Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

Do you think the Legacy Cabs will become obsolete now that we have the Dyna Cabs?

• Yes

Votes: 57 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 202 78.0%

• Total voters
Don't forget that the cab block has a room sim, which can add the environment's room tone back for the shorter Dyna-Cab IR's, plus it's adjustable and full bandwidth which the longer ultrarez IR's aren't.

I gave it another try on a copy of one of my fav presets. Really it’s not bad. Good in fact. Sounds more pure and clean in some way. More amp in roomish. I did see on the room page the proximity frequency but no proximity adjustment. Didn’t mess with that one. It’s a great tool to have in the box. Still like my fav IR’s better though. But I will say I’m getting closer.

I gave it another try on a copy of one of my fav presets. Really it’s not bad. Good in fact. Sounds more pure and clean in some way. More amp in roomish. I did see on the room page the proximity frequency but no proximity adjustment. Didn’t mess with that one. It’s a great tool to have in the box. Still like my fav IR’s better though. But I will say I’m getting closer.
Proximity is how close the mic is to the speaker... You don't need a control for that with Dyna-Cabs because that's controlled directly.

For me - Cablab has, it’s changed my workflow and I like it.

Now I pull up an amp model get the gain levels right, then create an IR for that preset in cablab.

Then I use the amp tone controls to fine tune.

To me this feels faster, more intuitive and more like how you’d tend to use an amp in the ‘real world’

Not me either. All my own presets use UltraRes Cabs, some of which are 3rd party and they sound great.
I've tried the Dynacabs and wasn't able to dial it in to sound better or even as good as my existing cab settings.
I will at some point try again and see if I have better luck.

Tried a Dynacab (1960TV) and oof did it ever suck. Will continue with Legacy for now.

EDIT: to explain why I think it sucked (rather than just saying 'it sucked')... Sounded like an unbroken-in speaker. Very harsh. Mic placement couldn't dial it out. Ironic as Dynacabs are pretty new... Hopefully Fractal "breaks them in" some more with future releases lol...

Comparing that 4x12 1960TV Dynacab (dynamic and condenser) to a 4x12 Uber T75 factory legacy cab (57 cap edge, 414 cap).

Last edited:
Tried a Dynacab (1960TV) and oof did it ever suck. Will continue with Legacy for now.
I was gonna ask, which mics did you try, what positions, distances etc, since those would be reasonable questions about using any cab pack. But actually, if you're happy, you're happy, you don't need my nose in your biz.

Reactions: LCW
I was gonna ask, which mics did you try, what positions, distances etc, since those would be reasonable questions about using any cab pack. But actually, if you're happy, you're happy, you don't need my nose in your biz.
Dynamic and Condenser (1 on each cab in the panel). See above I added to my response to describe why I thought it wasn't very good and what I'm comparing it to.

Just didn't give me the sound I was going for. I moved the mics all around.

Same. I bought the TV pack and mixed trying all mics and positions, and exporting Ultrares IR’s. Still can’t beat my usuals so I stick with them. I’m happy with them so no reason to change. I love the Dynacab concept and the interface is really good. But they sound funny to me.

There must be some psychoacoustic strangeness in the way different people hear or want to hear their guitar sound. I have found the DynaCabs to be one of the best things added. It has made dialing in a great mic’d cab/speaker sound so much easier. I have mentioned this before, but for someone like me who spent most their life micing up speaker cabinets it just seemed to come natural. Especially when recording.

Well, I guess that what choices are for. Fractal sure gives choices.

There must be some psychoacoustic strangeness in the way different people hear or want to hear their guitar sound. I have found the DynaCabs to be one of the best things added. It has made dialing in a great mic’d cab/speaker sound so much easier. I have mentioned this before, but for someone like me who spent most their life micing up speaker cabinets it just seemed to come natural. Especially when recording.

Well, I guess that what choices are for. Fractal sure gives choices.

Hearing perceptions are unique to the listener. Like bright caps on Marshalls. I don’t like that high mid honk but plenty of people do. And Dynacabs are the same. I don’t like them but it appears the majority does like them.

Reactions: LCW
Hearing perceptions are unique to the listener. Like bright caps on Marshalls. I don’t like that high mid honk but plenty of people do. And Dynacabs are the same. I don’t like them but it appears the majority does like them.
Yeah, “psychoacoustic” is mostly about how humans hear and perceive sound. The bright cap on Marshall’s is a yes/no, on/off sort of thing. The DynaCabs are quite…uhm dynamic. Although the Marshall “bright cap” thing is a unique issue in and of itself.

if I was in fact giving a criticism at all, it is to some of the comments that seem to suggest they’re illegitimate (suck) in someway. That approach would make saying some people’s idea of good tone “sucks” just as legitimate. I would never say something like that…😉

Seriously, it’s all good. I definitely can see how some would be partial to certain specific cab sims/IR’s. Especially if they have third party stuff.👍

Back
Top Bottom