Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

• Yes

Votes: 57 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 200 77.8%

• Total voters
absolutely for me, I’ve got pretty much all the IR collections from the usual suspects and have spent a lot of time working out what works for me.

Dynacabs have rendered that unnecessary

Dynacabs are awesome and FAS did a great job implementing it. After you’ve picked a cab type and mics and adjusted and blended to your liking, you have picked 1 or 2 IR’s out of the many. Maybe in the thousands. I wonder how many IR’s for each mic on a cab type? Not sure if every position was shot or interpolated from some crazy mad Cliff algorithm. So far I haven’t beat my fav IR’s. Part of this may be that I use phones a lot and prefer UltraRes.

Yes and No.

I love them in concept. But I've not had time to really replace cabs in all my presets and honestly don't plan to at leawst not any time soon. If I got things sounding perfect what's the point of changing the cab and then trying to match what the legacy cab did? However, any new preset I build I won't be using Legacy cabs.

I don't think so.

Dynacabs are excellent and for me (non-professional) the 80/20 of getting a great sound - playing more tweaking less...might be the novelty of it but I pick a cab that gets me in the ballpark and do the 57/121 thing and carry on.

But there will always be a desire for some users to experiment with all the variables available in an IR to get a sound they enjoy or prefer over what's available in Dynacabs and the amount of variety in the IR's fractal has blessed us with in the units is just amazing.

I don’t know yet because I did not update because I’m on tour right now.

But when I will update I will try to test the dynacabs as if legacy cans were not available anymore.

That’s a great way to adapt and find new great tones.

Not for me.

I find that EQing/filtering an IR that's close is plenty good enough for me. That being said, I also haven't played with dynacabs yet....I don't generally do beta firmwares and use an FM3. I'm basing this on other similar "move the virtual mic around" things I've used in the past.

EQs/filters make more sense to me than mic positions....and after I figured out the sound I really like, I haven't actually played with my cab block. It's been months since I even looked at it.

I'm not sorry it's there...it's very compelling for a lot of people, but I really don't care one way or the other.

Legacy stock IRs (and the shitload of 3rd pty ones I've purchased) became obsolete for me the day dynacabs were released, due in no small part to the automatic assignment of a measured accurate cab IC which I think is the sleeper game-changer feature of fw22 along side the graphical selection. Imo having to find and set IC to match cab selection in legacy mode made the often already tedius rabbit hole of IR selection into a completely unmanagable one (though I appreciated Fractal's early pioneering of the inclusion of this important modelling aspect), not to mention that cab IC and associated amp reactionary impact is not intuitivly recognizable to many since it takes place automatically irl when any given cab is attached to any given tube amp. As far as cab selection goes, 3 dozen+ varied dynacabs each with a range of hi quality accurate mic/mic positions is tonnes to cover any cab base I can imagine needing to go to (but if there's more coming, then that's even gooder).

Last edited:
I have presets with Legacy cabs that sound great, and I don’t feel like messing with them. Others have Legacy cabs that are not quite what I wanted, even though I have thousands of them built into the modeler and that I purchased, so I changed them to Dyna-Cabs and was able to find a sound I liked.

The two cab types can coexist in the system because they each have their respective storage spaces so pick whichever you like. Flexibility is important and is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom