) and a switch (next scene).

But sound-wise I see no reason to not use the Axe's onboard dist. When using guitars and electric cello I always go with the built-in modules.

I've just switched from the III to a FM3, I'm running my King of Tone (high gain both sides) in front. Sounds amazing

Reason to do it was to save footswitches and blocks for more 'interesting' drives - but amazed with the results sounds so good, and the A/D convertors can handle a ton of level

I run a Blackstone overdrive on my board, because it's my favorite pedal, and not in the AF3, and admittedly, I could 100% do without it- but I had the board real estate, and it's nice having it there, so why not? Works great in front of the AF3.

I have a ton of different OD and distortion pedals. The Axe III takes all of them really well. Last night, I spent an hour with a sound consisting of a clean Fender model, boosted by the OCD LP model which in turn was being boosted by my Behringer VT999 Vintage Tube Monster. Best OD sound I've ever had. The models are just as good as the real pedals IMO, so there's no real need for anything external.

Fuzzes, bit crushers, and other non-traditional gain for me, though I use input-output 3 as a loop. Right now, it’s a Beetronics Swarm and WMD Geiger Counter. Trashy, glitchy filth. I’ve tried a couple of regular drives, but there’s enough variation on traditional gain inside the box already.

I'll echo the second part of the OP's question. What clean amp model do you prefer on the Axe 3 when running a physical distortion pedal or AIAB type pedal in front? I have a collection of distortion pedals and it would be fun to try this. I'm thinking of selecting something like a Fender Deluxe or Hiwatt model, but am curious what works well for others. From what I recall, several of the pedals were designed "expecting" to be run into the input of a Fender clean channel.

Last edited:
Fuzzes, bit crushers, and other non-traditional gain for me, though I use input-output 3 as a loop. Right now, it’s a Beetronics Swarm and WMD Geiger Counter. Trashy, glitchy filth. I’ve tried a couple of regular drives, but there’s enough variation on traditional gain inside the box already.

Aye! I have a mimiq doubler connected to the input-output 3 as a loop. Easy enough to connect a different pedal to input -output 3 to try it out that way as well. I have the mimiq doubler sitting near me on top of the desk, quick and easy to swap a pedal in place of it. 👍

Back
Top Bottom