Do you keep guitars you don't really use, if they're nice/rare/expensive?

Got me a Peerless New Yorker 3 years ago and hardly play it once a year. Thought a few times already about selling it, but the thing is so damn nice that I cannot get off it, yet.
Keep my first Jap double fat strat deluxe of 1985 without hardly touching it, even after a nice upgrade with Klein SC PU, and think about selling it, but there's so much history in that "first" one that I cannot get off it, yet.
Any other unused Equipment - not an instrument - will get sold in no time as "Equipment" loses it's value in no time. Wouldn't take the risk to wait selling a formerly high value tube amp in this Axe FX age.
It surely is a first world problem and I guess that I don't need the money "enough". If I would I guess I'd sell them in no time and probably for a bad price.
Moral of the story : better sell material when you don't need the money as you will probably get rid of it for a good price as you're not in a hurry for selling. So - even if money is not the issue - if you have a project, you'd better not wait for being in a 2nd or 3rd world situation and having to get rid of these.

Thanks for the geetar candy Luke.

How's the new studio, finished?

Finished this past Monday. Several of the guitars belonged to Steve, some I purchased directly from him, others by knowing where they resided between Steve and I.

Finished this past Monday.

It's a beautiful thing. I followed your build and really enjoyed your approach.

I have also built a room within a room and was hoping to obtain more sound proofing then I ended up with. How is your sound proofing?

In my room at 110 db, i get too much low frequency build-up and it just escapes the room via the concrete foundation.

Finished this past Monday. Several of the guitars belonged to Steve, some I purchased directly from him, others by knowing where they resided between Steve and I.

Those Hamers will be worth some serious coin one day (if not even worth a lot now), especially since Fender pulled the plug on production.

I wonder how many Rick N. has; he's quite the guitar horder of the best kind?

It's a beautiful thing. I followed your build and really enjoyed your approach.

I have also built a room within a room and was hoping to obtain more sound proofing then I ended up with. How is your sound proofing?

In my room at 110 db, i get too much low frequency build-up and it just escapes the room via the concrete foundation.

My weak link is the door still, the bottom gasket to be exact. My mother-in-law made me a door sausage that I filled with sand, it now covers the gap and I attached it to the door so it is a lot better. I have 55-65db reduction everywhere but at the door bottom, that's only about 45 db. We play at around 85 db so there is no issue, but the door was sold to me as -54db, which it isn't, even with the aid of the sausage.

Basically the sausage has a metal bar along its top edge which in turn has eight brass screws holding it to the door. The sand cylinder is it's own pocket and about 2" in diameter. It covers the entire gap and helps a lot.

My weak link is the door still, the bottom gasket to be exact. My mother-in-law made me a door sausage that I filled with sand, it now covers the gap and I attached it to the door so it is a lot better. I have 55-65db reduction everywhere but at the door bottom, that's only about 45 db. We play at around 85 db so there is no issue, but the door was sold to me as -54db, which it isn't, even with the aid of the sausage.

Basically the sausage has a metal bar along its top edge which in turn has eight brass screws holding it to the door. The sand cylinder is it's own pocket and about 2" in diameter. It covers the entire gap and helps a lot.

Good idea. Even at 45 db reduction at the door, you're still only left with 40 db of nuisance, which is nowhere near cop or annoyed wife/kid territory.

For the door, my builder just added some weather proofing to the door sills and I use 2 doors, one interior and one thick exterior door, so my leak is not at the door, it's the whole floor, since the concrete floor is attached to the house foundation.

I prefer not to. I believe guitars were meant to be played, plus I don't need extra clutter or wall hangers. That said, I have a few I don't play that I keep for various reasons. Usually its because they are not in a condition to sell or the brand is not marketable. A few years ago I bought a blowout Malden Karma guitar back when they were blowing out their stock for around $250 a guitar.

Malden

I did some upgrades to it, but never did bond. I suppose I could sell it, but like a fool I put too much money into it upgrading. I'd take a big loss even if I managed to find someone who'd buy it. It's not a known brand, and would likely be much, much more difficult to sell on the open market.

Problem with money in the bank is it tends to... disappear...

Getting spent in ways you can't fathom a month or so later...

An old friend of mine from NY use to have more then 120 guitars , but he allways played his 335 only....Good investment in PRS old stock....

Problem with money in the bank is it tends to... disappear...

Getting spent in ways you can't fathom a month or so later...

That's why my money is in the stock market, growing like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom