do you hear more fret buzz using modelers?

LVC said:
OK attached is a copy of the patch and a link to a recording I made with my iphone (buzz is more pronounced in person).

I get the same "fret' type buzz with ALL of my guitars.

It is annoying as hell -- especially if you are a typically clean player.

Link to sound example

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8976188

I dunno man.
Based on the rest of this thread and your comments about this only happening after the Axe has heated up, and the fact that your new unit appears to be fine, and on Cliff commenting about the possible bad solder joint; it appears like you really had a hardware malfunction.

But based on your clip and on the posted sysex files it sounds to me like you've just got a bit of dirt on that preset that would go away by lowering the Gain or the Master parameters.
I.e. I don't hear "fret buzz" per se. What I hear is the amp being overdriven when you hit the strings hard enough.
You also might want to turn down the Input knob a bit.

LVC said:
Like I said, I am getting a replacement unit. Hopefully in my case the buzz is nothing more than a bad XLR jack.

Regarding the use of "filters" to get non-existent fret buzz out --- to me this is completely unacceptable.

so here I am with

1) $2,000 top of the line digital platform
2) $1,000 FRFR speaker
3) top of the line custom built guitar

If I don't run an EQ -- eradicating "x" frequency my guitar will sound like a cheap POS guitar instead of of my custom built dream guitar....

Sorry but I do not buy it and this is not an acceptable solution to me.

if there is a 9.03 software glitch that causes the frequency anomaly -- then it should be addressed and fixed.
Agree 100%.

My point about the EQ was assuming he actually had buzzy frets and was hearing them louder through the Axe-FX. It should definitely not be a cure for the wrong problem. I took a guitar back to a shop four times because of fret buzz in two very particular spots, 12th to 14th fret high E and B strings and 4th and 5th fret G and D strings. They suggested and did something else every time I was there, just so they wouldn't have to dress the frets as I asked them. Higher action, thicker strings, even said my picking was too hard. Buzz local, fix local. Never buying there again. Bugger because they have a very nice collection of PRS's. Did you know the PRS private vault poster costs €250? Anyway. Finally dressed the frets myself. Did a great job, buzz gone.
Fix a problem where it starts, I say!

I sometimes hear buzzing too, but I'm pretty sure it's the tweeter in my left monitor. Luckily it only does that when I really crank it.

Glad the new Axe is buzz free.

FractalAudio said:
Probably a bad solder joint. When the unit heats up the resistance will increase. Rare, but it happens, especially with the new lead-free solders.

Just got back to my home office after leaving her running for about two hours --- so far sooo good.

Thank you all for taking care of this for me and getting me a new unit so quickly.

What can I say .... Major props for a well managed company!

joegold said:
LVC said:
OK attached is a copy of the patch and a link to a recording I made with my iphone (buzz is more pronounced in person).

I get the same "fret' type buzz with ALL of my guitars.

It is annoying as hell -- especially if you are a typically clean player.

Link to sound example

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8976188

I dunno man.
Based on the rest of this thread and your comments about this only happening after the Axe has heated up, and the fact that your new unit appears to be fine, and on Cliff commenting about the possible bad solder joint; it appears like you really had a hardware malfunction.

But based on your clip and on the posted sysex files it sounds to me like you've just got a bit of dirt on that preset that would go away by lowering the Gain or the Master parameters.
I.e. I don't hear "fret buzz" per se. What I hear is the amp being overdriven when you hit the strings hard enough.
You also might want to turn down the Input knob a bit.

It was buzzing --- I have a very light touch when I play. Also the same "dirt" should have been present in output 2 (but it was not) -- also why would the "dirt" kick-in only after the unit got hot?

Anyway -- she sounds better now!

joegold said:
LVC said:
Anyway -- she sounds better now!

All's well that ends well.

Yep --- I was freak'n out -- I actually had no amps in my house .

On Friday i shipped out my last high end amp -- a Bludotone 80's dumble rig ---

So for the first time since I was a kid -- I did not have ready access to a tube amp.

I will not be completely tubeless for long (I do need to have some tubes around) -- I have a combo coming from Glaswerks in a few weeks (his new Zingaro).

considering the number of high end boutique amps I have owned - when I told my fellow cork sniffers that I was playing my Axe more and more and XXX, xya, and xxx boutique amps less and less -- they all looked at me like I was completely nuts.

I did a couple of gigs with the Axe and I did not miss any of my high end amps --- so here I am -- just me and the Axe (and an incoming Glaswerks combo).

Life is good!

and if I get the email saying your Fractal MFC 101 controller is ready for shipping ---- Life would REALLY be good!

Hi everyone. I thought I would give an update on the original issue that caused me to start this thread.

I've been using an SLA1 and my 2x12 guitar cab and a mic to play live because I kept hearing so many audio artifacts when I hooked the AxeFx up direct.

However, after realizing that typical guitar amp speakers don't reproduce much of the sounds above 4Khz I purposed to try playing live direct to the PA again with the global EQ set to minimize the frequences above 4K. I finally was able to do this today and was very pleased with the results. The sound was actually comparable, perhaps even better, than when I mic'ed my speaker cab. Today was the first time I've ever actually enjoyed the sound in our Aviom system. The sound guy told me he left me flat at the PA for the first time ever as well. The band leader said "I loved your sound today!"... :) I played my Les Paul classic through a couple of patches based on the Mr. Z 38 Sr., edge of breakup tones... one with delay and one without. My Les Paul just LOVES that amp... :)

SUCCESS!

Bottom line: I was hearing sounds in the frequency range between 4K and 20K (which our monitors and our direct monitoring (Aviom with headphones) DO reproduce) that are not nice guitar sounds....

I used to hear exactly these same type of audio artifacts when I tried to play live with my Tonelab SE years ago. I remember people talking about using Post-EQ to make it sound better back then... should've made the connection. Thank goodness for top-notch filtering/EQ options on the AxeFx!

I LOVE this unit. I can finally get on with with playing....

I do need to get a decent midi foot pedal.. the fcb1010 is not cutting it... (ie. it never ends.... lol)

Happy Sunday all!

I was thinking about this a bit more this morning and wondered why the cab sims in the AxeFx don't do the filtering that I'm doing with my global EQ.

Does the fact that I'm having to do this filtering to remove sounds that real life speakers don't tend to reproduce mean that the cab sims are not quite true to real life? Is this a conscious design decision made in the AxeFx for more-than-real-life flexibility?

It's not a big deal to me now that I know how to fix it. But I wonder if the out-of-the-box experience might be better if the default for the speaker sims was to filter frequencies more like real life?

Cliff, I have no doubt you are right. You know a lot more about this than I do.

But, I am confused why a given amp, cab simulation run thru a stage monitor includes amplified sounds that I don't get when a given amp sim is run thru a physical cab. These aren't terribly subtle sounds I'm talking about it. The non-guitar players I perform with notice their presence / absence as well. In the one case I need to run global EQ to knock out the sounds and in the other (physical) I do not.

Thanks again for such a killer product. It has completely transformed my approach to recording and playing live. I am a walking advertisement for you at this point. :)

banjoze said:
But, I am confused why a given amp, cab simulation run thru a stage monitor includes amplified sounds that I don't get when a given amp sim is run thru a physical cab.

I never used AxeFx through a power amp and/or guitar cab of any kind so I cannot compare it with doing direct or to stage monitor.
But the fact is that every stage monitor DOES color sound a bit, difference shouldn't be huge but there is some.
And if you are experiencing huge difference in sound then it has to be wrong setup or wrong tweaking...

OK, I've just got my Ultra back. The board has been replaced but I'm still getting the horrible metallic ringing through output 1. Is anyone out there experiencing this problem? I really don't know what to do now... :? :cry:

Nic, if you record direct from Output 1 and then Output 2, can you see the difference in the sound using an audio editor?

Thanks for your input Gerald, I appreciate it.

Unfortunatley my ancient laptop is not up to much so I would struggle running software like audio editors and the like.

However, I have since realised something quite embarrassing :oops: ...

My output 2 had a global eq pulling down the 4k and 8k! This in effect puts me back to square one and that either:

1) I have wasted the time of G66/Fractal in getting the thing 'repaired' when the problem is in fact the guitar (despite the guitar shop and an independant tech telling me its fine)
2) Both outputs are not right
3) The problem is in my ears and I have wasted everybody's time!

Today I'm going to spend some more time on it. My glimmer of hope is that if I was that convinced that output sounded better, I should try blocking similar frequencies with some PEQ after the cab sims in my patches - I'm currently blocking at about 7k

Back
Top Bottom