Does anyone use a distortion pedal in front of the Axe-Fx 3?

Does anyone place a distortion pedal (for example the Suhr Riot or EVH 5150) in front of the Axe 3 (front instrument input) then put a clean amp and cab in the grid layout. If so what clean amp do you like or prefer?

Just curious. Thanks!!
The only one I would consider using is the Boss HM-2, I actually have one of these, bought [I think] in 1990.

Y'know, for the Swedish death metal/buzzsaw sound [Entombed/At The Gates etc]. I suppose that doesn't cover your query fully though [clean amp], just my ten cents.

I'm not smart enough to replicate this in the Drive block.

To avoid a similar situation to the Suhr Riot, check out Yek's guide to the Fractal Drive models, it tells you what all the Fractal Drives are based on, plus with all the advanced parameters in the Drive block, it's also possible to roll yer own.

Oh, one other thing bud. You can turn any Amp block into a Drive block by disabling the Power Amp simulation, sticking in front of an amp, and adjusting the block with the Power Amp disabled, just like a pedal, [Drive/B/M/T]/ I tried this for a giggle and it worked. The Leggy amp model [i.e. Vai's Legacy amp] with Power Amp disabled into a totally clean Fender amp model. If you were to do this with a 5150 amp model, you could stick it into a clean amp and emulate the pedal, if you wanted.

The only one I would consider using is the Boss HM-2, I actually have one of these, bought [I think] in 1990.

Y'know, for the Swedish death metal/buzzsaw sound [Entombed/At The Gates etc]. I suppose that doesn't cover your query fully though [clean amp], just my ten cents.

I'm not smart enough to replicate this in the Drive block.

To avoid a similar situation to the Suhr Riot, check out Yek's guide to the Fractal Drive models, it tells you what all the Fractal Drives are based on, plus with all the advanced parameters in the Drive block, it's also possible to roll yer own.

Oh, one other thing bud. You can turn any Amp block into a Drive block by disabling the Power Amp simulation, sticking in front of an amp, and adjusting the block with the Power Amp disabled, just like a pedal, [Drive/B/M/T]/ I tried this for a giggle and it worked. The Leggy amp model [i.e. Vai's Legacy amp] with Power Amp disabled into a totally clean Fender amp model. If you were to do this with a 5150 amp model, you could stick it into a clean amp and emulate the pedal, if you wanted.
I've got a MIJ HM-2 and haven't sold it yet, on account of not having one in the Axe.

Awesome tip about the amps though!

I feel like I do get a better response from my actual Ibanez TS808 but others might disagree. I break it out once in awhile and replace my 808 block with it. I just use it as a boost and set the drive to zero. I have my saved virtual 808 block named ZeroDrive because I use it exclusively to push a virtual amp just like I would with a real Tube Screamer and amplifier.

The actual 808 does seem to have a different effect on the EQ and that’s part of why I use an 808. It’s a gain boost but it’s a also coloring the tone. I rarely set the level to ten but I know a lot of people who set the level at ten with no overdrive.

As always, your mileage may vary.

I feel like I do get a better response from my actual Ibanez TS808 but others might disagree. I break it out once in awhile and replace my 808 block with it. I just use it as a boost and set the drive to zero. I have my saved virtual 808 block named ZeroDrive because I use it exclusively to push a virtual amp just like I would with a real Tube Screamer and amplifier.

The actual 808 does seem to have a different effect on the EQ and that’s part of why I use an 808. It’s a gain boost but it’s a also coloring the tone. I rarely set the level to ten but I know a lot of people who set the level at ten with no overdrive.

As always, your mileage may vary.
The TS808 in the Axe Fx is modeled on a TS9 ;)

The TS808 in the Axe Fx is modeled on a TS9 ;)

Interesting, I have a DS9DX Turbo TS too and now I’m wondering how that might play with the software. I’ve never broke that out with the Axe-Fx and from what I remember it has multiple modes. It probably includes the original TS9 circuit if that’s the technical term, whatever we’re calling it.

I don’t see the harm, is there any downside to what the OP is suggesting? If you’re adding a crayon to the box that you don’t already have that’s a plus. The only downside would be something sonic but I can’t tell the difference. To me it’s the difference between hitting a Pro V1 and Pro V1x, maybe I’m not good enough to feel the difference but I can still break 80 on the reg...

Interesting, I have a DS9DX Turbo TS too and now I’m wondering how that might play with the software. I’ve never broke that out with the Axe-Fx and from what I remember it has multiple modes. It probably includes the original TS9 circuit if that’s the technical term, whatever we’re calling it.

I don’t see the harm, is there any downside to what the OP is suggesting? If you’re adding a crayon to the box that you don’t already have that’s a plus. The only downside would be something sonic but I can’t tell the difference. To me it’s the difference between hitting a Pro V1 and Pro V1x, maybe I’m not good enough to feel the difference but I can still break 80 on the reg...
If you search the wiki I am pretty sure the details are there. I think the T808 model is actually one of the "modes" of the TS9DX.

If you search the wiki I am pretty sure the details are there. I think the T808 model is actually one of the "modes" of the TS9DX.

So, I have a 2XL+ and the Wiki shows 3 models of the Tube Screamer but I only have 2. Only the Axe 3 has the TS9DX and the 2 models in my Fractal are based on the 808. The Turbo model in the 3 is based on the + mode.

Still, I don’t mind real pedals in between my pickups and the Axe so it’s worth checking out. If it sounds even slightly different than what I could get from the software it’s a probably worth toying with. That’s half the fun of tone chasing, trying new ideas.

So, I have a 2XL+ and the Wiki shows 3 models of the Tube Screamer but I only have 2. Only the Axe 3 has the TS9DX and the 2 models in my Fractal are based on the 808. The Turbo model in the 3 is based on the + mode.

Still, I don’t mind real pedals in between my pickups and the Axe so it’s worth checking out. If it sounds even slightly different than what I could get from the software it’s a probably worth toying with. That’s half the fun of tone chasing, trying new ideas.
The T808 models in the Axe Fx II specifically are based on the TS9, not a TS808...

I think that is the same for ALL the Fractal units.

I have it all different... I am using Darkglass Alpha Omega as the 3rd line pararell (2 pararell lines are clean amp and distorted amp), and it's all 'baut the bass....

I have a ton of different OD and distortion pedals. The Axe III takes all of them really well. Last night, I spent an hour with a sound consisting of a clean Fender model, boosted by the OCD LP model which in turn was being boosted by my Behringer VT999 Vintage Tube Monster. Best OD sound I've ever had. The models are just as good as the real pedals IMO, so there's no real need for anything external.
One thing I've wondered regarding using OD and distortion pedals in front of the instrument input, because I'm also concerned about using them in front of digital processors, do you have to make changes to the input level compared to just setting the input level to your pickups? I know what the manual says about the input level and it not being about clipping, but I would think a gain pedal would be just the thing to push an analog-to-digital input to disaster.

One thing I've wondered regarding using OD and distortion pedals in front of the instrument input, because I'm also concerned about using them in front of digital processors, do you have to make changes to the input level compared to just setting the input level to your pickups? I know what the manual says about the input level and it not being about clipping, but I would think a gain pedal would be just the thing to push an analog-to-digital input to disaster.
You can end up clipping the input with an overdrive/distortion pedal. To avoid that, set the pedal so it doesn't clip the input and apply a volume increase digitally with a volume block.

There are so many different setups you can do with the axe but my preferred for ultimate hybrid tone is 4CM and between the FM3 hitting the front of the amp I'll put in OD/Drive pedals. I find the front of the amp can take these "better" than the front of the FAS unit. I mean both work but you can drive the heck out of the amp whereas it has more rammifications in driving the FAS unit hard.

If your setup was just Pedal --> Axe3, go for it, I'd just be a bit tamer than hitting a real amp.

I was using my precision drive, but no need now that it is included. The only pedal I put in front of my Fractal these days is the Black Art Works Pharaoh Fuzz. The axe fx loves it, red light tickles all around. . . LOL

I have a couple of OD pedals that I sometimes carry with me to new venues and place in a loop in front of clean or clean-ish amp models. I've done this as long as I've gigged with modelers in places where there are significant unknowns. It's just a security blanket in case something is weird or off with the room or PA. I can just lean down and fix a crunch or solo tone while I'm playing.

Again, this is nothing against the Fractal which could also be tweaked to sound as good. It's just so quick and easy and I've had these pedals for decades so looking down and seeing them is also kind of like seeing a friendly face.

Back
Top Bottom