Do you keep guitars you don't really use, if they're nice/rare/expensive?

NickSwampMKE

Inspired
I have a couple guitars that I rarely use, if ever.

I've been considering offing them and either picking up something that I would actually use, or just banking the cash.

What would you do?

I personally am a minimalist and unload everything immediately unless there is sentimental value. I think it's a very personal decision though and is different for everyone.

One has some sentimental value (PRS Artist 22), so I will probably keep it forever and hopefully pass it down one day. And the other isn't quite as sentimental, however, it is a really nice Les Paul Standard that's signed by Les Paul (with photographic evidence of the signing) that I've owned for 12 years.

I figure I could sell one and at least paritially fund a Suhr or a Warmoth clone of a Suhr + bank.. But I'm just on the fence.

First world problems, I guess...

Well certainly don't sell the PRS and I would think long and hard about the Les Paul. It might just be better to buy anything new out of pocket, could always flip that if later you needed.

Yeah, I guess I kinda figure that I've kept it this long, I may as well hold on to it.

Just curious to see what other would/have done this situation.

The PRS is definitely staying forever.

personally id rather have one spanking good guitar as my every day driver, ie id sell all for a suhr ect
however expect to wait about 6 months for any custom build off anyone, and if your selling stuff for something like that id do a lot of research

I consider most of my guitars pretty ultiliarian.

$300-600 Ibanez RG's & S's with good pickups- a few with sustainer systems.
Other than my JEM i got last year cheap (and put a white sustainer in it)

NOW-
For investments...
Everyone says about 50s 60s Gibsons/Fenders- "Oh man I wish I knew then how much they'd be worth"

So- i'm 28- I think "Hmmm what can I get cheap now that will be the next 5 figure guitar"

So I bought one- It's in the case and I've never really played it...

It's an original mint/like new- Hohner Prince Telecaster - the expensive version- Worth 1500-2000 now- I paid 1 dollar shy of 4 digits for it...

And I'll sell it when it's worth $10,000+ and I know it will be.

I have 3 guitars that I use regulary , Suhr Modern Custom Koa for hard rock and metal , one PRS CU24 for rock , fusion parts and my Fender American strat withSuhr pups for blues , pop rock ...I need them all...

I've got a one-in/one-out policy in my house with very rare exceptions... and also went through a phase of liquidating the case queens. It was tough to narrow down to one LP, but I think the act has rewarded me by forcing more bonding time. I also kept a cheap ibanez that I put a lot of upgrades into. Its an awesome player, and I'd never see the same value back out of it.

I've really embraced the minimalist concept since then. Over the next few years I'll probably add a couple true customs (Daemoness, Abyss, etc.) Then clear out everything else and take that pair to the grave.

Quality over quantity every time.

I've got a one-in/one-out policy in my house with very rare exceptions... and also went through a phase of liquidating the case queens. It was tough to narrow down to one LP, but I think the act has rewarded me by forcing more bonding time. I also kept a cheap ibanez that I put a lot of upgrades into. Its an awesome player, and I'd never see the same value back out of it.

I've really embraced the minimalist concept since then. Over the next few years I'll probably add a couple true customs (Daemoness, Abyss, etc.) Then clear out everything else and take that pair to the grave.

Quality over quantity every time.
I have a similar policy. And new cabs or amps or whatnot bring on accessory sales.

The problem is just so much quality! Heh.

Depends on if I have a lot tied up in it or not, and sentimental value. I've sold some off before and regretted it, so if I don't have to I wont sell.

Depends on if I have a lot tied up in it or not, and sentimental value. I've sold some off before and regretted it, so if I don't have to I wont sell.

That's a great point too. I failed to mention that as I was clearing house, it hurt to see the old friends being sold off... time heals all wounds though.
That said, never ditch a great playing & great sounding instrument. Never.

Nope. I don't like the idea of unused instruments. I've sold a few guitars in the past and haven't regretted it once. I get a little scratch. Someone gets a good deal on a guitar they'll actually play. Win win.

Could you sell something else to fund a new axe? I would not part with them. Like DP said, I've regretted a few I "let go" over the years.

How many Lesters do you have?

I have 15 geetars and no Lester and it's really starting to get on my nerves....I wouldn't sell the Lester you have and since you have stated you will never sell the PRS (btw I have a Navarro signed by Paul, but apparently he's an autograph whore, so it probably won't be worth much, that and it's a Navarro sig... :mrgreen), so the answer seems academic to me.

How many Lesters do you have?

I have 15 geetars and no Lester and it's really starting to get on my nerves....I wouldn't sell the Lester you have and since you have stated you will never sell the PRS (btw I have a Navarro signed by Paul, but apparently he's an autograph whore, so it probably won't be worth much, that and it's a Navarro sig... :mrgreen), so the answer seems academic to me.
Just one. But I also have a much more rare, less-desired, sonex 180-custom.

I'm actually from a small town outside of Waukesha, WI, which is where Les is from. Apparently, he's signed a lot of autographs there, but I can't say I've seen any others in person.

www.nickburbey.com
www.facebook.com/nickburbeyguitar

Back
Top Bottom