Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

• Yes

Votes: 57 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 200 77.8%

• Total voters
I haven't vibed with the DynaCabs to be honest. I can see the value, but I personally haven't been able to get something sounding better than what I'm getting with factory or third party IRs. Maybe I'm wrong, but since an IR captures not only the characteristics of the cab and mic, it is also capturing the nuance of mic placement and (probably to some extent) other variables like resonances in the room, specifically what the cab is sitting on.

Again, this may be a naive statement, but if a good engineer set up a cab and mic'd it in a good sounding space, then captured an IR from it, I'm having a hard time believing I'm going to do a better job moving those virtual mics around in two dimensions. So far my ears are confirming that.

Legacy cabs aren't going anywhere. Purchased Dyna Cabs rely on legacy user cabs to load custom IRs and mixes from Cab Lab.

Beach gigs ?? Errrrrrr , are you on the pipe ?

Anyone knows if @austinbuddy has Preset DC’s on the way ?
In the new 2024 +PlusPack all the Bank - cleans have a Dynacab option… and all the new 2023 amp models in Bank 2 like the RevGenn and Mark II more recently added are only Dyna Cabs if my memory serves… for any new amp presets I make am using DynaCabs mostly… unless the Factory cab has a special EQ goodie I like.

In my recent comments I was in no way suggesting dyna cabs are a replacement. Just that they are very useful. They are captures just as legit as so-called “Legacy” cabs. Actually better if you consider what they are exactly. I think the only issue is that they must be very time consuming so the choices of all the different combinations of cabs, speakers, microphones, mic preamp and even what the cab is reacting with are limited for now.

Oh and I'm a “Playa”…just one that came from the days when us “Playa’s” had no choice but to do our own mic setups for gigs. Well if we wanted it to sound good.

OK - I take back (partly) what I said about Dynacabs sucking. (see my previous post in this thread if you want). But with a caveat of course.

I'm new to the FM3 so slowly building up some personal presets. Previous try at Dynacab was a Metallica preset with legacy T75 speakers. Well there's no real equivalent (YET?) in Dynacabs. So my take-away was they kinda sucked.

But tonight made a quick Zeppelin inspired preset (quite simple really - plexi + greenbacks essentially). In this case, a legacy 4x12 1960 300W w/ 57 & 160 mics, compared with a Dynacab 4x12 1960 TV with Dynamic 1 and Ribbon. Tweaked mic positions to my liking. Low and behold in this case I prefer the Dynacab! More presence. Less congested. Like a blanket is lifted off.

So there you go... I just wish and hope more cabs and speaker choices come to Dynacab soon enough (that's the caveat), and I'm sure they will if it's Fractal's future vision for cab sim/IRs.
I had a suspicion some of the issues was from people wanting heavier sounds and couldn’t get there with the choices. Those that the speaker acted much more as a filter to obtain their tone. I’m more an edge of breakup to overdrive fusion guy. Although I like a good nasty sound for certain stuff. Hopefully it will all come around in time.😀

Sorry - deleted my post because I realized 300W 1960 isn't Greenbacks haha...

But my assessment still stands after switching the Legacy to the more appropriate 4x12 Brit 70s GB (same mics, 57 B and 160 D)... Closer than my initial comparison with the 1960 300W but still the same conclusion. Just changed the mic on Dynacab 1960 TV from Dynamic 1 to 2 from my initial comparison.

The Dynacab has a smoothness to it. And as mentioned in my deleted (but still quoted above by @GitGuy513) - there seems to be a bit more presence in the DCs... for lack of a better term or explanation.

I didn't like them at the beginning. I'm more of a hard rock/metal guy and the Mesa Straight with a 4x12 v30 with a dynamic mic (SM57) sounded so thin and bright and even adding a ribbon mic It was still far from what I was used to vs the great YA Mesa 4x12 or even YA Mesa 212 IRs that were my go to IRs. Also at rehearsal I was totally lost in the mix with my band.

Then some months later I gave them a new try, this time with the condenser mic and it sounds much more like the amp in the room to me, less compressed and more alive but I still was not fully happy.

Then recently at rehearsal, stage volume, I decided to try all the Dynacabs and one of them was the MC90 Dynacab with condenser+dynamic 2 mics slightly misaligned and wow, that is now my main sound! Both through frfr at rehearsal dry and headphones with a touch of room it sounds so alive and 3D,. It's hard to explain with words as English is not my main lang, but I'm now a dynacab fan and legacy IRs sound too processed or "blank over the cab" to me.

This was another proof of tweaking with your ears and not with your eyes. I truly believed "I had to use" the Mesa Straight 4x12 v30 with a 57 because... well... "that is metal" and it also was the cab I used to have before going all frfr. But with that setup in Dynacabs it sounded far from what I was used to (cab behind me, not the recorded sound). The MC90 with condenser+dynamic2 mic sounds like how I reminded the 4x12 behind me. This dynacab is truly amazing, seems like it was recorded differently to the other dynacabs, even volume seems higher with it that with the others.

I hope not. Dyna Cabs are awesome but I’ve been happier with my live sound lately using IRs. I just revisited some factory presets after refreshing with FM3 8.0 Cygnus X3 and they sound great! I’ll be incorporating some of the factory cab settings with their matching amps in my live presets for next gig.

For me, it depends on the preset. Some work well with DynaCabs, some work well with the supplied IR. User preference really. IR's I have received from Worship Tutorial's FAS presets, sound the best with their supplied IR. Presets I have made on my own, I tend to float to DynaCabs...both have their place in my set ups.

nope and the current method to get new dynacabs onto the unit makes little sense. The idea of dynacabs was to streamline being able to find a cabinet sound without having to randomly bounce through impulse response lists. Having to use software to create an IR and then save it to the unit is even more of a process. Having said that, the Ownhammer IRs sound far better to me than any of the DC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom